corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » House needs a rewire.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author House needs a rewire.
Terry12

User status: Offline
28th Jul 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The house i'm looking at buying is in desperate need of a rewire and is in my eyes dangerous at the minute.

How much roughly is it if done by a qualified sparky?
A mate of my wife is an ex sparky and offered to do the full lot for £500 but we'd need to get the work checked and certified, Will a qualified sparky do that?
stubs

28th Jul 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah some will check and certify work done DIY, or by someone ex-qualified. Not sure how much they will charge for it though.
adiohead

28th Jul 10 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd use that quote and ask a qualified sparky to match it.
Terry12

28th Jul 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt i'd get a a qualified sparky to match the £500. The house is really poorly wired. There is junction boxes on view, Cabling fixed to the walls with no protective conduit. It is the worst i've ever seen.
adiohead

28th Jul 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ignore me, I didn't realise the costs.

this might help though:
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140487

[Edited on 28-07-2010 by adiohead]
_Allan_

28th Jul 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£500 is a good price. Decent rewires can cost between £750 - £2500. Depends on your location etc... Another Part P spark will certify it for about £100-£200 although you might have to ring around. Some are funny about signing off someone elses work.
Terry12

28th Jul 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
£500 is a good price. Decent rewires can cost between £750 - £2500. Depends on your location etc... Another Part P spark will certify it for about £100-£200 although you might have to ring around. Some are funny about signing off someone elses work.

Yes i did think most sparkys would not want to certify other peoples work. If this house was to have it done by a qualified electrician i'm in no doubt it'd be arund the £2k mark. There's loads of wiring that need channeling into the walls, Plugs sockets and jucntion boxes that need removing.

The £500 quote is with us supplying everything need like junction box if required, cabling and switches etc, He'll do channel all the walls etc.
Terry12

28th Jul 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
ignore me, I didn't realise the costs.

this might help though:
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140487

[Edited on 28-07-2010 by adiohead]

Cheers bud. Seems that yanni guy had all kinds of problems getting his work certified.
This is where i'm a little confused, As it is a basic rewire and nothing to do with any building work do the council need to get involved?

My cousin is a joiner so i'm sure he knows a sparky that will certify it for me.
Rob_Quads

28th Jul 10 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
Yeah some will check and certify work done DIY, or by someone ex-qualified. Not sure how much they will charge for it though.

The only people that should certify someone elses work is an inspector organised by the local building control.
Part P Electricians are only allowed to certify there own work, they should not sign off someone elses (although some do as its easy money)
Terry12

28th Jul 10 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by stubs

The only people that should certify someone elses work is an inspector organised by the local building control.
Part P Electricians are only allowed to certify there own work, they should not sign off someone elses (although some do as its easy money)

So if an electrician certifies a rewire he is claiming the work was done by himself?
Do i have to contact the building control before undertaking the rewire?
ash_corsa

28th Jul 10 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Building control dont need to know as long as a qualified electrician with self certification is carrying out the work. Thats what part P covers. Its basically building regulations for electricians, an NICEIC, ELECSA etc.. electrician doesnt need to notify building control of any work.

However if you get some ex-spark, handyman etc.. to do the work you will need to tell building control, they need to arrange site visits etc.. you have to pay for this by the way.

Im a qualified electrician, and my advice would be to use a local reputable firm to carry out the work, the whole job is then guaranteed.

Also, how can anyone comment on the price of a re-wire without knowing the size of the house, the layout, wall/floor construction, how much mess can be made, quality of fittings etc...

Rob_Quads

28th Jul 10 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ash says. Get some quotes in from pros as it could end up costing a lot of money if you get a handyman to do it and then it fails checks.
Terry12

28th Jul 10 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
Building control dont need to know as long as a qualified electrician with self certification is carrying out the work. Thats what part P covers. Its basically building regulations for electricians, an NICEIC, ELECSA etc.. electrician doesnt need to notify building control of any work.

However if you get some ex-spark, handyman etc.. to do the work you will need to tell building control, they need to arrange site visits etc.. you have to pay for this by the way.

Im a qualified electrician, and my advice would be to use a local reputable firm to carry out the work, the whole job is then guaranteed.

Also, how can anyone comment on the price of a re-wire without knowing the size of the house, the layout, wall/floor construction, how much mess can be made, quality of fittings etc...

It's a good friend of the wife, £500 is more than he earns in a week now and is happy to help out a mate.
She has described the house to him and how poor the wiring is.
He's rewired his own home and got his ex boss to certify it, not legal but works.
ash_corsa

28th Jul 10 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, just be careful when it comes to the signing off, It needs to be thoroughly tested by the person signing it off.

Anything wrong could affect selling the house later on, house insurance claims etc..
Limecat
Banned

28th Jul 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Terry, if you struggle I have a few friends that are sparkies who would probably do it as a foreigner! (Rewire, don't know if they would sign off someone elses work?)
Rob_Quads

29th Jul 10 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't take this the wrong way but why is he an ex-sparky? Also how long is it since he was a sparky as the rules are always changing. As a DIYer I try and keep and eye on all the xth Edition changes but there are quite a lot of them, some which he may not be aware of and which result in the inspection then failing.

If it was a small bit of work then fair enough getting an ex-sparky you may well get away with it but for a full re-wire I would go with a pro.

If you do go with the 'friend' make sure you let the council know BEFORE you start work i.e. you need to give them notice (i think its the same even if the work is just electrics)
ash_corsa

29th Jul 10 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob speaks the truth!
Terry12

1st Aug 10 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the regs are always changing so if and when he undertakes the jobs I will make sure he asks his ex boss who is still a sparky to get him up to date with new regs etc.

He rewired his own house with no problems.

Wayne, Any ideas how much they'd roughly want for a rewire?
Terry12

1st Aug 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Don't take this the wrong way but why is he an ex-sparky? Also how long is it since he was a sparky as the rules are always changing. As a DIYer I try and keep and eye on all the xth Edition changes but there are quite a lot of them, some which he may not be aware of and which result in the inspection then failing.

If it was a small bit of work then fair enough getting an ex-sparky you may well get away with it but for a full re-wire I would go with a pro.

If you do go with the 'friend' make sure you let the council know BEFORE you start work i.e. you need to give them notice (i think its the same even if the work is just electrics)

As far as i'm aware he lost interest in the job, Doesn't mean he can't do the job well though.
I'll obviously have a chat with him before he undertakes the work, I'd need to chat with him anyway to show him what I want doing.
ash_corsa

2nd Aug 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The latest regs arent a huge amount different, ive just done my update course.

The main difference is pretty much everything needs to be protected by an RCD now.
Up stairs lights and down stairs power need to be on one RCD, and the Down stairs lights and upstairs power need to be on the other, (unless using RCBO's but this is expensive) must fit mains smoke detectors, anything in a kitchen or bathroom needs RCD protection.

Id imagine he's pretty competent and knows what hes doing, just keep an eye on the work and make sure its to a high standard.

[Edited on 02-08-2010 by ash_corsa]
Terry12

3rd Aug 10 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ash,
Can all the RCD's go back to the main fuse box or do these all need to be inline of each circuit?

So I have to fit smoke detectors?
Terry12

9th Aug 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I right in thinking any electrical work undertaken needs to be certified now?
Even if it isn't required by the mortgage company?
mattk

9th Aug 10 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, all electrical work needs to be signed off, and yes you need smoke detectors, you also need an extractor fan in any room classed as a utility room
Terry12

9th Aug 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is classed as a utility room Matt. Does the bathroom need an extractor fan. There's already one above the hob in the kitchen.
Rob_Quads

9th Aug 10 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
yeah, all electrical work needs to be signed off, and yes you need smoke detectors, you also need an extractor fan in any room classed as a utility room

All electrical work does not need to be signed off. There is still a fair bit that you can complete which notification/certification is not required

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll