corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How Do I Wire Up LED's?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How Do I Wire Up LED's?
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 03 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have bought some LED's from Maplins.

I have 2xRED 12v so I know I don't need a resistor for these, but I've forgotten whcih rod is the +ve and which is the earth - is it the longer one or the shorter one?!

I have 4xUltrabright blue LED's which have got a resistor each. Do the resistors have to be a certain way around - they look symmetrical to me.

Does the wiring go <LIVE>-<RESISTOR>-<LED +ve> then <LED -ve>-<EARTH> ??

Thanks for the help guy's.
digitalbanana

3rd Apr 03 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the short stalk on the led is -ve.
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks digital! do you know about the resistors? if they can go any way around?

And is it true if you solder the wires etc for too long you fry the LED and resistor?

Thanks all

[Edited on 03-04-2003 by Mav 3000]
jm960326

3rd Apr 03 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Resistors work either way round. You can damage components with the heat from solder but you'd have to heat them a hell of a lot to do it so doubt you will. Not sure bout the wiring for them sorry. Would of thought in series as you said so that the resistor reduces the voltage to the LED.
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Apr 03 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont u have 2 have 1 resistor per led?? when i did gcse electronics...was always shown 2 use 1 per led??? dunno if its right or not

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
jm960326

3rd Apr 03 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah 1 per LED thought thats what he got?? The ones with out at 12V rated so should be OK I think??

[Edited on 03-04-2003 by jm960326]
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats right I've got 2 12V LED's which should look after themselves and then 4xBlue LED's and 4x resistors.

I am wiring them up and putting them in my door pocket - what is the best way to this? I was thinking of branching off of a live wire to the Central Locking with one wire, then splitting this up into 3 live wires - as I'm having 1 red and 2 blue LED's per door. I then have three wires which I join up and then earth. I would ideally then have only 2 wire I need to disconnect insteadof 3 everytime I wished to take the door card off.

What do you think?

Cheer for the replies.
digitalbanana

3rd Apr 03 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mav 3000
Thanks digital! do you know about the resistors? if they can go any way around?

And is it true if you solder the wires etc for too long you fry the LED and resistor?

Thanks all

no problem m8.

Resistors can go any way round...

if u solder the LEDS for too long the heat does affect them...do it quick or in small parts...dont solder for ages!!
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did a diagram before for somebody who wanted to wire up some LED's to come on when they're HU came on. ill attach the image now. its the same principle, you just dunt use the amp remote switch to turn a replay on, just wire the Live for The LED's straight into where every ure getting the live from
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks DJ That was me too before!

I am going to wire up my LED's in advance ofme sorting my EW problems out.

When wiring up the LED's I will be getting one earth and one live from the 'door' and then splitting three wiresoff of these wires going to the LED's.

Is it ok to solder three wires offof the one going to the live and then send these three wires to the LED's? I will wrap the solders in electrical tape.

Another question too: Do the LED's get hot? I was going to poke one through my plastic door pocket plastic but my Dad says that it may melt the plastic and that I need a holder. Is this correct?

Will it be ok to earth the wires by securing them underneth a bolt in the door?

Thanks for the help again!
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats that about a fuse? If I branch a wire offof a live in my dor - say from my central locking live or something - will I need to fuse it on the way to my LED's? Can I do this in the door - how - and what if I don't?
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you run them from a live thats already in the door, then it must have allready been fused, so you're ok there.

Three LED's off one lie wire is no problems as they only take milli amps, and the wires wont get hot at all. if the drain from the LED's was bigger, then it wouldnt be safe at all to tap into it three times.

if you want to poke them though the plastic in ure door, its best to use a proper plug for doing this. you drill about an 8mm diameter hole, and the LED goes inside itm then this pushes into the little hole u just drilled. i'll get the part number for maplin now, gimmie 2 secs, and ill post it up ere 4 ya
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here ya go. this is the page with them on. i aint sure what size LED's ya got, so its easyer to just show them all 2 ya Click ere Boss
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not near Maplins - was this morning but forgot to get them! I'm phoneing a place in Hinckley Leics tomorrow morning.

Halfords said they sell them but the don't sell them without bulbs - and the set costs 4.99 upwards

Thanks for all the help voodoo - wil be doing this tomorrow al being well.

Is the live to the CL a permanent live when the ignitionis on?

Cheers
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a permanent live. on when the ignition is off to. cuz ya can open ya doors when ya key aint in innit. when do you want the lights to be on?
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want the 19p 5mm ones! I came home from uni thos mornin without them and my nearest Maplins is Leicester

Is my idea aboutt he CL live correct?

Also, ir my earthing idea ok? lik the three seperate earths from each LED up into one wire then stick this under a bolt in the door, or a screw etc.

Cheers for the link!
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The CL live is live permanently, wether ure ignition is on or off.! and yeah, you can earth them together, just make sure its a good solid conection thats all. and make sure any joints are sealed up nicely with insulation tape.
when do you want the LED's to be on?
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my key is in the ignition I want the LED's to be on, ie the 'electrics' part of the key turning process. when I turn my car off but leave the key in the ignition-my stereo stays on. I want my LED's to stay on too, until I take my key out. Is this possible? I will one day hopefully have lives going to EM and EW's too!

I want a screw in socket that will screw into my plastic door pocket and will fit my 5mm LED - whcih is the correct thing off of the Maplin page above? Convex or concace or the things below - If I can get this right I'll order them online tonight.

DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

conves stick out, and concave are recessed, so its up to you. what ones best suit the job you wanna do.

if you want them to be on when ure ignition is on , then wiring them up to the CL is the wrong way. if you wanna do this, the best way is to run a cable thats spliced into the ignition live that turns ure head unit it, and run it into the doors, using this as the live for the lights
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Er? How do I find which cable does this? and how do I get it into my door and through my multi-plug in the hinge?

I want the convex ones. Do I need anything else off of that page?
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope, just them things, although there is something that'll seriously help u when wiring up the LED's. its sumthin that saves u from having to solder onto the LED's, and lets u just push the LED's into them. u want me to make up a list of everything you need? how many LED's do you have?
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 2 12v RED LED's and 4xULTRA BLUE LEDS - all 5mm. the blue ones have matching resistors each.

I don't mind soldering but if theres a cheap alternative then please let me know!

Do you know if the EW or EM lives (or the lives t the switches for EW are permanent? I know the EW switches have little lights in them - they must need power. How about them?

thanks again!
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EW lives are ignition switched, as the only work when the ignition is on. i cant find them LED socket things, so it luks like ure gunna have to solder them
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Total for the two clips is 32p, shipping is £2.00! Hate online buying so much!

Another thing (yet another!) is the red LEDs can clip inbut the blue ones due to their intended position will be 'stuck in place' with electrical tape. I trust this is ok - although not exactly proffesional!
DJ_Voodoo

3rd Apr 03 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many of these LED's are gunna be coming through a pannel?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll