corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N8

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author N8
Cavey

User status: Offline
20th Mar 11 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had the n97 mini for a year and a bit now, no real problems with it, got it because wanted a qwerty keyboard but without it being bulky, and it works ok. After having it this long, obviously it's had a few problems, the browser isn't great, but works, ovi store is very limited, it could be good if they put some effort it. As a phone it works, it's not the best, but it certainly isn't the worst.

Free ovi maps is a bonus though, very good satnav.

Come october when my contract is up i'll more than likely be looking at the iPhone or the leading android competitor though, mainly for the range of apps compared to this, would still like a proper keyboard though

iTunes is a piece of shit though.
deano87

20th Mar 11 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had an N8 since October.

Dad got his iPhone 4 yesterday. The iPhone is better in terms of UI.

But I don't agree that the iPhone 4 is £XXX more of a phone than the N8, it just isn't. Such a premium for anything that begins with 'i' is ridiculous imho.

Most frustrating thing about the N8 is lack of apps, such as even an eBay specific one. Not even a Bookmark app for it.

I wish I had gone for a Galaxy S or something like that tbh.

I hate iTunes. But with the N8 you don't have to use Ovi, you can still use Windows Media Player to sync music, or just drag and drop!

HDMI out is pretty handy, as is the built in FM Transmitter. For the DAB you need a DAB handsfree headset thing.

I'd say the most irritating thing about the N8 is that when you type a message/email/text on here, it goes to a standalone screen, unlike the iPhone etc. Also the non QWERTY keyboard in 'portrait' can be quite frustrating. In predictive txt mode I can type quicker than the phone can put it on the screen.

The trick with the N8 is to leave apps open in the background which makes going back to them quicker.
deano87

20th Mar 11 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just downloaded Opera 10.1 Mobile for it. Vast improvememt on browsing. Highly recommended
Daveskater
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a C7 which is pretty much the same thing as the N8 and what Deano and Cavey have said sums it up pretty well tbh. I prefer using an alphanumeric keypad to a qwerty in portrait mode, and I like the GUI of Symbian^3. I find the iPhone GUI to be a bit bland whereas the default theme on S^3 has lots of bright colours so is more visually pleasing.

The best feature for me of the Ovi Suite is the ability to send and receive texts through it when the phone is connected to the PC - something that iTunes can't do.

There's an eBay Mobile site so if you want to use it that often, set up a bookmark in the browser. I don't get people's obsession with having an app for every single website, when you can just have a bookmark in the browser which works just as well.

The FM Transmitter is a brilliant function of the N8/C7, I have used it a few times and the guys at work with iPhones have told me they would like to have this function.

I really don't see why the iPhone demands such high prices over its competitors. You can go on about your fancy high DPI screen until you're blue in the face but that's not enough in my view to demand higher prices for what you could get with another phone for much less. I'll admit what I've seen from the iPhone 4's camera is very good, but I only take random snapshots with my phone - if I want to go out taking pictures I'll grab the D-SLR.

As for the Symbian browser not being very good - ok I'll admit it's not revolutionary, but I manage to get on here and other sites and post without problems so it does what I want it to. It's quite simple, but if you want something with more functionality then you can download two different versions of Opera. On my 5800 I used Opera Mini entirely instead of the integral browser, but it's not as easy to use with a capacitive touch screen because of the small text.

Like Deano, I can type into the phone faster than it can display on the screen, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was fixed with a software update.

[Edited on 20-03-2011 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
deano87

20th Mar 11 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spot on that.
LeeM

20th Mar 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The price for an iPhone is partly exclusivity, build quality and the support available. Just like any highend product there's plenty of stuff available that does the same job for less, but it's just not quite as good.
Faulty iPhone you just go into an apple store and they'll replace it
deano87

20th Mar 11 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I honestly don't think the iPhone 4 is built any better than the N8.

BlackBerrys however. They're always going wrong at work.
ash_corsa

20th Mar 11 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Mrs has had her N8 since launch and its absolutely shite, the touch screen is unresponsive, it randomly locks-up and puts itself into and out of silent mode all the time.

My iPhone is 10x better, although i dont agree with the premium you have to pay for the product at all.

Jambo

20th Mar 11 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The sales figures speak for themselves. Badges can only dso so much if your product isnt good.

For the g33ks out there theres the Android which are also VASTLY superior to any symbian OS.

But hey, consumers and the press must have been wrong!
Marc

20th Mar 11 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
The price for an iPhone is partly exclusivity, build quality and the support available. Just like any highend product there's plenty of stuff available that does the same job for less, but it's just not quite as good.
Faulty iPhone you just go into an apple store and they'll replace it

This.
Ste
Premium Member

21st Mar 11 at 01:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought their superior build quality meant they never went faulty

I had an N86 before this, and even that was better than an iPhone. Far better equipped and had keys. I do miss the days of having a screen free of greasy finger prints.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
LeeM

21st Mar 11 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My iPhones definately better made than my previous blackberries, my mums desire and my dads galaxy, and it's never put a foot wrong in over a year, my bb storm was in and out for repair all the time
GF-91
Banned

21st Mar 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My iPhone kicks my girlfriends n8s ass!
ash_corsa

21st Mar 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GF-91
My iPhone kicks my girlfriends n8s ass!

Same here!
deano87

21st Mar 11 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been setting dad's Mail up on his iPhone 4.

I couldn't work out how to 'mark all as read' as it said he had 139 new emails, but that was new emails to his phone, not his actual Inbox. Please tell me you can 'mark all as read'?
deano87

22nd Mar 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those who said about the un responsive touch green. imho this is definitely software related and not hardware. Use something like the new Opera 11 browser and it's a bit too responsive
Daveskater
Premium Member

22nd Mar 11 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paying more for the iPhone for exclusivity? How is it exclusive - everyone who wants to look or thinks they are cool has one

Ash_Corsa - if your mrs' phone is dodgy then send it back for a new one. This is what warranty is for, and it's there for you to use it if something like this happens. First off I would try re-installing the OS through the Ovi Suite as that can't hurt. If that doesn't fix it then contact Nokia or your network provider.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
deano87

22nd Mar 11 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 year warranty/guarantee on N8's too.
noshua

22nd Mar 11 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Just been setting dad's Mail up on his iPhone 4.

I couldn't work out how to 'mark all as read' as it said he had 139 new emails, but that was new emails to his phone, not his actual Inbox. Please tell me you can 'mark all as read'?

Nope.

Maybe there's a tweak in Cydia, needs to be jailbroken if there is though.

edit; yeah, PopMark

[Edited on 22-03-2011 by noshua]
Daveskater
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
2 year warranty/guarantee on N8's too.
Exactly, so there's no excuse for putting up with something that doesn't work properly.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
ed

23rd Mar 11 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
The OS is well better.

So good that it's been scrapped
Ste
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or the one billion dollar bung from Microsoft made them sideline it for Win Phone 7.

Either way, I was comparing it with my mates iPhone4 yesterday. I still stand by my statement. I have RSS feeds on the desktop where you can read what's going on without having to go into them, mail app displays the last 3 received mails. Both really handy and not available on iPhone. I'll get one when they are actually better than a Nokia, not just marketed as better.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
John

23rd Mar 11 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thin no widgets is a big mistake for Stevie J, he obviously doesn't like them though.
ash_corsa

23rd Mar 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Ash_Corsa - if your mrs' phone is dodgy then send it back for a new one. This is what warranty is for, and it's there for you to use it if something like this happens. First off I would try re-installing the OS through the Ovi Suite as that can't hurt. If that doesn't fix it then contact Nokia or your network provider.

Yeah this is an option but she just hates it aswell tbh, phones4u customer service is shite and orange arent much better. The usual send off for repair then two weeks later you get it back only to find the problem is still there, just hassle tbh.

The phone keeps having stages of the touch screen not working at all now.
deano87

23rd Mar 11 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must admit widgets are pretty cool.

The RSS feed itself is a bit wank though. On my PC through Thunderbird the RSS loads with images etc. However the RSS feed just displays as limited text, say first 140 characters, then links to the website, which isn't mobile friendly.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N8 25 database queries in 0.0181251 seconds