corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N8

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author N8
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Mar 11 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is amazing. Nuff said. Been playing side by side with my dad's iPhone4 and it totally pisses on it.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
John

18th Mar 11 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't
Ste
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really, so what does the iPhone do that's better? I'm yet to find something.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Simon

18th Mar 11 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything apart from the camera?
John

18th Mar 11 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's got an infinitely better screen to start with, then it's not running symbian, which is the second biggie.

The nokia can probably do everything the iPhone can, considering an iPhone can't do anything Nokia's could 10 years ago, the N8 does not piss over anything though.

Terrible, terrible OS compared to todays standards.

I hate iPhones btw.
Ste
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The OS is well better. USB standard charging is better. navigation is better, gps comes online way way faster. Built in DAB radio and FM transmitter are better (oh yeah, iPhone4 doesn't have those )

John

18th Mar 11 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No point going on if you think the OS is better tbh.

Only DAB radio is some USB add on?

Good if you like it, it's already an antique.
Doug

18th Mar 11 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It REALLY hurts me to say this but John is right here.
Chris
Premium Member

19th Mar 11 at 02:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ste can you run two apps at the same time on the Nokia?

What about typing with gloves on, i no you couldnt on the old iphone.
GF-91
Banned

19th Mar 11 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have as many apps? How much memory does your n8 have?
LeeM

19th Mar 11 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Ste can you run two apps at the same time on the Nokia?

What about typing with gloves on, i no you couldnt on the old iphone.

you couldnt on old nokias either. you can on the iphone4 which its being compared to.
symbian is widely accepted to be pants
ljames555

19th Mar 11 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hated non jailbroken iphones and 90% of people who thought it made them cool to own one.

I have now got one and jailbraked within 5 mins of ownership , nothing beats a Jb iphone imo.

Used a nokia n8 its ok i got bored easily.
John

19th Mar 11 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't type on a capacitive screen with normal gloves on, not manufacturer specific, technology specific.
Chris
Premium Member

19th Mar 11 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just i found it a problem of the iphone answering calls while making a snowman.
LeeM

19th Mar 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You can't type on a capacitive screen with normal gloves on, not manufacturer specific, technology specific.

i can type on my 3gs with gloves on
John

19th Mar 11 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll depend on the thickness and the material but in general you can't.

Your body conducting electricity causes a disruption on the screen which it uses to pinpoint the location of the touch, gloves in general aren't, that's why they make gloves with conductive wire in the finger tips.
LeeM

19th Mar 11 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

87% polyester 13% elastane the ones i just tried. use them for cycling
Balling
Premium Member

19th Mar 11 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
The OS is well better.

You really should work for Nokia. They them selves have admitted that the N8 is a disaster and they will no longer use Symbian as it is just falling way behind all other smartphone OS' in terms of speed, ease of use, visual style and general user experience.

Try replying to an email and witness how Nokia has used many years of GUI experience and decided, that you do not have to be able to see the email you're replying to while writing.
Or try to tell if your pulling data from WiFi or 3G, which is impossible because there is no WiFi icon while on 3G.
Or simply try visiting a few websites with the terrible, terrible browser...

Nokia has just committed to collaborate with Microsoft so that all their future smartphones will run Win Phone 7.
Symbian is officially dead.

Dom

19th Mar 11 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
The OS is well better.

You really should work for Nokia. They them selves have admitted that the N8 is a disaster and they will no longer use Symbian as it is just falling way behind all other smartphone OS' in terms of speed, ease of use, visual style and general user experience.

Try replying to an email and witness how Nokia has used many years of GUI experience and decided, that you do not have to be able to see the email you're replying to while writing.
Or try to tell if your pulling data from WiFi or 3G, which is impossible because there is no WiFi icon while on 3G.
Or simply try visiting a few websites with the terrible, terrible browser...

Nokia has just committed to collaborate with Microsoft so that all their future smartphones will run Win Phone 7.

Symbian is officially dead.

This isn't quite true, Symbian isn't 'officially dead' as they'll be using it their lower end phones. Plus MS did pay Nokia $1bn (Nokia in turn pays a license fee for each phone sold) to swing Nokia's decision to use WinPho instead of Android.

As for the N8 I personally think its pretty decent when ever I’ve used one and seem reasonably robust compared to other phones. One feature I really like is USB host, just surprised no other manufacturer has incorporated it as I always found it useful when I had an iRiver.

[Edited on 19-03-2011 by Dom]
LeeM

19th Mar 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was gonna say, surely a nokia with android would be massively succesful so Microsoft must have offered some kind of incentive to choose them
Jambo

19th Mar 11 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A billion? Holy Wellington boots batman.

Ex nokia fanboy moved from n97 to iPhone and would never buy another sum Ian so long as I dont have autzheimers.

N8 is heavy, clunky, unresponsive touchscreen, slow os lack of ram, ovi store is woeful and mega unreliable. The pc support suite is literally the worst price of software I have ever encountered. Ever. That's no Internet exaggeration tbh.

Hows tv catchup or isimpsons on the N8? Ah yes. The lack of imagination and refusal to accept that their os is so old fashioned. They just took an N96 and made it touch screen.

They have massively faltered in their dominace in the Market. Despite what the anti apple brigade say it's popular for a reason. Just like the people who say bmws are just a badge and people pay extra to "be seen etc" is just usually written by the ignorant.

If you had an older phone before then the n8 will see amazing. It's not that it's not functional it's just less sophisticated and nokia failed to anticipate the need for pc support and the need to make things work better.
Dom

19th Mar 11 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
A billion? Holy Wellington boots batman.

Ex nokia fanboy moved from n97 to iPhone and would never buy another sum Ian so long as I dont have autzheimers.

N8 is heavy, clunky, unresponsive touchscreen, slow os lack of ram, ovi store is woeful and mega unreliable. The pc support suite is literally the worst price of software I have ever encountered. Ever. That's no Internet exaggeration tbh.

Hows tv catchup or isimpsons on the N8? Ah yes. The lack of imagination and refusal to accept that their os is so old fashioned. They just took an N96 and made it touch screen.

They have massively faltered in their dominace in the Market. Despite what the anti apple brigade say it's popular for a reason. Just like the people who say bmws are just a badge and people pay extra to "be seen etc" is just usually written by the ignorant.

If you had an older phone before then the n8 will see amazing. It's not that it's not functional it's just less sophisticated and nokia failed to anticipate the need for pc support and the need to make things work better.

Same could be said about ITunes under Windows which is pure bloatware!
As for it being unrealisable, well I know a few people with them and they haven't had any problems to date (one of them get's thrown around a building site all day and survives). But it's like any phone, you'll mostly hear about the issues/negatives rather than the positives.

Agree with the Nokia failing with Sym3, it should have been a lot lot better. And likewise with the laggyness of the N8, but i find it's barely noticeable and in terms of laggyness there are far worse smart phones out there.

To be honest, for talk/text/emails the N8 is pretty good and there are some cool features. If you're after a multimedia app (ridden) phone, then the N8 isn't for you - simples!
Jambo

19th Mar 11 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iTunes works though Dom? It might not be the fastest but it's simple and reliable.

I had to uninstall/reinstall ovi suite 6times to get it to recognise a USB driver so it would see a phone connected, that's just the primary function of the software. A friend had similar issues as did my girlfriend with her n97 mini. I defended symbian for a long long time don't forget, I had N80/N95/N95 8gb E90 E75 and N97 It has it's positives, but so did windows vista. It doesn't mean it's not out of date and for the money, better alternatives are availible. Simples

[Edited on 19-03-2011 by Jambo]
Dom

20th Mar 11 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
iTunes works though Dom? It might not be the fastest but it's simple and reliable.

I had to uninstall/reinstall ovi suite 6times to get it to recognise a USB driver so it would see a phone connected, that's just the primary function of the software. A friend had similar issues as did my girlfriend with her n97 mini. I defended symbian for a long long time don't forget, I had N80/N95/N95 8gb E90 E75 and N97 It has it's positives, but so did windows vista. It doesn't mean it's not out of date and for the money, better alternatives are availible. Simples

[Edited on 19-03-2011 by Jambo]

That's the thing, iTunes doesn't always work. Plenty of stories of it generally being a piece of shit. Infact only last week it wouldn't recognise my ancient ipod and i ended up using Winamp to transfer music. I will say that iTunes under OSX is fine (ish, have had the odd beach ball moment).

Don't get me wrong, i can see where you're coming from, but there are features on the N8 that aren't seen in any other phone (yet anyways). So it isn't simply the case of better alternatives.....
Bart

20th Mar 11 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a great spec BMW, but if you took a ford focus, inserted a bigger engine, better sound system, bigger alloys, it would still be a ford and I'd still choose my BMW.

I think the apple OS is half of what makes it the best (IMO), the new iphone5 I'm sure will be comparable to the N8, it's only round the corner.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N8 25 database queries in 0.2113669 seconds