corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My house project thread - renovation/development advice needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My house project thread - renovation/development advice needed
dhanson08

User status: Offline
16th Feb 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive noticed you can get alot of house for the money in south yorkshire
Carl

28th Feb 10 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update;

skip purchased and filled. Still not had a roofer round, he let me down and also said he'd let me know for week after then didn't answer my calls. Boiler has been checked out and certificate issued, at one point there was a possibilit of needing a new one, but the part he got did the trick, the house is warm as now after about a minute with the heating on, that many radiators knocking about. At the minute we are looking at the possibility of putting a few tanks in the loft and running an electric shower as the water pressure is shockingly bad, the bath would take ages to fill up, so turning into a must.

Loft insulation has been fitted also fitted a light;

nice and think, cost about £60 so was a bargain.

Shows how unobstructed the roof is, defo in prime to be converted.

Stairs painted, hand rail going on tomorrow. The meters at the bottom will be boxed in when I've changed the suppliers and got rid of the pre-pay meters.

Top part of the stairs/landing painted;

The bedroom has been full plastered and almost fully painted now, sockets and tv aerial in. THe back wall is a purply colour and the walls are a pale brown, left the colours etc to the girlfriend as i'm not that fussed.

Kitchen is painted; check out the light switch about 10 cm from another light switch, not quite sure why my dad didn't put them on a double, looks quite funny with the socket that is in mid air the other side of the door, and the oven and socket that is even higher, they have comedy value if nothing else.

Just got tidying and painting the boxing in up.

Then onto essentials like a fridege and blinds before we can see how much money we have left to start improving stuff such as getting a door to hide the boiler and what we are going to do with the space we've made from removing the pantry.

Carpets have been ordered for the bedroom and stairs, the fitters are coming Saturday. Also ordered the lino for the kitchen, got some quite thick stuff so should do the job. Living room is pretty much the same at the minute. Going to blast off some painting this week then hopefully once the bedroom and stairs have carpets we can start moving some stuff in.

Carl

12th Mar 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not taken many pictures recently. Carpets are down though now, nearly there, just a few odds and sods. Got a roofer round for a bit of work on the roof. Livingroom we have picked the wall paper so needs a few layers of paint and that putting up. My girlfriend has picked some perculiar looking lights that i'll have to get a picture of, think she's been on the crack. Raided ikea for some cheap blinds and bodged them up, just general shite like that.

This weekend, the bed is going in and i'm picking a fridge freezer up from a mates. Probably give it all a good clean.

Kitchen floor in;

Bathroom,;
had to put a gravity fed system in for the shower to combat the shite water pressure;

It's in now, will get complete pictures at some point, just need a curtain of some sort.

Painted fire surround in living room, looks loads better just with that.

16vKarlos

13th Mar 10 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a place you can mount a glass door thingy for the shower? or is the window too wide?

as for a curtain for the window, i'd leave it as it is as you have frosted glass

karlos
Carl

14th Mar 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 16vKarlos
Is there a place you can mount a glass door thingy for the shower? or is the window too wide?

as for a curtain for the window, i'd leave it as it is as you have frosted glass

karlos

I meant some sort of curtain to stop the water getting on the window. Just gone for a U shaped shower curtain pole, might end up being a really small space but will do the job.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

15th Mar 10 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are flying mate, Well in! I've only done the bathroom on mine so far

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ludacris Turbo

20th Mar 10 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lookin really good pal! Where abouts in Barnsley have you got this?
Carl

26th Mar 10 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's in darton, which is just down from old post office pub on motorway junction. In it now but not got internet sorted so just on phone and can't upload any more pics.not finished yet still a few odd jobs but it's livable. Need 2 sort a phone line but not fancying 130 quid bt connection fee!
Carl

27th Mar 10 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Girlfriend's slack light.

Kitchen nearly done, got a few more bits in since that pic.

Fridge freezer got free off a mate.

Finally got wallpaper up in the room so will get some pics of that.
Carl

16th May 10 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only just got my internet sorted. Need to take some pics as quite a bit more done, got a few off the phone, the living room is more or less done for now apart from the back wall where we still need some radiator cabinets or something and maybe a big picture.

Also dug the front garden up, tidied the sides up and tried to level it off. Just got some visqueen (sp) today so now ready to get it decked as it gets a lot of sun so should be quite good. Need to sort the fence out and look at how to deck! Not sur how you go about it and my dad seems to have gone on the go slow, got a few odd ends that he hasn't sorted out for weeks and sadly I'm a bit shite at DIY!

Colin

16th May 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good Carl, did you get to an end with the coal sheds & who owned them carry on??
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th May 10 at 01:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why did you do cream tiles around the shower?

when the rest of the tiles are black?
Carl

17th May 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Looks good Carl, did you get to an end with the coal sheds & who owned them carry on??

Not fully sorted. The solicitor looked through the neighbours deeds and confirmed there is nothing on mine or their's that indicates that they are theirs. Also my friend bought a terraced recently to rent out and his are clearly indicated in different colours that outbuildings quite away from his house are his, relating to the maintainance costs etc. So I talked to one of the neighbours and told her what the solicitor said and I asked her for the paper work from when they allegidly had trouble with the previous tennant so got something from the solicitor. Anyway she came back about half an hour saying she had spoke to her husband and they had sent whatever they had back to the solicitor, convieniently . I tried to get her to explain what it was and she just mentioned a map type thing with some red on it and that it cost the £40 or so. I'm very skeptical, I've never had to send anything back to a solicitor or heard of it, not in the days of photocopies etc!

Anyway after that she popped around a bit later and said that if I bought them something for the end of their garden to store stuff they would take their stuff out! So to me that is an admition of defeat really and an example of how cheeky they are. Anyway, i've not had the chance to speak to the other neighbour since, although I know the other one will have told her, they seem to disappear whenever I appear.I'm leaving it at that for now as i'm not ready to re-roof them etc anyway. After seeiing my friends deeds it's quite clear that they have no lawful reasoning to be using them so it's just down to the best wait to amiccably get their stuff out, if that fails we'll send them a letter telling them to take their stuff out by a certain date or I'll be removing it.

Mark, for cost mainly they were a lot cheaper. There was also the fact there were loads of black tiles to pick so would have been hard to match and the other walls are half tiled so it fits in with the colour scheme.
Colin

17th May 10 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pmsl....the cheeks cunts!! Buy something for up to store our junk in our own garden indeed!!

Give them the hairy side of your hand next time they come up with such a suggestion!!!
Carl

17th May 10 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
pmsl....the cheeks cunts!! Buy something for up to store our junk in our own garden indeed!!

Give them the hairy side of your hand next time they come up with such a suggestion!!!

It was one of those things that doesn't sink in till you've gone away from situation and then you think what they have actually just said. Just shows how cheeky they are, they park their car over the other side of the yard on someone else's part because their part is fenced off. There are 2 houses rented out that are empty, if people with cars move in it's going to be chaos!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th May 10 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those tiles are from b&q and are cheap
Carl

17th May 10 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too late now!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th May 10 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

certainly is

nevermind doesnt look too bad
drunkenfool

18th May 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent size loft space and a garden ready for sorting out over the summer - looks like you got a great buy there and should have a lot of fun doing it up!
Carl

11th Jun 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished the decking in the front garden. Looks tiny on the pictures but it is actually 4.3 x3.6metres so is a decent area to sit in. Just need to sort the sides out with a bit of fencing and some compost for some flowers of some sort.
There is two pictures above of what it started off like. We also had to sort the steps out, which was a massive pillar that runs across to the neighbours.

Absolutely banged it down during construct.

Asda table chairs and brolly, spot on for 50 notes,
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any updates?!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
taylorboosh

25th Sep 10 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your dads quite handy
Carl

28th Sep 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, still living with no wardrobes etc! We did add some flowers into the front garden but most have been eaten and took out.

Doing head in a bit now, mainly due to not enough money to throw at it and a lack of ideas that fit in the budget! I want to get bedroom sorted as living with 2 rails is a bit tedious now!
Carl

20th Sep 11 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A little update;
roof before;

after

Wardrobes (still got innerds to sort!)

Living room

We've just got a new corner sofa which has filled the room up a treat, still need a carpet though. Other bits and bobs done but still got plenty to do. Never ending the home owner lark.
Graham88

20th Sep 11 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Enjoyed reading this, good work. I hope I have somebody like your old man who is handy to do stuff for me when I move out.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll