corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Media server vs network hard drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Media server vs network hard drive
ljames555

User status: Offline
20th Nov 11 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone whose clued up what the differences are? Advantages and disadvantages?

Im basically after a external hard drive to store data but also for films that I download which will be viewed with a ipad(streamed over the wifi)
noshua

20th Nov 11 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can the iPad stream without conversion? I.e xvid and h.264 in Avi and mkv containers?
ljames555

20th Nov 11 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now youve lost me
Toby
Premium Member

20th Nov 11 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if your ipad can play the above codecs (xvid/h.264) in the above file formats (avi and mkv) then go for a networked hard drive as it will be cheaper than having to use a media server along with storage (i.e. a hard drive). If not then you will need the server to be able to transcode it into a playable format and then stream over the network

[Edited on 20-11-2011 by Toby]
noshua

20th Nov 11 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have an iPad myself but I'm sure they can't play any AVI or MKV containers.

You'll need something to transcode them into a format which the iPad can play. Basically, you need something in the middle that will take your downloaded films and convert it and pass it onto the iPad in a format which it can play, in real-time. Unless you're going to sit there for 100's of hours converting the films you download?

The "something in the middle" would be a computer, you can use any computer with the right software, however it'll have to be on and running the software whenever you want to stream to the iPad.

You could use a media server in the place if your desktop/laptop instead of leaving it on all the time - laptops get quite hot!

TVersity will do the job, not sure if it's the best though.

New Poll