corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Had a bit of a bump

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Had a bit of a bump
A2H GO

User status: Offline
16th Feb 11 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dudes, long story short...

Was on a pub car park, nipped to post office, came back to car, reversed out of space, due to poor rear visibility in the Corsa D and me not paying as much attention as I should, I clipped the corner of the rear bumper of the car in the opposite space.

A woman was in the car, we both got out, I apologised. We started chatting when she said 'well looks like it knock for knock' which I thought was a bit strange considering I was assuming responsibility. Thinking back, im pretty sure she had started reversing too resulting in me misjudging the distance. As my uncle owns a body-shop I offered to sort the repair (minor scratches £50-100 max) on an old Y reg Izuzu that she clearly wasn't too bothered about.

Shes now saying she will only go to an insurance approved bodyshop. Do I let her get the quote and pay it or go through insurance and claim 50:50?

[Edited on 16-02-2011 by A2H GO]
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

16th Feb 11 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let her get the quote, and decide from there.

Bare in mind that she may change her story if it goes to insurance though, and blame you entirely.
belton

16th Feb 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like she doesn't wanna just get her car fixed. Blatantly has some nob of a partner trying to get her to get her moneys worth.
Try and tell her insurance appoved bodyshops will get shit time on a car like hers so she is more likley to get problems in the future, where as your uncle wil treat her well as it's through you.
Also if she wants to go through insurance (not sure if she does from her above post) her insurance wil also go up!
Bonney

16th Feb 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be carefull with these. People usually say things like that out of shock, Then later on they think they can milk it for all its worth.

If it does go through the insurance it may be less hastle for you, But cost you more in the long term.
A2H GO

16th Feb 11 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
Let her get the quote, and decide from there.

Bare in mind that she may change her story if it goes to insurance though, and blame you entirely.

The guys coming out to quote her tomorrow so ill find out then but I imagine it will be more than double what my bodyshop will quote for the same job.

If it goes through insurance, she'll blame me and i'll blame her, no witness's usually means 50/50 but I imagine ill still have to pay the £300 excess and possibly loose my NCB.
AndyCorsaSport

16th Feb 11 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, youve done wrong in admitting it was your fault. She will take that and milk it to the max. Should have drove off, works for most people.
taylorboosh

16th Feb 11 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just deny ever hitting her
A2H GO

16th Feb 11 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
Tbh, youve done wrong in admitting it was your fault. She will take that and milk it to the max. Should have drove off, works for most people.

Damn right, just wanted to be honest at the time. It wasnt until after, driving home it clicked that she was also partly at fault.

So frustrating.
sc0ott

16th Feb 11 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whos to say you didnt start reversing first? Any cameras you could check?
Ben G

16th Feb 11 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh she can do what she likes.

she probably thinks your uncles bodyshop is a shitty backstreet place.

just let her get the quote.
A2H GO

16th Feb 11 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No cameras or witness's, it was on a random pub car park (I presume insurance is still valid in these locations).

I think Ill let her get the quote and if its less than my £300 excess Ill just pay. Live and learn and all that.

The main thing that annoys me is that shes clearly milking it and will get no benefit other than me having to pay out more money.
sc0ott

16th Feb 11 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why should you pay? Stop being a pussy.
It sounds you started reversing first as you would have covered more road and then she would have taken up a little bit but enough for you to hit her.
Blame her 100% for not using her mirrors.

Its not like you reversed a couple of foot back and hit her because then you would know you are to blame
bwbw

16th Feb 11 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just point out the simple facts... She's a woman who was driving, accident. I rest my case
A2H GO

16th Feb 11 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did start reversing 1st. I covered 80% of the distance,she covered 20%. it was at the point I was originally going to stop that the impanct took place, hence me going about 2mph.

It's not about being a pussy, if I start mouthing off the best scenario is that shs goes through insurance and we come out 50/50. Meaning I'll be worse off than she is.
Jambo

16th Feb 11 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go through insurance. You'll have no legal leg to stand in otherwise. No rout ending up a 50/50 split claim.

Daveskater
Premium Member

16th Feb 11 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
just deny ever having a car

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AndyCorsaSport

16th Feb 11 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, if your uncle's got a bodyshop, get yours in, get it fixed, if anything comes of it, deny all knowledge of ever seeing the woman or her car.
am4nf

16th Feb 11 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is you started moving first, so its her fault
sc0ott

16th Feb 11 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I did start reversing 1st. I covered 80% of the distance,she covered 20%. it was at the point I was originally going to stop that the impanct took place, hence me going about 2mph.

It's not about being a pussy, if I start mouthing off the best scenario is that shs goes through insurance and we come out 50/50. Meaning I'll be worse off than she is.

So there you go you know youre in the right. You should have taken pics of where your car was compared to hers as well. Mouthing off is better than sucking up to someone else who caused the accident by offering to repair it.

A2H GO

17th Feb 11 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shes claiming she was stationary the whole time and I can't be 100% sure she wasn't, maybe I misjudged the distance. But then even if she did start reversing she would say this to cover her back.

If I pay for our car to be repaired and tell her that i'm not paying for hers, she will either give up or try and claim on my insurance. If she try's to claim im guessing I won't have a leg to stand on becasue I won't have notified my insurance as at the time we agreed 'knock for knock'.
Adam-D

17th Feb 11 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt it private land?

corsaadzy

17th Feb 11 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get whatever damage to yours fixed and say you dont know anything about it .. her damage must have been there already coz therres no marks on your car
Toby
Premium Member

17th Feb 11 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oon a 50:50 claim if you dont have your car fixed then are liable as a claim and do you have to pay your excess surely your insurance company would fix yours and hers would fix hers in a 50:50
A2H GO

17th Feb 11 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
isnt it private land?

Yes it is private land, if thats what a pub car park is classed as, does that make a difference?

EDIT: Most recent insurance policys covers accidents on private land too.

[Edited on 17-02-2011 by A2H GO]
A2H GO

17th Feb 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
oon a 50:50 claim if you dont have your car fixed then are liable as a claim and do you have to pay your excess surely your insurance company would fix yours and hers would fix hers in a 50:50

I text her last night giving the details of my uncles bodyshop in the hope she decides to use him instead so no chance of ignoring anything ever happened now.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Had a bit of a bump 23 database queries in 0.1144991 seconds