corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help with X14XE/X16XE Conversion ..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with X14XE/X16XE Conversion ..
ash-ov-boro

User status: Offline
31st Jul 10 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have recently bought a corsa sport its a 1.4 sport X14XE on the log book but the lad said it was a 1.6 sport X16XE had been fited to it recently so anyways i bought the car not really botherd if it is the 1.4 sport engine its got to be better than my 1.0 12v i would like it to be a 1.6 sport engine but either way £150 for the full car engine wont of cost £150 once i sell all the bits and pieces i dont want like seats ect: come with a wide ass body kit on it so that will get sold on ebay too as i know people in here wont want it and i certainly dont

so i was wanting to know how hard it will be to swap the engine from a 1.0 12v R-Reg to a 1.4 X14XE / 1.6 X16XE ive got 2 mates who are willing to help one used to own a garrage and knows a fair bit but not done vauxhall's and another mate who knows alot & has all the tools & equipment needed

what will i have to swap with the engines i know i will have to swap the brakes over do i need to swap the rear drums over as they look no differnt but they might be i suppose the fuel pump will need swapping.. its got rear coilovers on the sport i bought and has lowering springs on the front thats what i know of up to now.. dont know what mm the fronts or the rears are yet havnt got them off the radiator & fan will need swapping i know that

does anyone know about a guide i could use to do this conversion or is there any online free haynes manuals ?

how hard is it do i need to do anything to the wiring loom off the sport to go onto the 1.0 12v if so what should i do.. one of my mates recon he could get it all done in a day if he had a guide to follow im going to search through the project section but if anyone could post a link or anything that ma help up in here i would apreachiate it
JaffaTB

31st Jul 10 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure but i think you need to change the dash loom as its different, shaunmods did the same conversion, check out his project thread
Linch

31st Jul 10 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can pull all the wires through from under the dash the dash and make your own loom, using the plug off the sport.
ash-ov-boro

31st Jul 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone ?
shaunmods
Premium Member

31st Jul 10 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said I've done this conversion on mine If you've got a 1.6 sport donor car you will have everything you need to get it running in your 12v shell. The wiring is probably the most tedious part. What spec is your 12v, does it have EPAS? If so you will have to modify your existing dash loom in order to keep it. But if you've got a basic spec like mine without EPAS you can just change the dash loom for a plug and play one. I used a dash loom from 1.2 8v LS in mine as it was nice and basic. In terms of mounting the engine you'll just need to change the drivers side from mount as this is different on the 12v. Other things that you will need to change include the radiator, hoses, drive shafts, full exhaust system as its a larger bore, and dials.

Might be worth having a looky at my project mate. all the problems etc I've had are in there so it should be helpful
ash-ov-boro

31st Jul 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks shaun mate some usefull info is it all in your project thread how you done it?? ifso could you link me to the crec pagesas theres like 40 pages or more
shaunmods
Premium Member

31st Jul 10 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol here you go mate. Hope its of some help to you If you have any problems when your doing it just drop me a u2u

http://corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=385792
ash-ov-boro

31st Jul 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers shaun i will end up u2u'ing you aswell not doing the conversion till september so will be u2u'ing you sometime then just trying to find as much info as i can to do it
ash-ov-boro

31st Jul 10 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers shaun i will end up u2u'ing you aswell not doing the conversion till september so will be u2u'ing you sometime then just trying to find as much info as i can to do it
ash-ov-boro

1st Aug 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my shell is a 1.0 12v breeze it has EPAS will a 1.2 8v dash loom work for me? i read your project thread last night shaunmods it was that good of a read i was still up at 5am reading it and im going to do my engine like you done yours nearly everthing new im going to paint my block up once its out as i have a month or so till my next MOT then it will be going in

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
As said I've done this conversion on mine If you've got a 1.6 sport donor car you will have everything you need to get it running in your 12v shell. The wiring is probably the most tedious part. What spec is your 12v, does it have EPAS? If so you will have to modify your existing dash loom in order to keep it. But if you've got a basic spec like mine without EPAS you can just change the dash loom for a plug and play one. I used a dash loom from 1.2 8v LS in mine as it was nice and basic. In terms of mounting the engine you'll just need to change the drivers side from mount as this is different on the 12v. Other things that you will need to change include the radiator, hoses, drive shafts, full exhaust system as its a larger bore, and dials.

Might be worth having a looky at my project mate. all the problems etc I've had are in there so it should be helpful
shaunmods
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash-ov-boro
my shell is a 1.0 12v breeze it has EPAS will a 1.2 8v dash loom work for me? i read your project thread last night shaunmods it was that good of a read i was still up at 5am reading it and im going to do my engine like you done yours nearly everthing new im going to paint my block up once its out as i have a month or so till my next MOT then it will be going in

Ahh this is where it gets a bit trickier then mate. If you want to keep your EPAS you will have to modify your existing loom as only the 1.0 12v's and 1.2 16v's came with EPAS, both of which use the different looms so an 8v one wouldn't work

If you didn't want to do that your other option would be to convert it to normal belt driven PAS. I did this on mine. Once you've got the engine out its not that hard at all to change. The only thing is I have a feeling that the columns may be different on the EPAS models I can't say for certain though. Hopefully someone else may know for definite.

Also heres a link which gives more info on modifying the dash loom for the 1.6 16v conversion

http://web.archive.org/web/20060822043934/http://www.smallblockxe.com/1_2-1_6_con.htm
ash-ov-boro

2nd Aug 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks again shaun you have been a great help i can borrow a mates engine hoist so engine will be out tomorrow and i will give it a good clean new gaskets ect: then i will go buy a haynes manual from halfrauds and give it a go in september not long to wait now im sick of the 1.0 12v lol it sounds like a tractor the timing chain on the 12v's are noisy as fu*k
ash-ov-boro

4th Aug 10 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went down there today and took the dash out and unplugged all the dash loom so a think thats ready to come out .. now which way should i disconect the dash loom from do i pull it through the car or do i pull it through to the engine
>>this is on the corsa sport<<

my mate broke the cap off the ignition hope i can just get a replacement for it will any cap from a corsa fit ? if so i will go down the breakers or just end up using the one off the x10xe
ash-ov-boro

5th Aug 10 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres 2 differnt haynes manuals when i went in halfrauds today which one do i need one of the corsa's ive got is R-Reg 97-98 other is N-Reg 96 or do i need both manuals
JaffaTB

5th Aug 10 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What reg is your car? And what reg was the doner car?
shaunmods
Premium Member

5th Aug 10 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
went down there today and took the dash out and unplugged all the dash loom so a think thats ready to come out .. now which way should i disconect the dash loom from do i pull it through the car or do i pull it through to the engine

Once the dash loom is disconnected from the ECU you can just pull it out through the car mate. As for the 1.6 engine loom, you need to remove the ECU then pull it out through the engine bay
ash-ov-boro

5th Aug 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JaffaTB
What reg is your car? And what reg was the doner car?

the car what im am breaking is the sport its (N-Reg 1996)

the car what the engine is going in is (R-Reg 1997)
ash-ov-boro

5th Aug 10 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
quote:

Once the dash loom is disconnected from the ECU you can just pull it out through the car mate. As for the 1.6 engine loom, you need to remove the ECU then pull it out through the engine bay

Thanks again shaun i will go try soon to get the dash loom out..
ive just bought an engine crane from a friend of a friend as the one i borrowed was old school so i just bought the one ma mates mate wanted rid of for £35 so im happy with that
ash-ov-boro

5th Aug 10 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right had a go a getting the dash loom out the only thing that is keeping it in now is the big bundle of wires that go through the rubber gromet in between the clutch pedal & the brake pedal
john_c20xe

5th Aug 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

them wires behind the pedals go to the indicators if i remember
ash-ov-boro

5th Aug 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john_c20xe
them wires behind the pedals go to the indicators if i remember

honestly john theres loads of wires i think the wiring for indicators are in the passengers foot well cheers buddy..

[Edited on 05-08-2010 by ash-ov-boro]
shaunmods
Premium Member

5th Aug 10 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
right had a go a getting the dash loom out the only thing that is keeping it in now is the big bundle of wires that go through the rubber gromet in between the clutch pedal & the brake pedal

Push the rubber grommet thing out with the wiring mate You'll need it when you put it in your car as its blanked off in the 1.0 shells.
ash-ov-boro

5th Aug 10 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kk cheers mate i probaly woulld have shot it away lol you mean keep the rubber gromet ?... which side should i pust it through into interor or engine bay
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Aug 10 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry mate I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Do you mean the part of the dash loom that goes through into the engine bay under the scuttle panel for the side repeaters etc?

If so just pull prise the grommet out with the loom Its a lot easier than trying to pull all those wires through it and you know its in the right place then when you go to put in into your other shell. But yeah once you've unplugged that grommet pull all the wiring through into the inside of the car so you can get it out that way.

[Edited on 06-08-2010 by shaunmods]
ash-ov-boro

6th Aug 10 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will have another go at it tomorrow as it pissed down today got both the haynes manuals from the libary now so going to have a good read through them

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll