corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS Speeds vs Speedo

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GPS Speeds vs Speedo
Ash_EP3

User status: Offline
9th Sep 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firstly let me explain I downloaded an app on my phone (speedview) which using GPS tells me how fast I am going - the app is free and I wouldn't have thought for 1 minute it was 100% accurate...

As I've heard a lot on forums that car speedo's are out so I thought I'd test my speedo and I can confirm it was 5% out throughout most of the range 30+....

30 on speedo = 28/29 on gps
31/32 on speedo = 30 on gps
63 on speedo = 60 gps...
130 on speedo = 123 on gps

So roughly 5% ish out throughout the range (not too bad for a 7 year old car...)

Tested this on my bro's (aerox-lad) corsa the other day and that was 10% out.. (66 on speedo = 60 on GPS)

Question is why are car speedo's out so much (is it a calibration issue?)?

That is all
3CorsaMeal

9th Sep 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wonder if tyre wear accounts for anything, i don't know how much tread depth a tyre comes with, but your losing the few mm's twice on the overall diameter of wheel
sand-eel

9th Sep 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By law they have to over read!
sand-eel

9th Sep 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get bigger wheels from the factory spec, the speedo becomes more accurate, I remember in my corsa 205/40/17 tyres at 80mph the GPS was 80mph as well.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gps will be very accurate regardless of how much it cost the equation is still the same
John

9th Sep 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
By law they have to over read!

They can't under read by law, how could you have a law governing somebodys speedo being too accurate.
3CorsaMeal

9th Sep 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so should a cars real mileage be 5% less than whats stated

harrisp

9th Sep 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car speedo seems bang on with gps, on tyres 3" bigger than standard.
Rob R

9th Sep 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I'm doing 80 in my Civic I'm actually going 73, so mines near enough 10% out
pow
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

85 in the MiTo = 80 on the GPS, confirmed by tomtom, garmin and a range of andriod apps
pow
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and the prius is a consistant 10% out
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'l often find there is ecu mph and what you see on the clocks, not sure how it works but usually the mph the ecu registers is more accurate then what you see on the dials
Fro

9th Sep 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
you'l often find there is ecu mph and what you see on the clocks, not sure how it works but usually the mph the ecu registers is more accurate then what you see on the dials

Correct from experience.

My 350z has digi speed and clocks, digi is always higher.
John

9th Sep 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clocks are deliberately out, quite a few of them you can adjust the accuracy, the mileage is probably more accurate than the mph in the same set of clocks.
whitter45

9th Sep 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

95 in the BMW is 89 on GPS

Worst cars for over reading used to be fords in particular the focus
DaveyLC

9th Sep 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

They come from the same signal so why would they be different you dingus.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably because the dials needles are positioned slightly ahead of what the signal provides at a guess
John

9th Sep 10 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's because the dials are programmed to be slightly innacurate, nothing to do with the accuracy of the speed signal.
Nath

9th Sep 10 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
gps will be very accurate regardless of how much it cost the equation is still the same

GPS is only as accurate as the measurement engine in the reciever.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 15:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont even think that matters, it could take 3 readings and regardless of the pin point of the readings themselves, the equation to work out the speed qould still be very accurate, far more then a speedo anyway

or im talking shit, one or the other
Nath

9th Sep 10 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
dont even think that matters, it could take 3 readings and regardless of the pin point of the readings themselves, the equation to work out the speed qould still be very accurate, far more then a speedo anyway

It does. Hence why Car GPS isn't as accurate as Surveying GPS. Car GPS is accurate to a few metres, positional wise, but Surveying GPS is accurate to milimetres, Due to the way its calculated from the satelite signals. It's accurate enough in a car/phone, but not the most accurate. Which is why some car GPS doesnt show your on a sliproad for example, it doesnt exactly know where you are.

[Edited on 09-09-2010 by Nath]
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but if you think about it, it doesnt matter if its only accurate to a few meters as long as the other readings are equally as innaccurate it wouldnt matter

Nath

9th Sep 10 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah but if you think about it, it doesnt matter if its only accurate to a few meters as long as the other readings are equally as innaccurate it wouldnt matter

I dunno, I just know it's not all that accurate. I work with Surveying equipment and had to hear all about how accurate it is in a presentation. Boring
Fro

9th Sep 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

It does. Hence why Car GPS isn't as accurate as Surveying GPS. Car GPS is accurate to a few metres, positional wise, but Surveying GPS is accurate to milimetres, Due to the way its calculated from the satelite signals. It's accurate enough in a car/phone, but not the most accurate. Which is why some car GPS doesnt show your on a sliproad for example, it doesnt exactly know where you are.

[Edited on 09-09-2010 by Nath]

Majority dont count gradients either iirc?
DaveyLC

9th Sep 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
probably because the dials needles are positioned slightly ahead of what the signal provides at a guess

Nothing to do with converting a Digital signal to an Analogue one then?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS Speeds vs Speedo 22 database queries in 0.0978241 seconds