corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If you're not Prem

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If you're not Prem
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
4th Jan 11 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cavmad
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Why not?

See MIG have made theirs cheaper, thoughts?

MIG is quieter, but MIG has less 'txt tlkn' wankers and does, to it's credit, have a better image than CS. Now before you get all uppity, it's probably because more Corsa owners see their cars as something to cover in glue before ram raiding a drain pipe factory.
There are some decent people on here but it's unbelievable that 'txt tlkrs' seem to go unpunished by moderation. Surely to God others can see that it dumbs the place down? Small gripe maybe but it does at times look like an illiterate chav fest.

Don't forget MIG offer something to all Vauxhall owners, not just for the Corsa boys and girls. I would imagine they've made their's cheaper due to them being fairly quiet recently.

Really? This is a 13 page thread and there hasn't been one instance of this "txt tlk" you speak of.
JonnyJ

4th Jan 11 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now 14 page thread
luciaadr

4th Jan 11 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
I joined to become a prem as iirc there was only a search function for them. I joined, search function was rubbish so i never rejoined.

Rick Draper
Premium Member

Username to view:

Sorry, Rick Draper's Premium Membership has expired!
Rick Draper

4th Jan 11 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
I joined to become a prem as iirc there was only a search function for them. I joined, search function was rubbish so i never rejoined.

Rick Draper
Premium Member

Worded that post like a retard sorry.

I became a prem last year or so ago to use the search function as at that point it was only available for prems. Its since lapsed and i will not bother renewing.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 11 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
it's unbelievable that 'txt tlkrs' seem to go unpunished by moderation. Surely to God others can see that it dumbs the place down? Small gripe maybe but it does at times look like an illiterate chav fest.
I wouldn't say unpunished is the right word because I generally wouldn't consider it a punishment issue.

There is a stance in the rules, and I've also had rants about it in the past. So it's not really being ignored as you suggest.
cavmad

4th Jan 11 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Now 14 page thread

I didn't say this thread only, I meant in general. I've definately noticed loads of 'txt tlk' on here, am I the only one?

Edit: Fair play Ian, but can you not add something to capture and change text talk so it types correctly? A bit like where mentioning a certain other car forum comes out with a different word, maybe it could be formatted so things like 'ppl' comes out as 'I suck donkey whang for cash' and 'm8' comes out as 'it's a motorway in Scotland, you fucking bell end', that type of thing?

[Edited on 04-01-2011 by cavmad]
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 11 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you've noticed. Text talk is not the same issue as poor literacy. Might look the same but the solutions are vastly different. I've seen plenty of poor literacy, but you won't fix that with moderation.
cavmad

4th Jan 11 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To save me editing again (and although it'll count for sod all) I personally don't have a problem with bad spelling/punctuation. Nobody is perfect but 'txt typn' is inexcusable and the sure sign of an idiot.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 11 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could play games with the swear filter, yes. That doesn't solve the nation's literary needs. I still maintain whatever measures CS put in place, it wouldn't solve it as such. Might lessen the reader's exposure to it, or put people off posting, but if it's a genuine institutional literary weakness, this is really not a matter for CS to take on, never-mind pretend it's solving.
DannyB
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would also be impossible for people to go around and moderate eveyones posts.
cavmad

4th Jan 11 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might not solve the nation's literacy problems but (if used correctly) it certainly would help on here in my humble opinion.
If you changed 'M8' to mate for example could you add a 'text type' warning to the sender asking them to refrain from using it again.

I'd imagine it'd be a right pain in the arse to sort out for you but I honestly believe it would help this forum. Failing that could you post warnings on each sub section* and have a few miserable old twats like me with nothing better to do report the posts and have a 'three strikes out and you're out policy'?

*You may already have this in place.
Rick Draper

4th Jan 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

R8T0
Ste L

5th Jan 11 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It might not solve the nation's literacy problems but (if used correctly) it certainly would help on here in my humble opinion.
If you changed 'M8' to mate for example could you add a 'text type' warning to the sender asking them to refrain from using it again.

I'd imagine it'd be a right pain in the arse to sort out for you but I honestly believe it would help this forum. Failing that could you post warnings on each sub section* and have a few miserable old twats like me with nothing better to do report the posts and have a 'three strikes out and you're out policy'?

*You may already have this in place.

you could do that, but could get anoying for people who are using M8, for a bolt size etc etc etc
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 11 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or talking about driving around Scotland.

Just did a particularly unscientific pair of queries on the posts table, m8 occurs 17190 times, mate 155979.

That doesn't discriminate motorways or bolts so the true figures are slightly different.

[Edited on 05-01-2011 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 11 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graph is funnier.

Aggregated m8 and mate and plotted the percentage. There's actually less people using the text version now than there was years ago.

In 2003 we peaked at 736 m8s a month compared to 1736 mates in the same month. 30% text talk. December 2010 we were at 2.8%.
Whittie

5th Jan 11 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You bored m8?
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 11 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just curious.

Next job is find out who to blame that peak on in 2008
DannyB
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tom130691
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im too poor to be premium might do it when i get my student loan, and will loose my premium member virginity,

edit: now search the word "sick" should be low until late

[Edited on 05-01-2011 by saxo_tom]
Graham88

5th Jan 11 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing to do with the fact it's a small amount of money, more the fact I just see very little benefit. The only thing I would like to have is an avatar. A sig is unimportant and I find signatures untidy, I don't need a garage to host pictures as I already pay for Photobucket for that. Premium Lounge never really had anything interesting when I last looked in when I was previously Prem.

But the forum is still my favourite one just out of everything, and I'm on alot of forums so I think that is something CS should be proud of, prem or not prem.
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 11 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

December 2008, one single user was responsible for nearly 40% of all m8s.

That's over 2 m8s per day

[Edited on 05-01-2011 by Ian]
Graham88

5th Jan 11 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That m8 graph is funny
Whittie

6th Jan 11 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who was it in 08?
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 11 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Names have been changed to protect the innocent.
xa0s
Banned

6th Jan 11 at 06:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing I want is an avatar and possibly a signature (text), it's kind of annoying as literally every forum I'm on allows this but I suppose it's a good thing as it's almost tempting just for the avatar alone... I don't attend shows or receive any benefits/stickers (etc) so really can't be bothered.

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If you're not Prem 22 database queries in 0.2116220 seconds