corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows File Sharing and Offline Files

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows File Sharing and Offline Files
ed

User status: Offline
6th Jan 10 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been having issues with this for ages now. I have my PC which has a pair of HDD's in RAID for data storage and another HDD for software. My laptop has a single HDD in it for files and programs. I used to map the RAID array as a network drive on the laptop, then I changed the location of Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos in my user storage area to the corresponding locations on the network drive. I did similar on the PC, but locally as opposed to using a mapped network location.

On the laptop I set it so that only Documents and Pictures were available offline using the file sync thing on Vista. I've since upgraded to 7 and tried the exact same setup. In both o/s's I've had big problems getting it to sync correctly. It doesn't seem to like some of the very large files I tend to use and messes up the sync if the transfer speed is quite slow. I let it sync overnight by letting Windows do the operation while the computer is plugged into the mains and on standby.

I've tried using the same setup, but instead of using a mapped network drive I have used the network address of the location I want my files to be stored which has authentication errors as the PC wont accept the login credentials from the Laptop as they are from different domains now.

Is there a more robust way to set this up? I just want my documents on my laptop to be the same as the ones on the PC Could I use some kind of workgroup file sharing setup, or a domain?
ed

6th Jan 10 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is SyncToy better than the file sync wizard built into Windows?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en
Sam
Premium Member

6th Jan 10 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably not much use to you, but once upon a time I had the same issues and just decided to use Syncplicity instead, only problem is that the (server) had to be logged on all the time IIRC so wasn't a good solution but more of a temporary workaround.
ed

6th Jan 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried that in the past and it seemed quite good. I'd rather have something that runs in the background like the built in Windows thing. I also need to move my RAID array to a NAS so that I don't have my PC on all the time
pow
Premium Member

6th Jan 10 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The windows 7 sync centre is a cut above the XP sync centre (
ed

6th Jan 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying again from scratch

Just trying to find the firewall settings for Windows Home group as that seems to be th eonly way to pass login credentials from each computer.

New Poll