corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Situation...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Situation...
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
20th Nov 11 at 05:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I'm kind of stuck with the direction I want to go with my car. I'm bored of the power it's running now, it's fast and beats a lot of nice cars but it's not fast enough. I doubt anything will be but I've got my car looking exactly how I want it to and I really don't want to get another car. I'd hate to start from scratch.

I need more power... Darkside Developments do a GTB 2260 turbo kit that bolts onto the unmodified 1.9 TDI engine which with supporting mods (which I already have except the 'race' injectors') it should see near enough 300bhp on a realistic 'heart braking' dyno. The advantages of this over my current setup is that with the injectors and better mapping I should have a near enough smoke free 300bhp diesel that won't have sky high EGT's and should genuinely be a lot stronger and nicer to drive. The disadvantage is that I'd be approaching the absolute limit in terms of tuning the 1.9 TDI realistically. The highest powered road-going 1.9 in the country that I'm aware of is only like 320bhp I think.

My other option is to go with another engine. The tuner I use has fitted a 1.8T into a Fabia before and said he will happily do it for me which would open up a whole new scene. It'd be cool owning a petrol turbo and with the money I'd spend selling all my bits I reckon I could see 400bhp+ for the same price of getting 300bhp in the diesel. It uses the same engine mounts, same LSD, same FMIC, same clutch + flywheel and possibly the same gearbox. The downside to this is my MPG will dive, insurance will raise big time and the car could be off the road for a lot longer. I've never seen a 1.8T Fabia vRS before so although the guy is confident he could face problems and I'd hate to lose my car for ages. I've done like 27,000 miles this year so a petrol turbo is probably a bad idea unless I drive a lot less.

Other people are saying to put a 2.0 TFSI into it but it's even more money as I won't be able to use my clutch, flywheel and LSD.

What route would you personally go down? I can see the pros and cons with both but I just can't decide, I seem to change my mind almost daily...

Car in question:

Current spec:

Turbo Dynamics Hybrid PD150 (MD376)
2.5" Miltek System
Helix Clutch & SMF
Seat Sport FMIC (Forge Hosing)
Quaife ATB LSD
KW Variant 3 Coilovers
Mocal Thermostatic Oil Cooler
DevilsOwn Methanol Injection Kit
PD160 Intake
K Sport 330mm 8-pot Brakes
HEL Braided Hoses
Ferodo DS-2500 Pads
Allard EGR Delete
Forge Strut Braces
17" Compomotive MO6 Alloys (Yokohama Parada Spec 2)
Powerflex/SuperPro Bushes

[Edited on 20-11-2011 by willay]
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 11 at 05:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is the fuel consumption currently? I can't imagine it being fantastic so a change to petrol if it opens up further power options may be worth looking at.

Big job though, lots of which doesn't actually relate to going faster as such, particularly when you could have that engine in a similar car for a lot less money, ie. if you got an S3 for example then you would have a lot more money to tune that rather than converting the Fabia and only being at the same point as the Audi but having already done a major job on it.

I know my personal opinion doesn't matter that much but I had just as much fun shaving tenths off my lap times as I've ever done throwing money at any car. If it's just boredom you're looking to cure then you're just moving the goalposts.

And also at the smoke in that pic.
Seany

20th Nov 11 at 06:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like your car the way it is, is it not affordable to buy a small project aswell?
xa0s
Banned

20th Nov 11 at 06:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
How is the fuel consumption currently? I can't imagine it being fantastic so a change to petrol if it opens up further power options may be worth looking at.

Big job though, lots of which doesn't actually relate to going faster as such, particularly when you could have that engine in a similar car for a lot less money, ie. if you got an S3 for example then you would have a lot more money to tune that rather than converting the Fabia and only being at the same point as the Audi but having already done a major job on it.

I know my personal opinion doesn't matter that much but I had just as much fun shaving tenths off my lap times as I've ever done throwing money at any car. If it's just boredom you're looking to cure then you're just moving the goalposts.

And also at the smoke in that pic.

I enjoy shaving tenths too, just because I want more power doesn't mean I'm a straight line warrior. Far from it!

I know what you mean but most people look at it being just a Fabia vRS, easily replaced and what not but I've done sooo many little changes and touches that to get another car and re-do everything would take another year. Since buying the car I've constantly tweaked it and customized it to how I want it to be with literally no gap so it's a lot of work. For example, I just spent £150 changing the green interior lighting to blue, a further £150 changing the rear bulbs to LED bulbs with resistors and anti-warning light adaptor things. It sounds like nothing but that's one of over a hundred little changes I've done. I basically just don't wanna change cars at the moment.

I tend to average about 350 miles to £70 of fuel. It's only used for fun so it's driven hard pretty much everywhere. My mate was with me tonight in his E46 M3 and he used about £40 of fuel and I used £15-20 which doesn't sound that drastic but I worked out earlier that I have spent in the region of £4,000 on fuel this year just for fun so if that was multiplied by 2 then you're starting to talk a serious increase.
xa0s
Banned

20th Nov 11 at 06:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Seany
I like your car the way it is, is it not affordable to buy a small project aswell?

What would that achieve? I like my car too, I just want it faster with more power and less smoke. I don't want a project car that comes out once in a blue moon, I drive my car daily and I enjoy getting in it more and more the more I customise/modify it. For example, since changing the dash lights to being blue I just feel so much happier sitting behind the wheel than I did before. I know it sounds stupid as fuck but it's true.
Corsa_Sport21

20th Nov 11 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long has it been at its current power set-up compared to when it was running less power??

If your bored now, you will soon get bored of 300bhp and want more. Especially if its used daily.
Seany

20th Nov 11 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I understand what you mean, it would seem petrol is the way forward for you if your wanting a lot more power
gtitim

20th Nov 11 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A tank of fuel in my std 1.8T costs £70 and lasts 330 miles, so tweak one over 250bhp and you will probably be down to 250 miles a tank. Lot of difference.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Nov 11 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv told you strip it out it obviously the weight reduction will make it faster but it feels a lot more raw and exciting anyway
Russ

20th Nov 11 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've answered your own question. If you want a smokeless 300bhp rally car then just buy the injectors and the turbo kit.
Jambo

20th Nov 11 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy a car that's fast. Spend extra cash on making it faster.

Oh and start with a proper performance. car. Not a 5door diesel skoda.
Matt L

20th Nov 11 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNwLpwY1BAc&feature=related

buy the 2.0 tfsi tbh
andys sxi
Premium Member

20th Nov 11 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What bhp is it now? And how much is the new turbo kit?

April 08 feature car
Ben G

20th Nov 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sell it and buy a performance car imo. will save you so much money in the long run as you will already have a base car that is over 200bhp out the box.
Graham88

20th Nov 11 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My thoughts on this as you are pretty much on the same stage as my Fiesta/MPS, either spend thousands on making them faster, or buy a car that's more capable out of the box, you know what I did

However mine isn't a daily, so fuel isn't do much of an issue

Plus a 1.8t or even better a 2.0tfsi would be cool as fuck

So it's difficult, I know what you mean about the small touches, my Mazda was full of them but it's fun having a clean slate to work with
Toby
Premium Member

20th Nov 11 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have done 28k on a car thats used for fun petrol is out of the question. i would split and sell and buy something faster if your main aim is speed or otherwise you will be forever spending money on it.
Marc

20th Nov 11 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
my MPS

One of the nicest cars on here IMO!
Graham88

20th Nov 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*was one you mean :-(
xa0s
Banned

20th Nov 11 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
How long has it been at its current power set-up compared to when it was running less power??

If your bored now, you will soon get bored of 300bhp and want more. Especially if its used daily.

It's been like it for about 10,000 miles I guess. It's not that I'm bored of it as such, I have fun with it and had a superb drive last night, but my mates M3 edges me and I just want a bit more. I like progressing and currently the turbo is at its limit so without changing it there's nothing more I can do really.

quote:
Originally posted by Seany
Yeah I understand what you mean, it would seem petrol is the way forward for you if your wanting a lot more power

Kinda what I'm thinking but the GTB kit is so tempting.

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
A tank of fuel in my std 1.8T costs £70 and lasts 330 miles, so tweak one over 250bhp and you will probably be down to 250 miles a tank. Lot of difference.

Yep, which means I'll have less of a budget to spend on tuning it.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
You've answered your own question. If you want a smokeless 300bhp rally car then just buy the injectors and the turbo kit.

A 1.8T would be smokeless 300bhp too though...

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Just buy a car that's fast. Spend extra cash on making it faster.

Oh and start with a proper performance. car. Not a 5door diesel skoda.

Like what? There's not much I could get insured on that would beat my car as it is currently... I regularly mug off much faster cars. I know it's a FWD diesel but it really isn't as bad as you'd think it is and to be honest most of the guys I drive with have high powered FWD cars so I'm really not fussed.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNwLpwY1BAc&feature=related

buy the 2.0 tfsi tbh

That's so hot.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 11 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So really, you just want to beat your mate
xa0s
Banned

20th Nov 11 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
So really, you just want to beat your mate

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Nov 11 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strip it and fit a cage man!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

20th Nov 11 at 16:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case, nothing will ever be enough because once you can edge your mate, he'll chuck money at it then you're back to square one, only with less options.

What you need to do is come to terms with the fact that there's more important things in life than having a faster car than your mates, then just enjoy having fun.
mantamark

20th Nov 11 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest, anyone fitted the 2.5tdi ti a fabia before?
Corsa_Sport21

20th Nov 11 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chasing numbers only ends up costing a fortune which imo, is what you seem to be doing.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Situation... 23 database queries in 0.1919560 seconds