corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My house project thread - renovation/development advice needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My house project thread - renovation/development advice needed
Carl

User status: Offline
27th Jan 10 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here is our house I picked the keys up yesterday for. It has cost us 59,590 which is a bit of a bargain, it is very close to where I have grown up and the area isn't bad at all so for us to get this at this price is proper spot on. We weren't really in a position to buy but it was too good to miss and the right time in terms of my dad is an aging retired builder/jack of all trades! It's a repossesion so today i've been sorting out getting stuff back online and sorting out getting rid of the pre-pay gas and electric. Also changed the lock barrell in the doors so no previous owners can unlock them.

Kitchen

plans for that are to knock this walk-incupboard out which is already underway, the kitchen already looks a lot bigger.

Living room

Bedroom

The view, not too bad for a terrace house, better than looking straight onto a road any how.

Today we've stripped the wall paper. We are going to rip that cupboard effort out and that horrible fire place.

Bathroom

Small but recently been decorated. Plans for this is some sort of shower, probably just one of those that runs from the taps. Personally i's scrap the bath and get a nice shower in (funds permiting but not sure the other half would be up for it.)

2nd bedroom

only small, going to put the pc in there and probably store a load of shit in there. Plans are to move the door frame further in so its right near the toilet door which will add a bit of room to it.

The wonky door handle shows the level of finsih of the house, lots of shit bits like that and short cuts such as not running pipping descretely etc that we'll probably just have to do our best to cover etc.

The other jobs are to see if there is a loft hatch behind a false ceiling, if not put one in and check the roof.
Also need to clear guttering. Then we'll be hopefully get the bedroom plastered ready to paint and same with the kitchen that has half been destroyed.

It's all been done on a tight budget as at present my contract runs out end of March so we could potentially scraping by after that if worst comes to the worst. So it won't be appearing on cribs any time soon, but it is definitely a good start for us both.

[Edited on 27-07-2013 by Carl]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60k! fucks sake NORTH FTW indeed
Tomnova16
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just what i thought willay, thats pretty much a deposit down here ffs,
good find though mate, looks a good place to start

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
stubs

28th Jan 10 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

Looks like a repo (tape on the taps/toilets/appliances).. nice though
stubs

28th Jan 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, sorry I've just re-read the 1st post and yeah it is a repo... wicked find
Nismo

28th Jan 10 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

K'ing bargin!
Brett
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuckin hell, bargain! Looks decent that Carl

Wish houses could be had for that price round here
AlunJ

28th Jan 10 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's well tidy and for the price you can't go wrong, well done i'll be watching this one
a_j_mair

28th Jan 10 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

moving in with the girlfriend?

house looks very good for the price

Best of luck with it

will keep an eye on progress
Carl

28th Jan 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
moving in with the girlfriend?

house looks very good for the price

Best of luck with it

will keep an eye on progress

Yes with the girlfriend, but she'll be under the patio before long if she continues her present form.

60k and its not in the slums and less than a mile to the train station so good access for Leeds and Sheff. It was definitely too good to miss.

My dad has been making good progress onknocking the pantry out, proper transformed the kitchen to be fair. Off to pick a settee up tonight, just a bragain brown leather effort to put us on.

Carl

6th Feb 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Progress so far.....

Bedroom
Walls stripped, coving removed, inbuilt cupboard removed,

Fireplace bricked up, plasterboarded , structure built for built in wardrobes. Sparky is coming to fit sockets and tv aerial to chimney breast ready for a tv which will be housed behind the sliding wardrobe doors. Will be a while until that is all done though due to budget.

Landing

Old door frame on landing that has been knocked out. Relocating door frame of second bedroom to add a bit of space that is currently useless.

Old hatch; barely big enough to get through.

New hatch in progress;

This is so we can get the roof insulated as there is none at all in and also fit some retractable loft ladders and used the area to store stuff.. The loft is a really good space, no obstructions so we have made some future plans for it to utilse. The idea is to scrap the pissy second bedroom to make way for some stairs up to the loft to make a very good sized second bedroom, as said this won't be getting done anytime soon but is defo on for the future.

Kitchen

The floor was sloped in the area that was the old pantry so the other day we smashed it in and cemented it a bit more level.

Pipes top and bottom have been boxed in.

Really hoping to be able to find a unit same as what we have in the kitchen to put a false unit in around the boiler. My old man has also put a few sockets in etc. Plastering started today so that is all going well.

Other jobs are to get someone out to have a good inspection of roof, you can see daylight from inside so not the best. Also need someone to commision/service boiler, fingers crossed that is ok. In the bedroom we are relocating a radiator and putting some more sockets in for bedside tables.
16vKarlos

6th Feb 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coming along nicely
_Allan_

7th Feb 10 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good Carl, Bargain price as well
deanmcreynolds26

7th Feb 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bargain mate,

is it concrete floors all over downstairs?
Marc

7th Feb 10 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know its already been said but, 60k!

My mates studio flat cost 102k!
deano87

7th Feb 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Carl

8th Feb 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deanmcreynolds26
bargain mate,

is it concrete floors all over downstairs?

Yes it is, only know that because some tool as put a socket next to the door at light switch height. Apparently its the regs now incase of flooding but the socket is nowhere near a unitor anything so it's just stuck there!

Definitely a bargain, you'd think for 60k it would be in a proper shit place but it isn't at all which is the best part about it.

The socket and tv aerial are now inplace and the radiator has been re-located to a different wall in the bedroom so our bed can be flush against the wall opposite where the tv will be.
C2RL R

8th Feb 10 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm not keen on the two rads on one wall. whats that all about?
Carl

8th Feb 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
i'm not keen on the two rads on one wall. whats that all about?

God knows. Was going to ask my dad to remove one but I fel bad pileing on all the jobs so I might wait a bit. The pipes aren't routed through the floor either which is a bit crap, going to try an box them in, make it a bit neater.

[Edited on 08-02-2010 by Carl]
16vKarlos

9th Feb 10 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt bother with the boxing in matey. it's a massive pain in the ass lol.

Im guessing thats downstairs so you cant put them under floor?
Fad

9th Feb 10 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent progress removing the pantry was a brilliant idea
Carl

16th Feb 10 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update, coming along now. Picked the colours for the living room and kitchen yesterday as it is half price on crown emulsion at B&Q. going for antique cream and black in both the kitchen and living room. Hoping for a contrast same as the writing on the tin with the black and ivor cream type colour same as the units already in.

Got a few samples of black wallpaper for the alcoves in the living room. Not picked colours for the bedroom yet though.

Kitchen
Plastered, 100 years worth of paint off doorway scrapped off, skirting added to part that was old pantry. A few bits that i wish I'd have sorted but too late now, like 2 light switches on the wall, not sure why my dad didn't think on and put them together. Then there is the random socket and socket/oven switch at high levels. Going to buy a door for the boiler, as I was stood in wickes the otherday and I looked across at kitchens and saw the exact same kitchen demo so i've the price list for that kitchen next to me, which was a stroke of luck.

Stairway
Stripped, nearly fully plastered, got rid of the artexed chipboard roof effort and the old hand rail. Not sure on how going to decorate, probably just get some cheap white emulsion to keep costs down.
Before;

during

at present;

2nd bedroom extension

Door frame knocked out and moved, bits to plaster, this is the least of the priorities at the minute so might be uncomplete for a while.

Bedroom
Radiator relocated to other wall so can have the bed opposite the wardrobes/tv/. Also had some sockets put in for the bedside tables. Just waiting on plasterer now in this room. He's a mate who is doing it for free and he isn't the quickest & reliable of persons when he's getting paid so its hard to get it all blasted off.

Livingroom
Cracks in the way cut in more and fillered.Going to need a nice black firesurround but that will probably have to wait.

Overall; Got a roofer coming on Sunday to inspect roof, hopefully won't be too expensive but not looking forward to it, still not had gas recommissioned so slightly anxious about that too! Need a skip for all the shit i've pilled in the garden, I thought you paid for how long you had them so i've made a nice big pile ready to put in, not sure why my dad didn't think on once again since he knows you pay a set amount!
dannymccann

16th Feb 10 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the timescale so far on what youve done? Your old man seems to be steaming through the work

As said before, bargain and you should see a proper healthy profit in a few years when you outgrow it.

Future plans for big bedroom in the loft (dormer ceiling I would assume though?) sounds very promising, maybe even an ensuite up there for a touch of class??? Either way with the right planning regs could see a mint coming back for it
Carl

16th Feb 10 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Whats the timescale so far on what youve done? Your old man seems to be steaming through the work

As said before, bargain and you should see a proper healthy profit in a few years when you outgrow it.

Future plans for big bedroom in the loft (dormer ceiling I would assume though?) sounds very promising, maybe even an ensuite up there for a touch of class??? Either way with the right planning regs could see a mint coming back for it

Got the keys 27th Jan so it's been a good 2/3 weeks. My dad has been down everyday, a mate did the wardrobes and i've another friend plastering, we'd be further along if he plastered quicker though!
The loft conversion would depend on budget, probably noting too fancy as there is only so much value you can add to these houses onsuite would be nice but the origional bathroom wouldn't be far off.

Got someone coming to measure up for carpets today.
Colin

16th Feb 10 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats some amount of progress in no time at all, takes me back to when I got my repo flat & it was like 9 months before it was livable!! Your old mans a legend, you'll own him a beer or 2 after this!!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll