corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Loan Thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Loan Thread
Graham88

User status: Offline
5th Jan 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went into the bank (Abbey) to see about a loan today, and they can only give me a quote based on there best interest rate (8.9%APR). I asked for a quote on my own credit as I doubt I'll be liable for that as I've only got a contract phone and had one loan in the past so hardly going to be brilliant. She then asked if I wanted insurance I said how much is it, and she couldn't say as they don't offer it in branch, you have to use the phones?

So anyway I asked for the in branch quote without insurance and she said if she does that my credit will go down and APR will go up? And then when they quote me with insurance it'll do the same again, and if and when I take it out they'll do it again and APR will rise each of those times? Wtf is that about? So basically if I get a quote I'm more or less pushed into taking the loan at the time or I risk my credit getting worse?

Seriously is there a way around this? For all I know they're going to do a credit search and I'll be getting charged 25% but they'll expect me to take it there and then or my credit will get worse
dannymccann

5th Jan 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every time a credit score is done on you it has a mark on your file, theres no way around it.

Do you desperately need the loan?
Graham88

5th Jan 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not desperate no, it's for a new car, and not urgently needed this minute, got to sell my old one first I just thought I would make some enquiries first.

Just seems a silly system to me.
dannymccann

5th Jan 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only going to get worse with the new regs the banks have coming on them all the time as well, will make it harder and harder for young people / people with poor credit scores. Its all about trying to make us think twice about using credit to buy things, which is a shame for the financially sound people who could quite easily afford a normal loan yet get stung with stupid APRs because of age etc
Graham88

5th Jan 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I misunderstood your question about desperately needing the loan, it's for £8000, so yes I need the loan as I am not taking finance and it might be a private sale anyway so finance won't be an option. I have no other way of getting that money otherwise and a loan is a good way of getting some form of credit for myself. I've had one loan for £3500 over a year and a contract phone for a few years, so I won't have bad credit, but it won't be great either as I don't have much to show (mortgage, rent etc)

I will be taking one I just thought it was a stupid system and wanted to make sure everything was as sounds.

On £8000 over 2 years the monthly payments were about £350 and a total of £8700 at the end. No sweat for me to pay but it's whether I'll get an interest rate anywhere near that.
dannymccann

5th Jan 10 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough if its really important to you thats what its there for at the end of the day. What with the climate still being.....unstable somewhat....I wouldnt be surprised if you got APRs of double or triple the advertised rate.

I know when I looked (21, never been in debt, got credit cards, phone contract etc) for a loan of £5k I was getting quotes of 33.9% Jog on
John

5th Jan 10 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It puts a mark on your file but this won't affect your rating at all.

If you are getting loads of checks and refusals this may affect it but the woman in the bank was talking rubbish.
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 10 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my experience it doesn't affect things much. I moved loads of money round when I first moved in this flat, checks and scores each time, never gave me a problem ever.
deano87

5th Jan 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally puts a worse mark on if you get declined for the loan, rather than just applying.
Graham88

6th Jan 10 at 03:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, last 3 posts were what I wanted to hear. They do talk a load of trife in banks.

I hope it won't be that high Danny I paid 18.9% last time for £3500.
deano87

6th Jan 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try Sainsburys Finance. They seem quite reasonable.

I looked at £1500 and would pay back £1700 in total. Give or take.
Graham88

7th Jan 10 at 05:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Deano, will give them a try
Ste
Premium Member

7th Jan 10 at 05:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also worth a look on the price comparison sites

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
A2H GO

7th Jan 10 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Normally puts a worse mark on if you get declined for the loan, rather than just applying.

FAIL. The check does not state whether or not that particular application was accepted/declined it just shows that particular company did a check.
Graham88

7th Jan 10 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
also worth a look on the price comparison sites

I didn't even know they did price comparism sites for loans, any recommended ones?
Tommy L

7th Jan 10 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use compare the market graham
oceansoul

7th Jan 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH dont buy what you cant afford. If you cant afford then save for. Only exception being a mortgage. IMO of course.
John

7th Jan 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or get it now and still be able to afford what you'd put away every month saving for it.
ed

7th Jan 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a bit of a childish view, loans are useful products.
Graham88

8th Jan 10 at 05:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
TBH dont buy what you cant afford. If you cant afford then save for. Only exception being a mortgage. IMO of course.

What's not being able to afford it got to do with anything. I can easily afford 8k, unfortunately I can't muster it out of mid air and I want a car now because quite frankly I'm impatient, so thats what a loan is for.
Ben G

8th Jan 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul

he can afford it easily though!!!

i hate people that say ''you can't afford it'' even though you can easily pay the money back every month.

i wanted a focus st and went and got one. didn't have a problem getting one on finance but imagine saving up 18000 pounds.. that's take ages.

much easier to get finance then pay it back out your wages every month.
Graham88

8th Jan 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly I prefer loans over finance but it's the same thing it's nothing to do with being able to afford it.
deano87

11th Jan 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing that puts me off getting a loan is not being able to pay it back i.e. in the event of losing my job.

Most won't even offer payment protection insurance with it now.
Graham88

11th Jan 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The quotes I've had so far, PPI is absolutely ridiculous. £1200 in most cases. My job is safe, so I'm just gonna go without it I reckon.
John

11th Jan 10 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just make sure the car is always worth more than I owe, solves the problem.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll