corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How to adjust air to fuel ratio?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How to adjust air to fuel ratio?
ak072007

User status: Offline
9th Oct 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done all the standard airbox mods, (drilling, removed plastic pipe in lid, removed vacuum flap mechanism, removed hot air feed).

Got a lovely noise when accelerating, and probably a little bit more pokey on acceleration 2nd/3rd gear. Also I have reset the ECU.

My question is, with a standard ECU and parameters, how does the ECU know to burn fuel to the correct air ratio?

My car is running nice and cool now, not overheating like it used to, but I"m worried it may start running lean due to too much cold air and not enough fuel.

Any ways to adjust the ratio apart from a re-map? I know you could do it on the old carburettors?
Eddx14xe

9th Oct 11 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should read the air fuel ratio with the lambda sensor and sort it out on its own. Thats what i always thought anyway.
alan-g-w

9th Oct 11 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, no way of doing it without either just upping the fuel pressure or getting a piggyback ECU
ak072007

9th Oct 11 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the sensors sort it out as far as the standard ECU will let it because it is limited I think.

Alan I've been looking at fuel pressure regulators (basically boost gauges but can be used for non-turbo injected engines) but I reckon I'll just be constantly topping up.

I don't fancy using one of those piggyback resistors, I've read too much negative on them. I actually bought a job lot and used to sell them, a guy with a corsa 1.4 emailed me and reckoned he had it on rolling road and got 10bhp out of one lol. He only paid me 3 pounds.
alan-g-w

9th Oct 11 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A fuel press reg isn't anything to do with boost, all it does is allow more fuel through to be injected. If you don't up the amount of air entering along with it (ie - through forced induction) all you'll end up doing is overfuelling.

I wasn't talking about ebay resistors lol I mean a piggyback ECU.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th Oct 11 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
It should read the air fuel ratio with the lambda sensor and sort it out on its own.

This is true, and what will happen. Don't worry about it.
AlexW

9th Oct 11 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt if you are getting more air in, Just better flow and maybe a bit colder, ECU will be able to cope with it fine, Its not like your putting 5psi or more of boost into it.

What engine is it?
BeetleGav

9th Oct 11 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could my drilled airbox be to blame for my car having a flat spot sometimes?
alan-g-w

10th Oct 11 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very unlikely Beetlegav
Robo C20Let

11th Oct 11 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a fuel pressure regulator, all it does is create more pressure in the fuel rail which forces more fuel into the engine then just adjust it using a wideband

New Poll