corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » HDR Experimentation Thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDR Experimentation Thread
Russ

User status: Offline
19th Nov 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's my quick effort, just installed it in aperture, so not really messed with the settings.

Sorry for watermark

[Edited on 19-11-2010 by Russ]
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good shit blud, try maing the darkest image a lower exposure
Russ

19th Nov 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd attempt, just for you steve

Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could get some awesome toning with that cloud

what do people think of this adustment?

better/worse?
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simon

19th Nov 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing on this page is particularly 'HDR', which Isn't such a bad thing, I think it's all a bit of a gimmick, same as spot colouring
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Nov 10 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The boat to me looks desaturated and lacking in contrast.

The night stuff is nice but I think a properly lit scene would be a good substitute for post-processing, particularly in hdr51.jpg

That one for me either needs more light in the foreground or cropping so you've just got the bridge and the silhouette of trees around it. Don't think the differing colour temps of the bridge and apartment lights help.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Nothing on this page is particularly 'HDR', which Isn't such a bad thing, I think it's all a bit of a gimmick, same as spot colouring

Gimmicky maybe, but a lot of it is definately hdr, maybe not so much on this 2nd page, but the 1st page images defiantely are
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 10 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

The night stuff is nice but I think a properly lit scene would be a good substitute for post-processing,

i agree i want to mainly use it where proper lighting isnt possible, such as under an archway with an image in the foreground that becomes over exposed when capturing the details of the arch

most of this stuff I have done is just experimenting to allow me to find the best settings for when a situation does arise
Simon

19th Nov 10 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Gimmicky maybe, but a lot of it is definately hdr, maybe not so much on this 2nd page, but the 1st page images defiantely are

Yeah first page are more so
Steve
Premium Member

20th Nov 10 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back to sensible proper HDR, and one i did of my missus mates kitchen through to the lounge

[Edited on 20-11-2010 by Steve]
Simon

20th Nov 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See, this is one of my problems with HDR. Not a very interesting photo to start with, just with the 'HDR' effect applied.

Your night images above are nice photos without needing any effects to them
Steve
Premium Member

20th Nov 10 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all just experimentation they arent meant to be interesting really just showing how the effect is used. Look at the range of exposures at the bottom, the lights flare out on all but the darkest image but you lose most other details on the dark exposure. HDR allows to produce an image without flared lights but showing all other details

soon i will go somewhere interesting that needs hdr to produce a decent image.

will feature locations like under a darkened bridge with interesting stonework but also with a subject outside the bridge where taking a range of exposures will lead to one detail or another being lost depending on the choice of exposure, but hdr will allow to take the pick from a range of exposures so all details will be visible.

wait and see then youl see why this has its uses

Lawrah
Premium Member

20th Nov 10 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out my back..

Not reallly.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Nov 10 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool blud

getting there with this shit

Butler

20th Nov 10 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats gimmicky about it? Most of the pros on our magazine use HDR to boost the sky, you wouldnt be able to tell immediately though when its really well done.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Nov 10 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like this blud?

Simon

20th Nov 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that's the thing, when its used properly you can't really notice it. It's the images that are completely over processed that I think are gimmicky. But that seems to be the effect that lots of people like getting. Just for me that effect has been done to death now
Steve
Premium Member

20th Nov 10 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah im after using it properly, done a view dramatic ones just for the sake of fucking about.

when i get some proper location pics they will be done right, hopefully lol
Butler

20th Nov 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you mean Simon, its hard to find that middle ground. Nice shot Steve. You got an SLR now?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 10 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite like this one i done, apart from the undesirable light flare that came out

Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 10 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 21-11-2010 by Steve]
Lawrah
Premium Member

21st Nov 10 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like that one. MOODY!!
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 10 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nother similar one

AdZ9

21st Nov 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the two last ones, not soon keen on the rest, but as you say its experimentation

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » HDR Experimentation Thread 23 database queries in 0.1952910 seconds