corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Which BB Supplier now o2 have put prices up?!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which BB Supplier now o2 have put prices up?!
Doug

User status: Offline
11th Feb 11 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now that O2 have hiked their prices up I am tempted to scrap my BT line and o2 contract and go with Virgin.

There are 10mb, 30mb and 50mb packages available in my area.

I use my net for:

Xbox
iPlayer/Youtube
Rapidshare/Hotfile downloading (varies from 1gb a week to maybe 10gb in the odd week if I get some HD films)

Would Virgin throttle any of that? I don't fancy signing up to a 12 month contract only to get rubbish service for what I use the net for!

I do like the idea of fucking BT off as I really do not like them as a company. And if O2 are putting their prices up it means I will be paying £29 a month just for internet when I could get 30mb Cable BB for that!

Is it a bad move?

Cavey

11th Feb 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got that letter the other day and thought about looking round as well!

Only problem i've got is that i'm on a new estate, and the maximum speed I can get is 2-3mb anyway, so i'm kinda screwed, £9.50 isn't extortionate anyway really. (Think my line rental with sky is only £5 or something) but sky internet wasn't a good deal for me

Sorry it doesn't help with your situation really
Gareth

11th Feb 11 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the same situation, i think alot of people will be leaving o2 after getting that letter.

Doug

11th Feb 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no real complaints about the service but I dont want to get 9mb internet for the same price as 30mb internet.

I will give them a little call this weekend I think.

I am interested to hear experiences of current Virgin customers though.
stubs

11th Feb 11 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What letter is this?

I'm on O2's legacy £7.50/month unlimited deal... will I be receiving a letter?
Sam
Premium Member

11th Feb 11 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes my other half was saying she had an email or text (can't remember which) from O2 recently that they are increasing our broadband price.

Doesn't seem like a massive increase in price and the service is pretty good so I think we'll be staying with them.
stubs

11th Feb 11 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just phoned them... my BB is going up by about 23p/month. No big deal really especially as I'm still getting unlimited download on the basic deal, so I'll be staying put for now.
ljames555

11th Feb 11 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant believe some people even go with the likes of o2,bt etc you are never going to get good constant broadband speeds with copper wiring.

Ive always been with virgin media and i get 10mb no matter what time of the day and never have any problems with it.

Fibre optic ftw !
dannymccann

11th Feb 11 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ljames555
I cant believe some people even go with the likes of o2,bt etc you are never going to get good constant broadband speeds with copper wiring.

Ive always been with virgin media and i get 10mb no matter what time of the day and never have any problems with it.

Fibre optic ftw !

Because not all of us have access to Fibre Optic cables, for example, new build estates Virgin are not putting new cables in, so we are stuck with shitty old ADSL until the forseeable future
AlunJ

11th Feb 11 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ What danny said, I would much rather have virgin media broadband but it's not available here and virgin refuse to expand the network from just down the road. All I've got access to is shitty 1.5meg adsl

[Edited on 11-02-2011 by AlunJ]
John

11th Feb 11 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Fibre optic ftw !

I get more than that no matter what time of the day over my copper wiring
luciaadr

11th Feb 11 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
I've just phoned them... my BB is going up by about 23p/month. No big deal really especially as I'm still getting unlimited download on the basic deal, so I'll be staying put for now.

I would double check that. O2 legacy broadband "O2 Home Broadband Standard " is £7.66 per month, small increase on £7.50 due to VAT at 20%. This is increasing further to £9.50 see here

If they dont increase it for you, happy days, but its going up for everyone AFAIK. The old unlimited packages are being hit hardest to get people on the new (limited) ones. Actually see here also
luciaadr

11th Feb 11 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doug nothing in your usage will cause you a problem except the rapidshare etc. And only then if it was done at peak times (4pm - midnight from memory). If you D/L more than a couple of GB in this time your speed gets cut to a fraction of the 30Mb http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.html

As for their customer service, they are SHIT. However, if you get it all set up correct from the start (requires luck) then you will never need to call. My parents have cable at their house and haevt had a problem in years. If you make any changes to your account (names, addresses, price plan) though they WILL fuck it up.
ljames555

11th Feb 11 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:

Fibre optic ftw !

Id be suprised if you got your contracted speed at peak times over copper wiring( I had bt before and got 6mb quiet times and 1.5-3mb around 6pm).

I get 10mb because its what Ive paid for but can upgrade to 30mb or 50mb.

I know some people dont have access to VM I was one of them in the past , I wasnt clear in my comment I meant people who could have VM but choose copper wiring providers.
Pop

11th Feb 11 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a txt from them yesterday saying my new bill would be £10.21 which is a miniscule 21p rise from £10.

Their customer service has been great so I will be staying with them
John

11th Feb 11 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:

Fibre optic ftw !

Id be suprised if you got your contracted speed at peak times over copper wiring( I had bt before and got 6mb quiet times and 1.5-3mb around 6pm).

I get 10mb because its what Ive paid for but can upgrade to 30mb or 50mb.

I know some people dont have access to VM I was one of them in the past , I wasnt clear in my comment I meant people who could have VM but choose copper wiring providers.

I get 16mb and I get constant 1.6meg downloads from the right places.
luciaadr

11th Feb 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
I got a txt from them yesterday saying my new bill would be £10.21 which is a miniscule 21p rise from £10.

You need to read this http://www.reghardware.com/2011/02/11/o2_broadband_price_hike/ that i posted as well then. That'll be £18 please

Edit: Actually £13 inc O2 mobile discount

[Edited on 11-02-2011 by luciaadr]
noshua

11th Feb 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Schedule your downloads around the traffic management hours, or get 50Mb and don't get throttled.

Crusin.
noshua

11th Feb 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What speed are you getting with O2? Last time I checked Sky were cheap and you'll get roughly the same speed.
Pop

11th Feb 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luciaadr
quote:
Originally posted by Pop

You need to read this http://www.reghardware.com/2011/02/11/o2_broadband_price_hike/ that i posted as well then. That'll be £18 please

Edit: Actually £13 inc O2 mobile discount

[Edited on 11-02-2011 by luciaadr]

Cheers for the link

I have an O2 mobile so if it's only going up to £13 I'll stay with them and take the hit.
Mike2k111

12th Feb 11 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New pricing stucture for the old Legacy O2 broadband packages which comes into play 31st March:

Old Standard Price - £7.50 - £12.50 (no O2 Mobile discount)
New Standard Price £9.50 - £14.50 (no O2 Mobile discount) - increase of £2

Old Premium Price £10.00 - £15.00 (no O2 Mobile discount)
New Premium Price £13.00 - £18.00 (no O2 Mobile discount) - increase of £3

Old Pro Price £17.50 £22.50 (no O2 Mobile discount)
New Pro Price £21.50 £26.50 (no O2 Mobile discount) - increase of £4

The Old Pices are at 17.5% VAT
The New Prices are at 20% VAT

Basically the old Standard/Premium/Pro broadband packages from O2 contain no form of Traffic Management restrictions (peak time slow down) on internet speeds.

Unfortunately the new packages from O2 (The Basics, The Allrounder etc...) do contain Traffic Management restrictions which will see internet speeds drop significantly between say 5pm and 11pm + weekends.

O2 have been trying to push people off the old legacy packages by first bringing out offers on their home phone line + broadband which requires you to sign up for the new Traffic managed packages and now by pushing up the prices on the legacy broadband packages.

IMO even though the price hike isn't great it's still tough to get a better performance/price/service than the O2 legacy packages if your lucky enough to have one (no longer available for new customers) and don't have access to fibre.
Andrew

12th Feb 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
quote:

Fibre optic ftw !

Because not all of us have access to Fibre Optic cables, for example, new build estates Virgin are not putting new cables in, so we are stuck with shitty old ADSL until the forseeable future
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

12th Feb 11 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin dont throttle the 50Meg service. And as im typing im getting 6536KBs download speed downloading 22GB
Sam
Premium Member

12th Feb 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2k111
New pricing stucture for the old Legacy O2 broadband packages which comes into play 31st March:

Old Standard Price - £7.50 - £12.50 (no O2 Mobile discount)
New Standard Price £9.50 - £14.50 (no O2 Mobile discount) - increase of £2

Old Premium Price £10.00 - £15.00 (no O2 Mobile discount)
New Premium Price £13.00 - £18.00 (no O2 Mobile discount) - increase of £3

Old Pro Price £17.50 £22.50 (no O2 Mobile discount)
New Pro Price £21.50 £26.50 (no O2 Mobile discount) - increase of £4

The Old Pices are at 17.5% VAT
The New Prices are at 20% VAT

Basically the old Standard/Premium/Pro broadband packages from O2 contain no form of Traffic Management restrictions (peak time slow down) on internet speeds.

Unfortunately the new packages from O2 (The Basics, The Allrounder etc...) do contain Traffic Management restrictions which will see internet speeds drop significantly between say 5pm and 11pm + weekends.

O2 have been trying to push people off the old legacy packages by first bringing out offers on their home phone line + broadband which requires you to sign up for the new Traffic managed packages and now by pushing up the prices on the legacy broadband packages.

IMO even though the price hike isn't great it's still tough to get a better performance/price/service than the O2 legacy packages if your lucky enough to have one (no longer available for new customers) and don't have access to fibre.

That's interesting reading there. We are on the old Standard package, been on it for over 2 years now. Probably best not to upgrade to a better/newer package if they are traffic shaping the new ones now!
A2H GO

12th Feb 11 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O2 did mine free for 12 months for the 3rd year running a couple of months ago. Cant fault the DL speeds either.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll