corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How much weight does a corsa actually loose when the back seats etc are taken out?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How much weight does a corsa actually loose when the back seats etc are taken out?
Scotty C

User status: Offline
24th Feb 11 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JaffaTB
the pump weighs a ton you should have took that off aswell

ive removed all my sound proofing from under the carpet then put the carpet back in, took all the heat shields off for the exhaust, fibreglass bonnet and boot with plastic window

That was next but I wrote the car off before I had chance
Mieran

24th Feb 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lighter wheels would make more difference
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

24th Feb 11 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Mike B will be in here shortly. The way we're going he'll have to watch out for cross winds in case they blow his car over.

Just the sunroof itself was 15kg on mine, that's being replaced with a 500g sheet of ally, door windows with motors and regs was 10kg, about 15kg of sound proofing, 4kg of metal cut out of the doors, looms being trimmed, tunes binned, spare wheel well will be getting cut out, again replaced with ally. rear windows are going replaced with polycarb. Cobra subframes at 10kg a piece are being binned in favour of some welding and 2 lengths of angle, power steering is getting binned (nice saving on the pump and pipes and feels much better on a ragga), once my cage is in the side impact bars will be getting cut out which should see me at least even with the weight of the cage going in.

Just with the figures I've give there for some of those things there's a 64kg saving and that's without mentioning the seats, carpets, plastic trim etc. that never got weighed when it was took out. Need to get it weighed once it's finished so I can be disappointed and start hunting out more weightsaving potential
Gareth F

24th Feb 11 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Mike B will be in here shortly. The way we're going he'll have to watch out for cross winds in case they blow his car over.

Just the sunroof itself was 15kg on mine, that's being replaced with a 500g sheet of ally, door windows with motors and regs was 10kg, about 15kg of sound proofing, 4kg of metal cut out of the doors, looms being trimmed, tunes binned, spare wheel well will be getting cut out, again replaced with ally. rear windows are going replaced with polycarb. Cobra subframes at 10kg a piece are being binned in favour of some welding and 2 lengths of angle, power steering is getting binned (nice saving on the pump and pipes and feels much better on a ragga), once my cage is in the side impact bars will be getting cut out which should see me at least even with the weight of the cage going in.

Just with the figures I've give there for some of those things there's a 64kg saving and that's without mentioning the seats, carpets, plastic trim etc. that never got weighed when it was took out. Need to get it weighed once it's finished so I can be disappointed and start hunting out more weightsaving potential

Become anorexic and take a shit before you race
Mike
Premium Member

24th Feb 11 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, just remembered the sound proofing mat on the bonnet was another kilo so that rounds it nicely to 65kg

I like food too much to become anorexic
Gareth F

24th Feb 11 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gym has driven me to 16st and i drive lardy mk4 golf

But its a Tdi 130 with 6 gears and an arm rest so not built for track
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Feb 11 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think Mike needs to be too concerned with driver ballast
sand-eel

25th Feb 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are you cutting out the side bars?
corsamon

25th Feb 11 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

weight reduction, there bloody heavy side bars.
Only reccomended if you have a cage as he said.

Dash brace bar too in some cars there rather heavy
Mike
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

As said above that's only once the cage goes in which will have door bars, the door bars are just a solid lump of metal so they weigh a fair bit
RichR
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone gives/sells me a corsa for very little money; I'l show you how light one can be (and be just about legal)
Bueno

25th Feb 11 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does removing weight affect the over all handling much?

Also I've heard something about removing the front arb for handling purposes? Does this help?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.
mike56gte

25th Feb 11 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drive naked and maybe a shorter haircut might help.
Mike
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bueno
Does removing weight affect the over all handling much?

Also I've heard something about removing the front arb for handling purposes? Does this help?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

It doesn't affect the handling massively it's more an overall package, it helps out in various ways. Basically it's easier to move cup than it is a chest of drawers so less weight just makes it easier to move, whether that's in terms of speeding up, slowing down or going round corners.

Regarding the front ARB thing, it does help with cornering speeds but at the sacrifice of some stability. For a road car, I'd recommend leaving it on, with a bigger rear anti-roll bar and a standard front I found it really neutral handling, no oversteer and only slight understeer if I was really pushing. Without it I found the back end to be less planted which helped out on track and enabled faster cornering speeds but on the road where a few extra mph through the corners doesn't matter, keeping the front ARB is the safer option and still plenty of fun.

Bigger rear ARB is a must though imo
Mike
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mike56gte

On UK tracks you have arms and legs covered so that one's out and I've already got the advantage on the second one with being a baldy
thomson

25th Feb 11 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much does a corsa sxi non-sunroof with a let weigh?

1100kgs?
sand-eel

25th Feb 11 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

As said above that's only once the cage goes in which will have door bars, the door bars are just a solid lump of metal so they weigh a fair bit

Aaaaaaah I thought you meant the cage side bars
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Feb 11 at 23:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
If someone gives/sells me a corsa for very little money; I'l show you how light one can be (and be just about legal)
Less talking, more bidding.
mike56gte

26th Feb 11 at 02:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mike56gte

On UK tracks you have arms and legs covered so that one's out and I've already got the advantage on the second one with being a baldy

oh so thats why your bald! and heres me thinking that you were just getting old

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How much weight does a corsa actually loose when the back seats etc are taken out? 22 database queries in 0.1042070 seconds