corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » SOTW part 2

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SOTW part 2
Ben G

User status: Offline
20th Jul 11 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
how much weight would you realistically save?

not sure, probably about 30kg's. maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less.

the rear seatbelt holders were the heaviest part, probably over 5kg's each.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might put my old spare gearbox in the boot and leave it there
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not? he doesnt NEED a cage, yea a cage is there for safety i did say that but its a solid roofed car and its not like a convertible car which would crush you.

what would be achieved with a cage (handling wise) in this instance would be achieved by a good set of ARB's and will keep the weight down which is obviously a factor steve is thinking about.

Yea if he was planning on racing the car then yea, no brainer but hes not, hes tracking the car, i assume he will have a harness and obviously a helmet he will be safe with just them.
Ben G

20th Jul 11 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what if he rolls the puma when on track?
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your on coilovers steve just soften the rears up a bit and that should help stop the oversteeryness of it a little also if you can change toe a bit of toe in will also help.
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
what if he rolls the puma when on track?

he will probably have a head ache.
Ben G

20th Jul 11 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably more than that if he rolls over when doing 100mph+ on the nurburgring.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

200mph+
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its that much of a worry put a roll hoop in the car, that way it can pivot keeping his head clear whilst punching the legs of the cage through the floor instead lol.

steve, get some arb's leave the interior alone and see how you get on.
fazza

20th Jul 11 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would look nicer in ford imperial purple

adio
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
200kph+

fixed
adiohead

20th Jul 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza
would look nicer in ford imperial blue

adio

Ojc

20th Jul 11 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi
Butler

20th Jul 11 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
why not? he doesnt NEED a cage, yea a cage is there for safety i did say that but its a solid roofed car and its not like a convertible car which would crush you.

what would be achieved with a cage (handling wise) in this instance would be achieved by a good set of ARB's and will keep the weight down which is obviously a factor steve is thinking about.

Yea if he was planning on racing the car then yea, no brainer but hes not, hes tracking the car, i assume he will have a harness and obviously a helmet he will be safe with just them.

He doesn't NEED anti roll bars, but anyone with sense should value their life more than their cars cornering abilities.
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you make it out as if hes going to die next time his car goes round a corner..

what your saying is that he should get a cage, should i? should ollie? should paul?

a closed roof like the puma will be sufficient to keep him safe if he rolled it, i mean there are encap rating the cars have to go through do you think they didnt bother when they got to rolling cars over?
Ben J

20th Jul 11 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strip and cage ftw.

As I said earlier.

As for not NEEDING a cage. Surely having one on track is a nice extra safety precaution??

[Edited on 20-07-2011 by Ben J]
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so is wearing fireproof clothing but does everyone?

Fad

20th Jul 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Have you ever driven a car with a cage? Completely different feel to just fitting an arb! It totally changes the feel and rigidity of the car. The difference a cage made to jr's corsa (when it was alive) was staggering, you could even see how much stiffer the car was when following. The same applies to will's Astra massive difference!
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

end of the day steve's car is used everyday and is tracked. its not a racing car, its not a touring car or a rally car, a cage is NOT needed and wont magically make it into any of the afore mentioned.

there are many things he could do to the car to make it handle better.. semi slicks, arb's etc.. he could if he wished or hasnt done already install strut braces front and rear to stiffen the car up.

I hardly think stripping the 30kg out of the back and installing a cage is the next move in making the car any quicker on track but thats just my opinion.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont mean to be rude chris but you have just glued a piece of wood to the front of your car, as worthless as a cage
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh steve... im not even going to bite.. i cant be bothered.. if you wanna stick scaffolding in your car then you do so but there are better ways to get what your trying to achieve.
Ben J

20th Jul 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wasn't bait tbh. Was the truth.
Ben J

20th Jul 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so is wearing fireproof clothing but does everyone?

No but if you do wear it, it's an extra safety precaution? Same as a cage. What's your point?
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats exactly my point.. he doesnt need a cage to get what he wants, there are alternatives to achieve the same results.

and as for the bait, of cause it was, even AK has admitted using ply and possibly going back to use ply.. a lot of cars in race series' use ply.

[Edited on 20-07-2011 by chris_uk]
Steve
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but your point is my car isnt a race car, ak's is, yours isnt, you have been on track once...

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » SOTW part 2 22 database queries in 0.0168409 seconds