corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Polybushes *Update: New Question*

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polybushes *Update: New Question*
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Jul 10 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After spending a good few hours today removing one of my tie bar mount bushes and then attempting to replace it with a polybush, I'm officially stuck

Basically after trying numerous ways of removing the bush I ended on the melt the rubber and smash it out with a hammer and socket approach (I was somewhat wound up by this point ) Now I'm really struggling to see how the replacement fits.

The poly bush is in 2 parts which would indicate that each part gets pushed in from opposite sides but I expected a snug fit with the wider 'lip' to sit against the outside of the mount but that's not the case so here's what I have upto now...

Thjis is how I expected it to fit, with the wider lip sat against the mount

But when placed in like that, it's completely loose, like so.

So can someone please tell me how it's supposed to work? I'm baffled and need my car on Monday so any help is much appreciated

[Edited on 18-07-2010 by Mike B]

SportBoy

17th Jul 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most if not all of the front tiebar mount kits ive seen are for the pre 97 corsas .. id be faily sure in saying thats why they dont fit properly ... one of the reasons ive never done them on my car.

[Edited on 17-07-2010 by SportBoy]
Mike
Premium Member

17th Jul 10 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shithouse

Now I've gotta try and get the originals back in This one already had play in it too

Edit: Is that just the tie bar bushes then or are the TCA's different too?

[Edited on 17-07-2010 by Mike B]
Sean-B

18th Jul 10 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the part that the bush goes into is the same pre/post but the actual tie bar is different (closer hole spacing on the pre97 stuff.

To remove/fit mine i used a press at work made it sooo much easier! Kwik fit will have one you could use.
Mike
Premium Member

18th Jul 10 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After looking on Powerflex website, they do 2 different tie bar bushes, one for pre, one for post, looks like I'll have to get them and do the job again when they turn up. I've now got one less weekend to sort them before TVL too
scottyp1989

18th Jul 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not got a hacksaw? just cut a bit off the bush untill it fits
Mike
Premium Member

18th Jul 10 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bush is already too small, the only way I'd get a tight fit is if the wider lip sat into the mount, but if it could be slid in, surely it could slide out just the same once it's bearing the usual stresses of a suspension bush?
Mike
Premium Member

18th Jul 10 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: Went to the scrappies earlier and bought another mount to save having to get the original bush back in. Whilst I was there I noticed there was a pre-97 in so had a little compare, the bushes were obviously different but all the bolt holes looked to be the same so can anyone confirm if the pre and post tie bar mounts could be interchangeable? If so I can pick up the 2 off the other Corsa they had in for £3 each which would still work out cheaper than the powerflex bushes
Adam-D

18th Jul 10 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mike i have my poly bush'd tie bars for sale.

all done ready to go
Jamxe

18th Jul 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a set of bushes I must fit to my corsa sport(1999) I ordered a full set from Jamsport and they sent me two types for the front tie bar.. One set are small bushes that are in two halfs like what you have and the other set are larger, one piece ones that need to be pressed in.. This is what I plan on fitting to mine when I get around to it..I reckon this is what you need.. It even says on the Powerflex website that there are two product numbers listed..

(PFF80-203) Front Tie Bar To Chassis

(PFF80-204) Front Tie Bar To Chassis
Suits later vehicles (Chassis No. V3023598 on) fitted with 58mm diameter mount
Mike
Premium Member

18th Jul 10 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's what I spotted last night. Just need to find out if the pre 97 mounts can fit on mine, if so I know they're available and I could get the bushes in so they're ready to swap straight onto the car at the weekend when I'll hopefully be able to sort the others too. If I can do that it saves having to fart about trying to get money back off Rallydesign for the bushes I've got, plus it'll be cheaper than getting the bushes from Powerflex

Adam-D

19th Jul 10 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the offer is there
stuartfry

20th Jul 10 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to buy these mate

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Front+Tie+Bar+To+Chassis/440.html

this is what i had to do as there the only company iv found that make them for the 58mm didnt know about jamsport ones. but bare in mind you will need your wheels re alighned after there all fitted.
stuartfry

20th Jul 10 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after doing mine myself i think its better if a good company who deals with them fit them as you can go back to them if your not happy torque of the devil did my mates and hes had no probs iv had loads
scunnylad

21st Jul 10 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Update: Went to the scrappies earlier and bought another mount to save having to get the original bush back in. Whilst I was there I noticed there was a pre-97 in so had a little compare, the bushes were obviously different but all the bolt holes looked to be the same so can anyone confirm if the pre and post tie bar mounts could be interchangeable? If so I can pick up the 2 off the other Corsa they had in for £3 each which would still work out cheaper than the powerflex bushes

i wouldn't think they was interchangable the end s dont fit the opposite tiebars, if you was to change the tie bar itself you would need new bottom arms and balljoints as the 2 holes what connects the bottom arms to the tie bar are differently spaced. i found that out the hard way when i bought new bottom arms
Mike
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 08:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that mate, looks like the tie bar mounts will have to wait till I can afford Powerflex prices then
broster
Premium Member

5th Aug 10 at 16:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with the front tie bar bushes i advise people get genuine vauxhall tie bar brackets and std bushes off the later face lift cars, they are actually alot better than the powerflex bush.

the powerflex ones have alot of movement in them and can pull thru
Cossie

5th Aug 10 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can confirm this as happen to me the front powerflex bushes of the later corsa chassis have a lot of movment every time I used breaks from hi speed or turning I could hear a clunk. You can use the early chassis bracket with powerflex bush or original vaux item ! i contact powerflex about the problem and too many excuses not to admit they design it worng !!

see youself how bush is flex

[Edited on 05-08-2010 by Cossie]
Jamxe

5th Aug 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cossie
I can confirm this as happen to me the front powerflex bushes of the later corsa chassis have a lot of movment every time I used breaks from hi speed or turning I could hear a clunk. You can use the early chassis bracket with powerflex bush or original vaux item ! i contact powerflex about the problem and too many excuses not to admit they design it worng !!

see youself how bush is flex

[Edited on 05-08-2010 by Cossie]

Did you not get the mounting plate for the front?? Like the one behind the bracket but it goes on the front to sort of sandwich it in?
Adam-D

6th Aug 10 at 06:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres plate missing..

i have a full set for sale..
and mine have the plate
Cossie

6th Aug 10 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeap had the large washer at the front useless !
Jamxe

6th Aug 10 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cossie
yeap had the large washer at the front useless !

How come it ain't in the pic mate
Cossie

7th Aug 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pic was with washer removed

New Poll