corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » What do you use your credit card for?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What do you use your credit card for?
John

User status: Offline
7th Dec 10 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barclaycard for one.
AndyKent

7th Dec 10 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Egg still do 1% but theres a monthly fee of £1 I think. If you only spend small amounts the fee will outweigh the benefit.

Better for long standing customers (like me) who don't pay the monthly charge.
Graham88

9th Dec 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Random question but I've just got my credit card bill come through, I've got 0% on it atm can I just pay a certain amount this month and the rest next month and not get any charges?
pow
Premium Member

10th Dec 10 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as it is 0% on purchases (ie stuff you've bought with it) then yes, just pay over the minimum payment
ed

10th Dec 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some jeans with my card from Gap at the weekend. Mainly because it looks the same as my debit card and says Visa on it still. I get confused.
Mertin

10th Dec 10 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I bought some jeans with my card from Gap at the weekend. Mainly because it looks the same as my debit card and says Visa on it still. I get confused.

Just dont do it at cash machines or you'll get a cash advance charge likely
ed

11th Dec 10 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be annoying! I think it warns you of the charge though if you try as I've done a cash advance once before in the olden days...
16vKarlos

11th Dec 10 at 04:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clearing the balance off every month is not a good thing to do... Banks and mortgage lenders like to see that you have been in debt before and that you pay it off over a period of time. Just like you would in a mortgage situation.

Clearing the balance before you get ' this month your minimum payment is £29.50' is a bad thing as you are not actually putting yourself in debt at anytime, as the balance is only due on a set date each month.

Always pay more than your minimum payment, you guys all seem like you have a bit of money to spare each month so rather than paying £30 each month for a £3000 debt, pay as much as you can.. Never the full amount though.

If for instance you can pay £400 off but next month you won't be able to pay anything as you would be hard up. Pay £200 in each month. That way you have paid the same amount but you have not missed a payment date.

Pop

11th Dec 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 16vKarlos
Clearing the balance off every month is not a good thing to do... Banks and mortgage lenders like to see that you have been in debt before and that you pay it off over a period of time. Just like you would in a mortgage situation.

Clearing the balance before you get ' this month your minimum payment is £29.50' is a bad thing as you are not actually putting yourself in debt at anytime, as the balance is only due on a set date each month.

Always pay more than your minimum payment, you guys all seem like you have a bit of money to spare each month so rather than paying £30 each month for a £3000 debt, pay as much as you can.. Never the full amount though.

If for instance you can pay £400 off but next month you won't be able to pay anything as you would be hard up. Pay £200 in each month. That way you have paid the same amount but you have not missed a payment date.

I've always paid my credit card off in full every month and had no issues getting a mortgage.

If you look at your credit rating/score does it not just show as a green mark that you haven't defaulted rather than how much you have paid/owe each month?
John

11th Dec 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, that's complete bollocks.

I always pay off in full (unless I've got an interest free card for something) and have absolutely no problem getting any form of credit.
Rob_Quads

11th Dec 10 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3rded

Paying it off in full is a very GOOD demonstration that you can manage your finances and this is what morgage companies look for.
Jamie Walby

11th Dec 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dropped a bollock with my credit card, thought it was 0% for 12 months, so purchased a few things. Was actually only 0% for 3months So I havent got all the money put to one side to clear it all. Hey ho nearly all gone now

[Edited on 11-12-2010 by Jamie Walby]
Ben G

11th Dec 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by pow
As it stands I don't owe a penny to anyone person or any bank/credit card!

The joys of pre-mortgage living. I'm 24 and owe over £150k to various financial providers.

same here

hate looking at my online account and seeing it 157k in the red and 2k on the credit card

credit card is 0% for 12 months though, and after that i'll be getting a tesco 0% credit card.
AlunJ

13th Dec 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thank god I don't have an online account showing me my mortgage I get depressed enough looking at my credit card online
deano87

13th Dec 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As of pay day in Feb I'll be car credit card debt free

Then just paying off the TV but that is a proper luxury so I don't mind
ed

14th Dec 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a shirt on my credit card the other day
jacko198

19th Dec 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just got a credit card, only got a £200 limit as its the only one i could get. (Orange fooked up my billing between contracts so i didnt have credit going back over a year, which i did!)

I just use it for petrol etc etc, pay the minumum a month and pay it off when i have some £

1st step on the credit ladder for me
AndyKent

19th Dec 10 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're going to use one clear it in full, always.
Xs

20th Dec 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent

If I have the money to pay something in full I would just use my debit card or cash though.
John

20th Dec 10 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only needs cleared if it's not interest free, as has been said already in the thread, some of us use a cashback credit card for everything instead of debit/cash, these need cleared in full.
Mase
Premium Member

20th Dec 10 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use my tesco card for most things, specifically fuel from Tesco.... I have just put most Christmas things on there and a small addition of some Dreamscience software to re-map the Focus

Oh well, interest free, so may aswell make some use of it!

Mase
Xs

21st Dec 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Only needs cleared if it's not interest free

I don't see why everyone is saying they need to be cleared? As long as someone is making payment, regardless of the card being interest free or not then it cannot reflect bad on your rating.
Pop

21st Dec 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent

If I have the money to pay something in full I would just use my debit card or cash though.

Why? Get a CC which gives you points/cashback and benefit even more from buying stuff you can afford to pay off in full.
John

21st Dec 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
quote:
Originally posted by John
Only needs cleared if it's not interest free

I don't see why everyone is saying they need to be cleared? As long as someone is making payment, regardless of the card being interest free or not then it cannot reflect bad on your rating.

It doesn't, you'll be paying interest though in which case there should be better solution than a credit card.
Hammer

21st Dec 10 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't let John kid you on.

The only thing he uses his credit card for is chapping out the lines.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll