corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LPCM Vs Bitstream debate (PS3 / Home Cinema Audio)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LPCM Vs Bitstream debate (PS3 / Home Cinema Audio)
Tiger

User status: Offline
21st Jun 11 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For years i've had my PS3 output 'Bitstream' audio via HDMI.

I read an article over the last couple of days that suggested LPCM was better.

I've recently bought a Sony STR2400ES 7.1 AV Amp that i'm running as 5.1 and I noticed that it was not receiving DTS Master Audio / DTS HD etc etc. from my PS3, only DTS, so I tried what the article suggested which was to switch the HDMI output from compressed bitstream to uncompressed LPCM and let the PS3 do the decoding and send the raw 7.1 signal out straight through the sony amp via HDMI and out as analogue audio.

Although my Amp no longer says that its decoding DTS/Master/DTS HD etc. its receiving the equivalent audio in the form of LPCM 24/96khz and I have to say that i've already noticed a big improvement in sound quality. The surround channels are more vivid and the accuracy of the audio is more pinpoint rather than slightly vague.

Well worth a try if you use your PS3 as your movie centre with a lossless format through HDMI and have it set to Bitstream.

Ben.
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 07:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be unusual imo that the ps3 decode audio better than an avr unless its really budget. Also I thought if you had it set to bitstream then you would still be decoding hd audio if your avr was capable?
John

22nd Jun 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should the PS3 be able to put the DTS Master Audio out via bitstream? If it should I'd want to find out the reason it's not.

I like the keep things digital for as long as possible.
Tiger

22nd Jun 11 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bitstream is sent out as audio to be decoded by the receiver, LPCM is decoded first then output as a 24bit/96khz 7.1 signal purely to be amplified and not processed, I was getting 3-4 Mbps audio via LPCM last night on Terminator Salvation (DTS MA).

It all started when my amp didn't appear to be receiving DTS MA, only DTS so I looked at alternatives.

The Sony receiver is fantastic, read the what hifi review, they couldn't find anything negative to say about it.
Tiger

22nd Jun 11 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Should the PS3 be able to put the DTS Master Audio out via bitstream? If it should I'd want to find out the reason it's not.

I'm fairly sure it should output DTS MA via bitstream yes, I've exhausted everything bar replacing the HDMI cable. But, as trial and error goes, I've noticed an improvement from bitstream to LPCM.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont reckon your ears will ever tell the difference tbh
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:
Originally posted by John

I'm fairly sure it should output DTS MA via bitstream yes, I've exhausted everything bar replacing the HDMI cable. But, as trial and error goes, I've noticed an improvement from bitstream to LPCM.

I don't think your avr is hd audio enabled then.
Tiger

23rd Jun 11 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to What Hifi's and the Sony website it is:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-home-cinema-receiver/str-da2400es

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-str-da2400es
Tiger

23rd Jun 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Based on what I read about HDMI, i'd say that its possible the HDMI lead i'm using from PS3 to AVR is pre HDMI 1.3 - this is what it states about HDMI 1.3:

quote:
Version 1.3

HDMI 1.3 was released June 22, 2006 and increased the single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s).[2][41][104] It optionally supports Deep Color, with 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit xvYCC, sRGB, or YCbCr, compared to 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous HDMI versions. It also optionally supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.

[Edited on 23-06-2011 by Tiger]
Mattb

24th Jun 11 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a question - im currently running my audio from the ps3 through an optical cable to my av jobbie and obviously picture through hdmi. When i watch a bluray the sound is slightly out of sync - i have got it back in sync by turning off DTS but that leaves me with what appears to be only stereo sound - not surround.

Im not sure whether its because my amp is crap - or if it is set up wrong.. any able to shed any light?
Toby
Premium Member

24th Jun 11 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SOMETIMES you can alter the audio sync manually and configure it. Check the settings on the amp
Tiger

26th Jun 11 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends what AV Reciever you have, mine has AV Sync delay in milliseconds. I'm currently running about 100m/s with my PS3.

New Poll