corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Council Tax

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Council Tax
Butler

User status: Offline
15th Oct 10 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having graduated im looking to rent as a proffesional, I have spoken to one landlord who has offered me a room in a property sharing with some students but says to me for purposes of council tax she wouldnt put me down as officially living at the property or something like that, surely thats tax evasion is it not?
Twiggy

15th Oct 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes.
Sam
Premium Member

15th Oct 10 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Report them to the council. If we have to pay council tax, everyone should as well - I don't see why people think they can get away with bending the rules, tight bastards.

[Edited on 15-10-2010 by Sam]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

15th Oct 10 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'd have to foot the whole council tax bill though! i would just keep quite and if anything happens its the land lords problem. Got away with 3years single person discount so its very easy.

[Edited on 15-10-2010 by VrsTurbo]
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Oct 10 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem there is you'll mess it up for the other residents as they'll all have to pay it when you move in. Currently they don't.

quote:
If you’re a full-time student and you live with someone who’s not a full-time student, in most cases your household will get a Council Tax bill.

That said, there are some circumstances under which you can still get a discount on it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/LifeAtUniversityOrCollege/DG_071488

[Edited on 15-10-2010 by Ian]
RCS

15th Oct 10 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I have read somewhere that you wouldn't have to pay council tax, or get a big discount. Depends on how many full-time students are in the house.
ed

16th Oct 10 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't you just have to pay your share of it? I guess it depends from council to council though, hence the vague information from direct.gov.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Oct 10 at 00:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having a professional in the house generally removes the student status, ergo all remaining students are put in a worse position.
ed

16th Oct 10 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

D'oh!
dannymccann

16th Oct 10 at 05:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there is 1 professional living in a house of students the professional will receive single persons discount until the student status is removed from anyone else. Single Person Discount in Lincolshire is 25% off. Full time students (with proof of this) are not liable for council tax. Telling you this from personal experience
jrsteeve

18th Oct 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, go along with the landlord. You'll have to foot the bill for the whole property less 25% otherwise, unless you love paying tax?
Twiggy

19th Oct 10 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would do it and then if caught say that you pay council tax in with the rent?
ed

19th Oct 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideas like that never work out in the long run. Pleading ignorance is never a get out either, they will just pull out the contract and it will have a section regarding your responsibility for bills and council tax.

New Poll