corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Atlantis Blue 5 Door *Sold :(*

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16    17    18  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Atlantis Blue 5 Door *Sold :(*
D0NN3R

User status: Offline
18th Sep 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good mate really clean
How much did you pay for your wing mirrors if you dont mind me asking
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Sep 12 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got them from a scrappy just down the road that wanted £10 per mirror but as I'd already got a few other bits there they let me have one for free.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New centre caps:

MX5 Project Thread
Benjimusprime

21st Jan 13 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did you get the door strip off mate ive got a 5 door want do it but scared the paint might come off with it
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st Jan 13 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heated them up gently with a heatgun to soften the glue, being careful not to damage the paint with the heat. Then gently peeled them off using an old bank card to slice through the glue. Once they're off it takes a lot of elbow grease to remove the remaining glue. Bit of petrol on a rag or some 'sticky stuff remover' from Halfords helps. Then a polish up and job done. If you find you get white hazy streaks try going over them gently with a heatgun as it's just condensation under the paint.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Apr 13 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was fed up of doing work so decided I'd get my Irmy backbox fitted today. Didn't quite go to plan though unfortunately.

Started off by giving it a quick polish.

Then went to remove the old clamp and it was rusted to shit. Got it off but then realised the real extent of the rust. The centre section and backbox have welded themselves together and the rust has gone straight through both; found out by putting a hole through them lol.

So I need to get a new centre section before I can pop the new backbox on. Oh well, had a quick look on eBay and I can get a new one for about £15 so not the end of the world.

More annoying that I have to take more time out to get it fitted.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Apr 13 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, after a pleasant experience with Yodel for a change, I had a new centre section.

Got it from eurocarparts outlet on eBay, £15.44 brand new delivered!

Took fooking ages to get the old centre section and backbox off. Ended up taking a grinder to the centre section to separate it from the backbox, using a makeshift shield between the grinder and fuel tank.

Then it required lots of brute force and plusgas to separate the centre section from the cat.

All done in the end after 2 and a half hours of two of us on it, but got the new centre section and Irmy backbox on

Just a quick before and after, will get better pics another time:

MX5 Project Thread
D0NN3R

12th Apr 13 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice you dont see many of then about
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Apr 13 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, took a long time to get hold of this. Ended up getting it from Germany.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Apr 13 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the state of the old exhaust. This is the join between the backbox and the centre section, completely fused together:

And after I grinded through them:

Had to remove the backbox today to properly clamp it up to the centre section, as I forgot to buy an extra clamp when I initially put it on. Was pouring with rain and I got soaked through rolling around on the floor, but got some paste and a new clamp on and it's all sealed Does anyone know if scrap metal merchants take exhausts?

Another quick pic, don't think the car's been washed in over half a year:

MX5 Project Thread
Dr.Corsa

21st Apr 13 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi!

I love 5 door Corsas! Nice car!

Your Irmscher Wheels: 14 or 15"?

Greeting,
Micha
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st Apr 13 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks

The wheels are 14".

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

22nd Apr 13 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't managed to properly seal the centre section/cat joint or the centre section/backbox joint. The backbox joint is a bit rattly too but I don't have the time to sort it myself at the moment so will probably take it to a garage to fix.

Got some powerflex bushes on order for the backbox as it bounces around a lot and is very close to the rear bumper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330909637085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Any ideas what sort of price a garage may charge for resealing the joints?

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 13 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took it to a garage to get the exhaust sealed up properly. Fitted powerflex bushes so the back box doesn't sit right up against the bumper like before. But the clamp around the backbox/centre section joint is now hitting the rear beam about 50 times a second!

Here's a load of pictures from different views of the centre section, clamp, rear beam and handbrake cable clashing:

Seems like it could come out more:

Here's the cat/centre section joint:

Do you reckon pulling that joint apart a bit will do the job? I've bought some slightly shorter poly bushes for the centre section to help raise it up a bit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151017749729?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

MX5 Project Thread
tom130691
Premium Member

25th Apr 13 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine rattles too never got round to to fixing it

seen people use bits of bike tyre ect to stop the noise,

nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 13 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is only a very slight rattle just past 3000rpm but that's not the issue.

It's a constant banging of the clamp on the rear beam, even when going on a relatively smooth flat road. That's how close they are together. The centre section kink that's designed to go around the rear beam seems too far forward, so my thoughts are to loosen the centre section/cat joint in the last pic, and knock the centre section towards the back of the car and then do it back up.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd May 13 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a couple of things done today.

Just a small thing, but years ago I started colour coding the inner grill bits when I was bored. Never finished them, never wanted to. Looks shite.

So finally got round to replacing them for standard ones.

Cable tied some old Vectra rubber floor mat to the rear beam and it's stopped the noise.

Bought some short powerflex bushes for the centre section to raise the system up a bit.

Fitted them and it's raised the whole system up nicely. The clamp that was hitting the rear beam is now about an inch higher.

Picked up an early punto rear wiper from the scrappy for a few quid to see if it would work on a 5 door as I've only ever seen them on 3 doors. Works on the 5 door boot shape nicely

Also fancied a change and put my old euro plates back on.

[Edited on 02-05-2013 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
tom130691
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 16:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to rubber up my axle just never get round to it been rattling for about a year
wiper realy suits the 5door
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
i need to rubber up my axle just never get round to it been rattling for about a year
wiper realy suits the 5door

Yeah it was really really bade, but is silent now, just because of that bit of rubber to cushion it.

Yeah it looks alright, better than I was expecting actually.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

9th May 13 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody eurocarparts and their excessive packaging, all I ordered was some engine oil and a filter!

New backbox bushes came today too:

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still haven't got round to putting the new backbox rubbers on to raise the exhaust up. Exhaust seems to have settled in now though and I love the sound of it, really nice subtle burble

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th May 13 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th May 13 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jun 13 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New exhaust bushes are on so the backbox sits a bit closer to the bumper. The backbox/centre section joint still isn't right though. The OD of the centre section doesn't match the ID of the backbox, so once warmed up a bit and the silicon seal gets more flex, it rattles and resonates at certain rpms. Really annoying me.

Planning on popping to a local exhaust centre tomorrow who do Powerflow systems to see if they can finally sort it out, will get a quote for a custom centre section while I'm there too.

Lowered the front from 40mm to 60mm springs today and put on 4 new Irmscher centre caps, all preparation for PVS. Still got a lot more to do this week!

MX5 Project Thread
kevinturna

3rd Jun 13 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good mate! Keep up the good work!

<<  13    14    15    16    17    18  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Atlantis Blue 5 Door *Sold :(* 24 database queries in 0.0285008 seconds