corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » handbrake sticking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author handbrake sticking
b3attie

User status: Offline
15th Dec 11 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi iv got a 2005 corsa 1.8 sri that im having a problem with the handbrake.
i went to drive the car erlier i put the hand brake down and the car didnt move, put my foot down a bit to pull off but it felt like the brake was still on so i went to the end of the street and tirnd around.
i could then smell the brakes, but when i puled the handbrake up there was no tention there and it wouldnt hold

just fitted new discs and pads.

i jacked the car up to have a look but even tho the handbrake was off the rear wheels was not moving freely.
i checked the handbrake cable ( all that i could see intil it gose behind the heat shealed) all the cable seems okay and i sprayed some wd40 on the runners.

i then pulled the cable thet gose across the rear axel and the wheels then moved okay but went to try the handbrake and the same thing happend again.
i also tryed tightning the handbrake but still no luck.

could some one please shred some light on this before i take it to a garage in the week please
thanks

Ste
Premium Member

15th Dec 11 at 16:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you take apart the rears at all? Would be worth taking them apart and making sure you've built them up right.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
b3attie

15th Dec 11 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah completely stripped the brakes down and rebuilt them with new discs and pads and proper soaked everything in wd40, it seams free at the calipers but the cable aint returning when let the brake off, is there adjustment or anywhere between the axle and the handle tht it could be getting caught on??
mattant

15th Dec 11 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had my rear break shoes done the mechanic said he didn't want to tighten the cable too much because Corsas are known for the handbrake sticking, so maybe try loosening it?
b3attie

15th Dec 11 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ended up taking all the cables off and it war a freyed cable tht was catching inside the cover.
johnhara1

15th Dec 11 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had asimilar problem on my focus. I loosened the hand break cable right off, soaked the sticking caliper in wd40 and cleaned it up with an old tooth brush.

Tightened hand brake up and it's superb now.

New Poll