corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Moving House Again

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Moving House Again
ed

User status: Offline
30th May 11 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was wondering if anyone here had any experience of living in a flat in a converted house. There seems to be quite a few of them around Birmingham which are in old Victorian houses. I think they look quite nice and might be a refreshing change from having to share a building with a bunch of wankers.

Pros and cons if possible I guess

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by ed]
Ian
Site Administrator

30th May 11 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Likelyhood of sharing with wankers is not lessened because it's not purpose built.

They're sometimes funny shapes as well, rooms in strange positions or strange shapes.
AndyKent

30th May 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live in the top floor flat of a Victorian house. It's a semi detached, but I've got the whole top floor to myself plus a big storage area which is a good 'extra' over lots of others nearby.

Having genuine character features is great. I've got massively high ceilings and roof timbers here and there. Knocks a new flat into touch IMO.

I'd never consider anything but top floor though. Someone wandering around my head on timber floor joists would drive me insane. Parking could be better since all the flats share the old garden space which isn't massive.

As for other tenants, all mine are sound but that's pot luck. Even in a decent area you could get a bunch of tossers.
ed

30th May 11 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'll take a look at a couple and see what they're like. It's a real shame though because I love my current place, I've just had enough of the other tenants

This looks quite interesting:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/14755990?search_identifier=645c6cf3452d81439e27810af38398e5
Ian
Site Administrator

30th May 11 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Refer to my comments about things being funny shapes
ed

30th May 11 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you mean, though my parents house is a barn conversion and it's possibly even stranger so I can live with it!
AndyKent

30th May 11 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blimey, does look low. Mine is semi in the roofspace, but not nearly so wedged in as that looks! I still have all my windows at normal heights etc.

Also, the monthly rent is more than my mortgage
ed

30th May 11 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess the other choice is to move further out of town and have to get a bus/cycle into work. Could probably save another £50-£100 a month doing so.
Sam
Premium Member

30th May 11 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Birmingham bus drivers scare me TBH.
Ben G

30th May 11 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i couldn't live with that low sloping ceiling tbh.

if you watch homes under the hammer they do say that converted houses into flats usually brings funny shaped rooms but can also give you much more space than convential flats if the original house proportions are good.
RichR
Premium Member

30th May 11 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My missus has a victorian townhouse which has been converted into two one bedroom appartments; the downstairs is a single storey, small flate; the upstairs is two floor, with a huge bedroom in what would have been the attic space; then a kitchen, bathroom and large(ish) living room on the first floor.

Agree with the funny size/shape and layout of rooms but that kind of makes it quirky.

She's lucky, She has two good tennants; A chef in his 30's who keeps himself to himself and a young girl in her 20s - Don't get any trouble from either of them but one of her first tennants barricaded himself in the flat and refused to pay her any rent; had to evict him

[Edited on 30-05-2011 by LiVe LeE]
Twiggy

30th May 11 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live in the downstairs of a old house (Victorian?) its massive, big celings, massive garden ect.

On the point of the tenants above, this is the only down side

The one above our living room is great hardly hear him / acceptable noise

The other one is a cunt, (her kitchen/living room is over our bedroom) washing machine on at 2am (spinning) TV on loud until 1am most nights

I was about to complain at the estate agents but they got in first saying she is moving on
Tom

31st May 11 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I live in the top floor flat of a Victorian house. It's a semi detached, but I've got the whole top floor to myself plus a big storage area which is a good 'extra' over lots of others nearby.

Having genuine character features is great. I've got massively high ceilings and roof timbers here and there. Knocks a new flat into touch IMO.

I'd never consider anything but top floor though. Someone wandering around my head on timber floor joists would drive me insane. Parking could be better since all the flats share the old garden space which isn't massive.

As for other tenants, all mine are sound but that's pot luck. Even in a decent area you could get a bunch of tossers.

Pretty much exactly my experience this, word for word
ed

31st May 11 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to phone up about this one later on:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/4095682?search_identifier=3f6802f1c9a052884cd8e45dfb21615d

The first one I posted isn't available un-furnished so it's a non-starter unfortunately. I would actually prefer something that's got a bit of a unique layout so I'm going to try and look at a few period conversions and decide
3CorsaMeal

31st May 11 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cons:

awkward for a cannabis factory
Sam
Premium Member

31st May 11 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it need to be in Birmingham?

Places are cheaper out here in the Black Country, if you lived somewhere like Stourbridge or Cradley Heath it ain't so bad for commuting into the city.
ed

31st May 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driving ins not an option and I'd prefer to be in the city. Might be worth a look though.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Jun 11 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definately worth looking into, even the "slow" train from Stourbridge etc. into Snow Hill or Moor Street doesn't take that long.
ed

4th Jul 11 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moving in here at the end of the month: http://www.crosbylendlease.co.uk/index.php?u=248

Will have to post some pics up as it's got a lot of glass walls
Jambo

4th Jul 11 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you just moving in or did you just join an evil corperation who are trying to take over the world?

That website looks like the latter btw
ed

4th Jul 11 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just moving, thought this would be a good place because it's named after a Harry Potter character.
ed

11th Jul 11 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not exactly sure why a different agent still has the place advertised, but here are some shit pictures of it The current tenants haven't furnished it very well.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-19314618.html
AndyKent

11th Jul 11 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corner window and bathroom is
ed

11th Jul 11 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, think there's going to be an argument/rock paper scissors competition for that bedroom

The second bedroom does have a glass wall, the current tenants have covered over most of it with a blackout blind.
dannymccann

13th Jul 11 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I skipped the 'living in a trendy flat' lifestyle, sometimes I wish I didnt but we dont have that sort of thing in Lincolnshire

Looks really nice, but fook me it's pricey!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll