corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » engine differences

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author engine differences
jamjar15

User status: Offline
26th Feb 10 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got an x16 in mine atm but head gaskets going, it wont idle properly, alternators not charging properly, it wont rev any higher than 4.5k and a couple more things is wrong with it, so i decided to put a new engine in, been offerered a gsi engine locally and just wanted to know what differences there are between them including the loom differences and ecu. my x16xe has power steering, air con and is ecotec and im not sure what a gsi came with or if it had the secondary air injection. also what is the emission difference between them for the mot. cheers, kin
Root

26th Feb 10 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

change the head gasket, ICV and then investigate if it's aux belt slipping or alternator not charging and replace.

btw, I assume you mean you have a x16xe? Well the gsi engine comes in two forms: x16xe and c16xe, they are basically identical so you won't have to do anything/much with the loom at all. But you may need to swap the ecu/key chip/transponder if you are buying the c16xe.

dunno about air con, never had it, same with PAS.

emissions may vary due to things like how the new engine has been looked after and wear and tear etc but generally, they should be the same.
dean101287

26th Feb 10 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can just put the c16xe block and head in and use all the x16xe gear (manifolds, sensors ect..)
jamjar15

27th Feb 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, i know what i need to do to fix my car but it ends up being more expensive than replacing the engine, and i've already changed the alternator belt, icv, crank sensor and timing belt in the last two weeks and i priced up doing the headgasket properly and its about £110 and theres a gsi engine locally for £100 but comes without a gearbox, but im pretty sure i can use my one, but correct me if im wrong. also are the timing belts the same on both c16xe and x16xe because i have a spare one for my engine
Root

27th Feb 10 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamjar15
cheers guys, i know what i need to do to fix my car but it ends up being more expensive than replacing the engine, and i've already changed the alternator belt, icv, crank sensor and timing belt in the last two weeks and i priced up doing the headgasket properly and its about £110 and theres a gsi engine locally for £100 but comes without a gearbox, but im pretty sure i can use my one, but correct me if im wrong. also are the timing belts the same on both c16xe and x16xe because i have a spare one for my engine

yer but tbh, with your engine, you know where it's been and what's happened to it, with a new one, you could discover you spend on a fortune on it a week after fitting it.

Just price it up and consider replacing parts instead of swapping engine, it's also a big job, and make sure you know where the engines come from and if it's been abused if you do choose to get a new un
Root

27th Feb 10 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also btw, the x16xe and c16xe are almost identical. You'll find that most parts are exactly the same.
The gearbox will most definitely be the same. Should be an F15 on that engine.

[Edited on 27-02-2010 by Root]
jamjar15

27th Feb 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought so, thing is, i know my engines been abused and have no idea what the milage is because its got the wrong clocks in the car and if i spent another 100 to do the head gasket its still gotta have another 88 to get it out of limp mode and have the idle control valve re-programmed by vauxhall which wont definately sort it, and i know the gsi engine hasn't had as much as a hard life as my one because i've been told by previous owners of my car that they abused the sheet out of it and it had about 100,00 miles on it when they had it 2 owners and 4 years ago . i've havn't just decided to give up and chuck another engine in it, thats why i've had a go at fixing as much as i can regardless of the cost. and now it just makes alot more sense to start with a new engine and either use my ecu after vaux do there thing or the gsi ecu if that isnt going to work.

another thing is i've been told gsi's ecu's arent as electronically technical as the newer x16xe's and i may be able to use my key / remote start, and if its really not worth fixing/ putting a new engine in im just gonna have to sell cheaply as spares / repairs and put the engine in my civic which i know works but was a project which i was planning for to be completed by about may because im in the middle of a turbo conversion

[Edited on 27-02-2010 by jamjar15]
Root

27th Feb 10 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100 to do an headgasket mate? Unbolt the exhaust manifold from where it connects to the exhaust and not the engine then that'll save you a gasket. Undo the inlet manifold (a bastard to undo the bottom bolts), then take the head off, whip a new gasket and head bolts on) (probably £30 most).

If you do it yourself, make sure to get an extension socket set, 6" and 12", and crack on with it, save yourself lots of money compared to giving it to a garage mate.

best of luck, xxxx

yer, the ECU won't be identical because there is about 4bhp difference and also the heads are different iirc. Anyway, best of luck
jamjar15

28th Feb 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did a punto's two or three days ago and changed the head gasket, head bolts, thermostat, oil, oil filter and had it skimmed, but im going to need a new water pump aswell because pretty sure mines on its way out. n i never said there ecu's are identical, i said i've been told it may work on my ecu and if not i'll use a gsi's

n e way, cheers for the info so far
AlexW

28th Feb 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not everything is identical.

To fit a C16 into your car you would need the C16XE ECU and loom. Belive the airbox is different too.

Gearbox will be the same, PAS/AC you can just use the stuff off the X16.

The loom into the car/dash loom might not be identical (Never done it myself).

Even if it is different ^ its about 7wires.
jamjar15

1st Mar 10 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im gonna give the the x16xe loom a go unless it definately wont plug into the c16xe ecu. really dont want to change the loom because i've had an aftermarket alarm fitted and it'll cost another 200 to get it done again. i'll try pluggin in the ecu before i do anything to the engine but definatley need to do something because the sump is full of custard
AlexW

1st Mar 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The C16XE/X16XE ECU plugs are different, for a start a X16 has imobliser stuff, C16 dont have imobliser, insted has AFM.

You could fit your X16 loom/ecu onto the C16, your need to change things like the intake pipe, TB (ICV/TPS), lambda.

From memory thats all.

[Edited on 01-03-2010 by AW06]
jamjar15

1st Mar 10 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, and another reason i wanted to change the ecu whilst doing the engine is my one is currently in limp mode and vaux want about £42 to put it back to normal, also one of the reasons i was changin the engine was because some to do with the revs has a problem which i'll have to go to vauxhall to be fixed, changed the icv because mine wasn't working but i need the new one to be reprogrammed which costs another £42. it would be soo much easier and cheaper if i could just find another x16xe to go in so i wouldn't have to rewire either the c16 loom in or make mine connect to the engine/ ecu. the cars off the road now and i'll just have to wait until i can find a x16 for the right price because this is going to be way to much hassle and money just for a run around

New Poll