corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Paint Day: Bathroom Ceiling

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Paint Day: Bathroom Ceiling
Dom

User status: Offline
13th Dec 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ceiling was recently painted, 3-4months ago (used a polycell basecoat and vinyl top), and it has already started to flake and peel directly over the bath/shower area - guessing moisture has got to it. As the ceiling is going to get stripped and painted again, i was wondering what's the best paint to use for a bathroom ceiling?

Sam
Premium Member

13th Dec 10 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used some anti mould paint as our bathroom (as with the rest of this house) is a piece of crap.

Hasn't peeled off as yet, did this about 3 weeks ago I think though
mattk

14th Dec 10 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might not be an option but it would help o put an extractor in, we were having this problem and a fan is the only thing that totaly stopped it in the end
Sam
Premium Member

14th Dec 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed. Our bathroom doesn't have an extractor (and the landlord won't put one in). There was a shitty mirror cabinet thing that covered about 80% of the vent hole in the wall which I ripped off the wall after one of the doors fell off when my wife tried to open it before using the shower (the mirror glass shattered everywhere and she was VERY lucky not to have been cut by any of the glass!).

I went out and bought a bigger vent cover thingy from Wickes as whoever put a small one covering the exposed hole on top of the cabinet (no wonder there was no ventilation in there!). We also cleaned the walls and ceiling in that area with vinegar (they were all covered in mould) and then I painted everywhere with that anti mould paint for bathrooms, no mould growth as yet though!

Although I still need to tackle the black mould shite that's on the silicone where the bath tub is!
jungle

14th Dec 10 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just strip it off and use some mid sheen or even silk on it but don't whatever you do is use matt on it
Dom

14th Dec 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
might not be an option but it would help o put an extractor in, we were having this problem and a fan is the only thing that totaly stopped it in the end

Already have a 8/9" extractor at the end of the bath, this is why we're confused to why the ceiling peels. Likewise the window is opened every time someone uses the shower/bath.

Jungle - Will give it a go, but the ceiling has been painted a handful of times since we've been in the house (15yrs or so) and it seems to peel every time. Hence why i was wondering if there is any paint that won't do this.
CORSA NUT

14th Dec 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had this problem recently mate...

Just scraped off the old paint and sanded the rough edges down..2 coats of undercoat then 2 coats of Dulux bathrrom ceiling paint.
CORSA NUT

14th Dec 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add most extractor fans are shit Best thing to do is have an in-line fan in the loft screwed to a joist. This way you get the maximum extraction rate without any noise

Even with our window wide open the tiled walls still run with water hence why i need to sort the in-line fan out! No place to vent outside though
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Dec 10 at 02:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

strip the paint off and give it a coat of a pva glue/water mix. maybe even 2 coats

then paint as normal

should stop it flaking then!

[Edited on 15-12-2010 by IvIarkgraham]
Sam
Premium Member

15th Dec 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Big tubs of sodium chloride crystals (i.e. salt) will help as salt attracts moisture and the crystals turn into brine, which you can then heat up and turn back into salt again!
Kano

21st Dec 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had the dulux anti mould stuff on the ceiling in our bathroom for over a year now and its perfect. We dont have an extractor fan either so it gets quite wet.
luciaadr

22nd Dec 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Just to add most extractor fans are shit Best thing to do is have an in-line fan in the loft screwed to a joist. This way you get the maximum extraction rate without any noise

Even with our window wide open the tiled walls still run with water hence why i need to sort the in-line fan out! No place to vent outside though

Got a (covered) cold water tank in the loft you can vent into?
neoquip

29th Dec 10 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
strip the paint off and give it a coat of a pva glue/water mix. maybe even 2 coats

then paint as normal

No.. never do that!!!!!!!

why would you put PVA on bare plaster!!!

it's a big NO NO.
Dom

29th Dec 10 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neoquip
quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

then paint as normal

No.. never do that!!!!!!!

why would you put PVA on bare plaster!!!

it's a big NO NO.

Was thinking the same. Got any suggestions Neo?
neoquip

29th Dec 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never PVC bare plaster walls, its what ppl do when they don't know enough about decorating!

Thing is, you need to be clear what the problem is, without seeing it myself I can't be 100%.
Ie:
is the walls/plaster damp through...
1: a leak from somewhere and the surface is wet through that.
2: moisure from shower/bath
3: lack of ventalition and not enough heat.

bathrooms are trricky.

depends on circulation of air... and size of room.

My bathroom is all contract matt emultion.... No problems 3years on.. got a fan and a window and it's half tiled and quite big.

My ensuite is contract matt emulsion on ceiling... and walls, then I've done a paint effect on the walls, then glazed/vanished it with emulsion Glaze in matt finish... no window, just a fan in there.

Strip and loose paint off.

on bare plaster give a coat of thinned emulsion... this then soaks into the bare plaster.

Then you can either use:

1, emulsion Matt (as long as you don't get bad condensation in the room).

2, a soft sheen or vinyl silk emulsion ( this will give you a shinny surface that will make moisure run down on the paint surafce if condension is bad)

3, Dulux bathroom MATTpaint (from B&Q etc) is the same as the Dulux TRADE Diamond matt paint) Crown tarde do Clean Extreme in Matt. this is very good in bathrooms too

4, Crown do anti condensation paint as well, this would be a last resort if you have big condensation issues.

mold comes when you have damp wet enviroments with no heat and air circulation.

Address these things in a bathroom first.

[Edited on 29-12-2010 by neoquip]

New Poll