corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dual Booting Windows 7 and OS X

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dual Booting Windows 7 and OS X
Bissmire

User status: Offline
5th May 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone running Dual Boot?

Started running Snow Leopard on VMWare and quite like it so thinking of running it with Windows 7.

Are there any issues apart from the Audio/Video I've been reading about? It seems that WiFi is working so the ethernet issues wouldnt really bother me. On a Dell Studio 17 by the way. I'm not really a 'computer geek' but after reading up it doesn't seem that hard. Don't want to do it if it will be nothing but problems.
Russ

5th May 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

firstly, why do you want to?
secondly, it can be a bitch to install on a pc
thirdly, it wont work on every pc
Bissmire

5th May 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just as a novelty I guess. Quite liked the UI and it's something diffrerent. Appeals to the geeky side of me really. I've read up a fair bit and it looks like its possible on my Dell Studio 17. Do you run dual boot?
Russ

5th May 11 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah i did it the easy way.

Bissmire

5th May 11 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see pictures at work but I'm guessing its a Mac? Probably get one next, would be good to familiarise myself with OSX first as well. I feel lost using it
adiohead

5th May 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there are no pictures in this thread.

or is there?
Russ

5th May 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is no picture

bet yeah, bought a mac, it's pimp, but a huge waste of money if I'm honest
Bissmire

5th May 11 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, I saw line breaks and assumed it was a picture.
Bissmire

5th May 11 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'll get one next, then I can slag off Windows and be down with the cool kids
adiohead

5th May 11 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bissmire
I think I'll get one next, then I can slag off Windows and be down with the cool kids

yay!

Just say things like "Windows is dirty" or "Windows users are poor scum of the Earth tramps"

oh, and "Microsoft stole everything from OSX"

Pisses them right off
Nath

5th May 11 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:

yay!

Just say things like "Windows is dirty" or "Windows users are poor scum of the Earth tramps"

Pisses Dom right off

efa
Bissmire

5th May 11 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:

yay!

Pisses them right off

Thanks for the tips, I'll add them to my collection when I downgrade to a Mac.
adiohead

5th May 11 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fine work there my cheapo pc using fellow
Bissmire

5th May 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

5th May 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best bet is to head to www.osx86project.org, both Wiki and the insanelymac forums and see if you hardware is compatible (most Dell gear is to be honest and you might even find a tutorial for your Dell Studio) then either use a Retail OSX disc (probably the better way of doing it, obviously you can download this but it's around 8GB and you'll either need to stick it on a USB stick which is a little tricky or just burn it to a dual-layer DVD) and a disc-boot loader like Snowboot or download a modified disc like iATKOS.
You'll also need to install a boot loader to select between Windows/OSX, usually it's Chameleon and there are load of tutorials around or if you use a mod-disc like iATKOS it'll usually install it for you.

As long as you check out your hardware and know which KTexts (basically OSX drivers) you need or need to use/select during installation, then it's a piece of piss to install. Only thing is dodgy KText's or selecting the wrong KText for hardware will usually cause kernel panics during the installation, basically it locks and gives you a white screen. But as said, do your research and you'll be fine.

I've done it numerous times and I can't say I had any real problems. Only issue I have is Digidesign hardware not installing correctly but everything else works just as it should.
It's also worth installing XBench and Cinebench and checking the performance. I found my last hackintosh build (2008/2009), Q6600/4GB, was faster than the equivalent 2.66 Quad Mac Pro (4.1/2009), which wasn't too shabby for a system that cost a quarter of the Mac Pro
Bissmire

5th May 11 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Best bet is to head to www.osx86project.org, both Wiki and the insanelymac forums and see if you hardware is compatible (most Dell gear is to be honest and you might even find a tutorial for your Dell Studio) then either use a Retail OSX disc (probably the better way of doing it, obviously you can download this but it's around 8GB and you'll either need to stick it on a USB stick which is a little tricky or just burn it to a dual-layer DVD) and a disc-boot loader like Snowboot or download a modified disc like iATKOS.
You'll also need to install a boot loader to select between Windows/OSX, usually it's Chameleon and there are load of tutorials around or if you use a mod-disc like iATKOS it'll usually install it for you.

As long as you check out your hardware and know which KTexts (basically OSX drivers) you need or need to use/select during installation, then it's a piece of piss to install. Only thing is dodgy KText's or selecting the wrong KText for hardware will usually cause kernel panics during the installation, basically it locks and gives you a white screen. But as said, do your research and you'll be fine.

I've done it numerous times and I can't say I had any real problems. Only issue I have is Digidesign hardware not installing correctly but everything else works just as it should.
It's also worth installing XBench and Cinebench and checking the performance. I found my last hackintosh build (2008/2009), Q6600/4GB, was faster than the equivalent 2.66 Quad Mac Pro (4.1/2009), which wasn't too shabby for a system that cost a quarter of the Mac Pro

Wow what a post, thanks a lot exactly what I needed! Explained the jargon that I wasnt sure of too
Dom

5th May 11 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure you know the hardware (module model numbers, chipset model numbers eg: RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, or ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 etc) you're going to be installing on, so I’d recommend using something like PC-Wizard http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html.
Once you know that then it's a simple case of searching the forums and seeing if that hardware (each component) is compatible. And then have a gander and see if anyone has had issues installing on a Dell Studio.
I have heard that there are issues with changing the ACHI in the bios on a 1747, so it might be a no starter. Worth checking the BIOS and then possibly update it (if there is an update available from the Dell website) etc

Also worth looking at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/, has info on iBoot (another disc-bootloader, Intel only) as well.

[Edited on 05-05-2011 by Dom]
Bissmire

5th May 11 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again, I'll take a proper look this evening and see whats what
Robbo

5th May 11 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

housemate has a Macbook Air ( ) running OSX and W7, it's his work computer too so he used W7 for Exchange, looks very fancy when he 4 fin ger swipes and suddenly is in Windows!
Dom

5th May 11 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
housemate has a Macbook Air ( ) running OSX and W7, it's his work computer too so he used W7 for Exchange, looks very fancy when he 4 fin ger swipes and suddenly is in Windows!

Bit odd that he runs an OS soley for Exchange when you can get outlook for OSX

Either way, that's different to what is being discussed here.

Bissmire - Also i recommend you back up anything important and you'll need to partition the hard drive using something like Partition Magic (i'd say a 30/40GB Partition for OSX if it's just for peeing about on).
John

5th May 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Outlook only supports Exchange 2007 and onwards, Entourage only 2003 and backwards
Robbo

5th May 11 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo

Bit odd that he runs an OS soley for Exchange when you can get outlook for OSX

Either way, that's different to what is being discussed here.

Bissmire - Also i recommend you back up anything important and you'll need to partition the hard drive using something like Partition Magic (i'd say a 30/40GB Partition for OSX if it's just for peeing about on).
pass, he's a proper proper geek (manages lovefilms website) and uses windows just for exchange functionality as he said outlook for OSX isnt as good. i know tis diff, just thought id chip in
Dom

5th May 11 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Outlook only supports Exchange 2007 and onwards, Entourage only 2003 and backwards

Easily manageable though. Saying that, Entourage is a serious turd of an email client from the few times i've used it. Can't say i've used Outlook 2011 for Mac, no doubt it's a huge improvement on Entourage though
John

5th May 11 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not easy to manage when you have 2003 infrastructure and clients go out and buy office 2011 without telling you.
Russ

5th May 11 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought you had a MacBook air Robbo

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll