corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS Speeds vs Speedo

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GPS Speeds vs Speedo
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
9th Sep 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i assume my speedo under reads, as when i reach a 40mph zone, the car in front disappears about 5-10mph faster than me, and the car behind sits up my arse like i'm driving too slow.

i make sure i do bang on 40mph
A2H GO

9th Sep 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yeah but if you think about it, it doesnt matter if its only accurate to a few meters as long as the other readings are equally as innaccurate it wouldnt matter

I thought this, as long as the innaccuracy is the same at both ends it should be accurate.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my opinion of nath has gone up in this thread
Nath

9th Sep 10 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
my opinion of nath has gone up in this thread

Means alot to me Steve.

Forgot to add car GPS acquires about 3 satelites. Top end GPS aquires up to 30 from up to 3 different constellations. More satelites = more accuracy.
mwg

9th Sep 10 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i assume my speedo under reads, as when i reach a 40mph zone, the car in front disappears about 5-10mph faster than me, and the car behind sits up my arse like i'm driving too slow.

thats just because your car is slow mate
John

9th Sep 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The innaccuracy speed readings of a normal GPS at car speeds is tiny even though it's not as accurate as some other methods.

The timing GPS systems are even more accurate.

Accurate to about 1/2mph as far as I can see.

[Edited on 09-09-2010 by John]
whitter45

9th Sep 10 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:

thats just because your car is slow mate

Nath

9th Sep 10 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The innaccuracy speed readings of a normal GPS at car speeds is tiny even though it's not as accurate as some other methods.

The timing GPS systems are even more accurate.

Accurate to about 1/2mph as far as I can see.

Yeah I was thinking about that, in relation to timing. I'm not too clued up on that aspect though.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 15:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id like you to teach me about gps nath, and then when iv learnt im going to use it to pin point your house to beat you up
John

9th Sep 10 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's because as Steve said, if it's roughly the same amount out on every reading you still end up with the same speed.

With location if it's out, it's out.
antnee

9th Sep 10 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines +/-1 out Up to 80 anyway, last time I checked higher, it was consistently out (not a %)
pow
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Ibiza was HIDIOUSLY out... it never came to rest at 0mph though
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
By law they have to over read!

Our old Sprinter under read

I found out one day driving down a dual carriageway at 40 and one of those speed signs flashed up saying 45 so I went and picked the satnav up and it was a fairly consistent 10% under. Now our Transit's roughly 10% over
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
9th Sep 10 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Top end GPS aquires up to 30 from up to 3 different constellations. More satelites = more accuracy.
Not really possible as they're not all visible to you at any one time.

Even a cheap 12 channel receiver (which most laptop dongle / phone / TomTom are) will pick up all 12 if they're visible. The difference in accuracy is down to its ability to triangulate at the rate at which it updates the data. At 1Hz, you can't be accurate down to much less than a few metres because everything is moving and you physically don't get the data quick enough.

The solution is to poll the data more often, with better receivers running at 5 or 10Hz. Problem there is the data bandwidth, hence why you don't see Bluetooth receivers running at those sorts of speeds because you have to tokenise the data or lose some of the sentences. But if you can get the data in, you can increase your positional accuracy.

Although speed is a different matter - they are certainly significantly more accurate than a gearbox driven speedo - which is also quite deliberately calibrated to over-read in order that you never accidently speed. And I'm referring there to the ability of the equipment to consistently display accurate readings, not whether the equipment is configured to do so, which is a related but fundementally different question. The gearbox speed is essentially the more accurate apperatus - particularly if you can overlook issues such as tyre flex - as you can't really negotiate the facts. Engine speed x gears x tyre size = road speed. Whereas GPS speed is a calculation based on latent data.

Depends what you need really.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Sep 10 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
if it's roughly the same amount out on every reading you still end up with the same speed.
Not identically, the data in has different margins of error based on your position so you re-calculate at every sample. Although yes, it's not large enough to worry.
Chris
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GPS speed is knots, with a convert to MPH

Also the hills will effect the speed figure from gps as it asumes a flat surface.
John

9th Sep 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's whatever speed the application calculates surely, where does knots come from?

Don't see how a hill would affect it either, you've still travelled the same distance forward, no matter how much you've ascended or descended in that time

Not sure how 'GPS' assumes a flat surface either actually, altitude can be calculated, although not normally very accurately with your bog standard receiver in my experience.

Ian
Site Administrator

9th Sep 10 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speed is the difference in your position between the two points at which you sampled your position. So yes, your altitude does matter, but it is calculated in three dimensions and is factored in.

If you drove 100m forward on flat surface in 10 seconds you would have travelled 10m/s

If you drove 100m according to an aerial view of the car but down a 1 in 4 hill you've in fact described the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle with 100m as one side and 25m as the other, which is just over 103m, ie. in the same 10 seconds you've travelled further ie. gone faster.

Obviously you also have a change in lateral coordinates unless you're either heading dead north or dead west (an even then earth curvature usually means you still do) and these are always in ther calculation even if they don't contribute much to the triangle.

Knots come from the fact that the NMEA sentences contain them and you convert to the user preference in software.
ed

9th Sep 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a pretty decent GPS to get altitude properly:

On phone GPS's you get crazy readings on hills. I tried out Trails on my iPhone when skiing, I gave up when it said I was going at 600mph..
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 10 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prove that you werent going 600mph
ed

9th Sep 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 09-09-2010 by ed]
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Sep 10 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need that in three dimensions ed
AlexW

9th Sep 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i wonder if tyre wear accounts for anything, i don't know how much tread depth a tyre comes with, but your losing the few mm's twice on the overall diameter of wheel

From what ive seen yes, our van speedo is fairly accurate on new tyres, and gradually starts overreading as the tyres wear. Mind you, the tread is fairly deep on those tyres.

Also, its not about the size of the wheels, its the rolling radius, so if you had some 13inch wheels with massive tyres and then fitted 15inch wheels with tiny sidewall tyres, (Just an example, ive no idea if they are the same) then the rolling radius would stay similar and cause the speedo to read the same as it did on the 13s.
ed

9th Sep 10 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C is the distance you've travelled, A is the descent and B would be the distance your GPS would see and work out your velocity from. That's the way I see it?
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Sep 10 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That assumes the absence of lateral adjustment.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS Speeds vs Speedo 22 database queries in 0.0151281 seconds