corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Electric Window Fitting Update...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electric Window Fitting Update...
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
29th Mar 03 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As some of you may be aware todat was the day I was to try and fit electric mirrors and electric windows into my car.

I stripped the doors and was ready to remove the door wiring:

First of all I noticed that the Central Locking connectors were different on my new wiring than my existing wiring. This is no problem I thought as I could simply re-wire the old plugs onto the new wiring.

The second and worst problem is the door harness wiring plug (the bit that goes into the loom through the door hings) has loads of connectors on it - for CL, EW and EM. The plastic plug that comes from my car has hardly any connectors in it - all the little plastic plug holes are empty apart from 9. the new wiring needs about 20. I am now guessing that my car has no internal wiring for EM or EW!

I phoned Vauxhall and got mixed responses. First I was told electric windows are only availabel at factory level and cannot be 'added'.

I then phoned a larger dealership who said about the same, but they could wire up my kit for - wait for it! - £325! It is apparently 6 hours work. No thanks.

So far the best quote I've managed to get on a Saturday for wiring up my car - battery feeds, ignition and all that stuff I don't really get is £160inc VAT.

What the hell should I do? Sell the stuff anf give up, go with the quote, or get abetter one?

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated folks.
wainey

29th Mar 03 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate wired up his own electric windows into a mk3 astra! im sure he ditched his standard loom plug and then mated up the new ones to his existing loom, then with the spare wires for the electric windows just put a power source to them!
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Except I know sweet fa about electrics and anything like that.

I need to link up the passenger mirror and the EW switch/ wires etc and all the drivers side stuff.

Do you think £160 is a good price for doing this? This is my 1st quote so may do better on Monday.

How much are new loom plugs?
Kris TD

29th Mar 03 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the wiring in mine and its a 1993 ls model.
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's so fustrating! I was hoping it would be there - undid the plug and there was hardly and little metal connections in the damn thing - so I guess that no wire connectors means no power and no cables
Kris TD

29th Mar 03 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look in the rubber hose that goes between the car and the door, how many wires are in it?
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you pull that apart there are about 9 wire 'contacts' so I guess 9 wires in the rubber tube.

On my new loom there are about 20. I guess the extra ones are the windows and mirrors.

thanks for the
Kris TD

29th Mar 03 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pull the rubber bit off and check, i feel it very hard to believe your car doesnt have them fitted whehn mine which is 6 years older does.
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me get this straight then - the bit between the door and car, open it up to see contacts in plug - got 9. I then pul the ruber away and what should I do then?

Cheers for this help dude.
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing your thinking there may be some lose wired there or something.
Kris TD

29th Mar 03 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what im thinking yes
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there then its plug and pray time I suppose.

Stupid question then - do I just yank this out from my chassis?
Kris TD

29th Mar 03 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no matwe, take it out teh door end.
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okie doke - the result:

Opened the door, took the plug out of the door then pulled the rubber back to reveal... ...9 wires going into the 9 metal plug contacts, and nothing else.

I'm guessing that there's no wires anywhere. Do you think about £150 is ok to get this sorted (I've kept my doors striped so the're stright in there) or is it steep etc?

I can't see any other way as I don't know any electricians

[Edited on 29-03-2003 by Mav 3000]
Richie

29th Mar 03 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with both the ew's and the em's youve bought you should have wiring guides. From i think 1999 on base models had shit looms. Like my 1.0 litre i had to put wires through myself.
beattie17

29th Mar 03 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would save your self the hassle and pay £150 and get it done and over with mate
Mav 3000

29th Mar 03 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I'm thinking Beattie. It's a load of money but I wouldn't know what I was doing and don't want to mess anything up.

What's also is annoying is that the new wiring has different central locking connectors.

I think I can put the newer plug onto the old wiring (to go in) and it will work.

I'll still write a tutorial on how to do it – it'll just be that I didn't actually do it myself. I've taken a few pictures and stuff of what should go where for other people on here.

Thanks guys. Any other opinions welcome peeps.
Kenni

30th Mar 03 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mav 3000
The second and worst problem is the door harness wiring plug (the bit that goes into the loom through the door hings) has loads of connectors on it - for CL, EW and EM. The plastic plug that comes from my car has hardly any connectors in it - all the little plastic plug holes are empty apart from 9. the new wiring needs about 20. I am now guessing that my car has no internal wiring for EM or EW!

Your door loom has 9 male pins......you checked how many connectors are on the "loom in the car" which it connects to...there may be more female sockets..

Check whether there is a "empy" fuse space in the fuse box Number 28. This is the electric window fuse. There shud be a connector for the fuse...if not there isnt a connector, so your car doesnt have the loom in.
Mav 3000

30th Mar 03 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah I unplugged the plastic multi-plug thing and there are 9 sockets on both sides. I'll check the fuse number 28 and report back.

The new door loom will have about 20 contacts, but the 'loom on the car' only has 9 ƒ¼

Cheers for the help guys ļ
Corsa_Mel

31st Mar 03 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't it be easier to get a universal electric window kit? cheapest one i can find is £90. Surely there easy enough to fit?
Mav 3000

31st Mar 03 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking back probably yes!!

But ive got all the kit now - and I'd still be stuck with all the wiring difficulties.
MattyB

31st Mar 03 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate - check in the drivers footwell, where the loom for ur central locking and speakers go towards the connecter block. If there are only 9 wires actually going there, then NO, u dont have any of the loom for the EW and EM.

On my 1993 LS, i have bout 20 wires goin to the connector block inside the car, but only 4 wires actually go through the connector.

wot model/year is ur car?

Matt
Mav 3000

31st Mar 03 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a 1999 Cosa B Club 1.2 16v. Oct 1999.

Where exactly is the connector block? By looking in the footwell do you mean take the side kick panel off near where the ECU thingamebob is?

I'll check it out in a bit.

[Edited on 31-03-2003 by Mav 3000]
MattyB

31st Mar 03 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep take that off and look behind there. Where the loom goes towards the door and out of the car. The big rubber grommet in the door. check there
Matt
Mav 3000

3rd Apr 03 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have taken off the kcik panel and looked upwards towards the ruber gromet. I have a small loom which comes out below by ECU box from the floor with 11 cables in it which goes up to the grommet. It's weird because there are only 9 wires going through the gomet to the multiplug as I have looked there as well.

I guess I don't have any wiring

Vauxhall phoned me as well and said look there, although they suggested I took my car in to a garage and pay a mechanic to check for me

Dunno what to do now - whole things costing me loads more than I had hoped

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll