corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Need to learn Mac

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need to learn Mac
Doug

User status: Offline
4th Feb 10 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend (Or may have a copy for sale) a good book to learn the basics of a Mac OSX?

I am used to using Windows but due to a new area of development at work I want to learn how to use a Mac.

Any suggestions?
Dom

4th Feb 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virtual Machine a copy of OSX (legal to VM OSX Server, illegal to VM retail copy as it has to be modified) - images are freely available, but it isn't very fast.

Could always install a modified copy of OSX, ie: OSX86/Hackintosh, and install along side Windows - this is what i've done in the past, it's illegal (both using Server and Retail copies, and obviously download modified versions), but it works just as well as if it was running on Apple hardware, in fact my system (Q6600) out performed last models mac-pro's. Only issues with it is that it might take a few tries installing selecting different ktexts (drivers) and if you need to use external hardware you might be screwed if modified drivers aren't available. Check out OSX86 Project forums, plenty of info about.

Otherwise ebay for a mac mini, as you can pick up a few year old intel for £300 quid or so. Won't be mind blowing fast, but it'll get you legally started with OSX!
Cosmo

4th Feb 10 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Learn what exactly, just the basics of using it or a lot more than that?
Doug

4th Feb 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

A fair bit. I want to learn the in's and outs of the file system etc

So I could set up a dual boot with Mac OSX and Vista?
Dom

4th Feb 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

A fair bit. I want to learn the in's and outs of the file system etc

So I could set up a dual boot with Mac OSX and Vista?

Yeah, it's obviously illegal to do though. So if it's for work i'd probably give it a miss, at home well yeah it's your own call.

Have a read of the forums and wiki at >OSX86 Project<, see if there any issues with your hardware (motherboard/processor/soundcard/graphics etc) and what drivers you need. Then just grab a copy of modded OSX (iATKOS or iDeneb or iPC), i'm sure you know where to look, and then basically boot from CD and install. Like i said though it might be a bit hit and miss with the installation - i had a rough idea of what ktexts/drivers to install and got a decent copy going within 10mins but you might select a driver that causes OSX to 'Kernel Panic' (black-screen basically) and then you start again etc.

If you have a spare drive then use that for OSX!!!! As OSX86 requires a bootloader and a modded boot partition and it can causes issues with the other O/S (say a bad installation takes out the boot sector - so windows is still there, but you have to repair the drive, ie: it's a ballache).

But like i say, once you get it working it's pretty solid (never had an issue here) and it's either the same or better performance to an Apple Hardware (spec v spec).

[Edited on 04-02-2010 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 10 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd purchase a £30 copy and VM it?
Dom

4th Feb 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'd purchase a £30 copy and VM it?

Needs to be OSX Server which is £408!! And you can only VM this, it becomes illegal if you install in as a stand-alone OS, plus OSX runs pretty slow VM'd unless you run it under a ESXi server (ie: - this is an expensive option, just get a second hand mac mini if needs to be legit).

Again it's still illegal to use a retail copy as you have to modify it, so you might as well just get hold of a dodgy copy that's already been modded and save the cash.
ed

4th Feb 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's all you need to know. The press the Apple button when clicking the mouse, it's the same as a right click.
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 10 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its for personal use gtf, I'd do it. He's doing it for testing purposes, Microsoft GIVE their software away for testing and educational purposes.
Doug

4th Feb 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if I bought another hard drive I could have MacOSX running on that? Would it be a proper emulation of a normal Mac operating environment?

I am tempted to buy another hard drive and give it a go TBH

OR

I have a Samsung NC10 Netbook. Could that be used to install Mac OSX?
Dom

4th Feb 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
So if I bought another hard drive I could have MacOSX running on that? Would it be a proper emulation of a normal Mac operating environment?

I am tempted to buy another hard drive and give it a go TBH

OR

I have a Samsung NC10 Netbook. Could that be used to install Mac OSX?

It's not emulation, it's actually OSX. An Apple Mac uses Intel hardware, so it's an x86/x64 system (ie: a PC!) with an EFI rather than a bios (as such). So you basically have a Mac (in terms of operating system) but without the stupid costs of buying one. I was using Logic/Protools, Adobe Suite and Final Cut without any problems, and i was pushing these apps pretty hard daily.

Regarding installation, a part from issues with installing, you might have problems with ktexts (drivers) especially for external hardware (ie: Soundcards, some Wifi cards/dongles, audio hardware like midi controllers etc) - but read around the forums first and check all your hardware to see if it's compatible first and what you need to get it running!!
And yes, ideally wack it on another hard drive. You can install OSX side by side with other O/S's, but if you have issues then it'll likely pull the others down with it (as i said before about the bootloader etc).
Unplug all your other drives, install OSX on it's own drive and get it working, then plug the other drives back in.

As for your NC10, i believe you can install it on there without too much hassle. Again check the forums.

Also, if you have NTFS partitions/drives then you'll need to install something like NTFS-3G to get OSX to recognise them properly.

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If it’s for personal use gtf, I'd do it. He's doing it for testing purposes, Microsoft GIVE their software away for testing and educational purposes.

Doesn't matter what you're doing with it, it's illegal to install Retail OSX on anything other than Apple hardware (as stated in OSX’s EULA). Hence why i wouldn't do this if it was for company/work use, otherwise go for it - it hasn't stopped me or any of the other thousands of people building hackintoshes

Edit - By company/work use, i mean installing OSX on a system that belongs to the company. If it's your own hardware then do what you want...

[Edited on 04-02-2010 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 10 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah of course for a company stick to OSX on a mac. If your looking at learning some I'd just shove it on a Virtual Machine/2nd Hard Drive.

Hardly the biggest crime of the centry is it!
Doug

4th Feb 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder if I would be able to trade my Samsung NC10 for a Macbook.

What's the battery life like on them?
AlunJ

4th Feb 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Here's all you need to know. The press the Apple button when clicking the mouse, it's the same as a right click.

the newer ones don't have the apple button any more!
James_DT

5th Feb 10 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
quote:
Originally posted by ed

the newer ones don't have the apple button any more!

How do you do things like Copy, Paste, Quit etc? The Apple key is used quite heavily in OS X.

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Ctrl + Click, although most Apple mice these days have a right click, as do the track pads if you tap with two fingers.
Dom

5th Feb 10 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If using a PC keyboard, the ALT key becomes the OSX Cmd(Command/Apple) key...

New Poll