corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N40L Microserver

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author N40L Microserver
Doug

User status: Offline
5th Dec 11 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

I am tempted to buy this to sit next to the TV as a media server that will plug into the TV directly to play the stored media. Obviously I would need to put a GFX card in there for that first. I would want to put Windows Home Server on it. I assume you can install VLC etc on it to play the media directly?

John

5th Dec 11 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just put 7 or server 2k8 on it.

Can you not get something in a tiny case with the same specs for that price though.
Dom

5th Dec 11 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's doable but they aren't the fastest machines in the world (having setup a few N36L's) and a decent graphics card will be a struggle. Have a look at the huge thread over on OCuk forums >HERE<, do a search within it and you'll find people using them as HTPC's etc.
There's also one over on AVForums that is worth looking at.

John - the £100 cashback is the reason people are trying to using them for everything, but personally i'd be looking at an ION board; something like a Asus AT5IONT-I.
Doug

5th Dec 11 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the storage space that sells it to me. I currently have 3TB's that I could place in it from my existing tower.

I could then sell my big tower parts and maybe get mac mini for my computing needs.
ENB

6th Dec 11 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have two of these, one is a file server the other is for backup; so both mass storage, which they're ideal for.

I wouldn't choose to use it for anything graphic heavy as there isn't much room in the case for a GFX card; unless you cannibalise it a bit but that would reduce the room for your HDDs.
Nismo

6th Dec 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We got one in to try out as a micro CCTV server for small camera systems, doesnt cope well! so i wouldn't consider it for a media centre myself.
noshua

6th Dec 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The drives you already have are internal right?

I'd go with an Ion based small unit like Acer Revo or similar, but then you'd have to buy external caddies for the hard drives.
noshua

6th Dec 11 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then again you could probably build one for not that much more than a Revo or similar if you you dont want external drives lying about.

New Poll