corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » VMware - crash course? pointers?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VMware - crash course? pointers?
SetH

User status: Offline
11th Dec 09 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going for a IT support contract as back up incase i dont get the permie job im after but the client wants VMware experience. Unfortunately ive not worked anywhere thats gone through virtulisation and googling VMware is giving me confusing N00b attacks

Anyone have any experience in VMware can you give me a few pointers?

Thanks.
SetH

11th Dec 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ESX servers?
Rob_Quads

11th Dec 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are some good docs on the vmware site - presume its ESX they are talking about.

Other option is go download vmware server/player and see how the desktop versions work as its a good insight into ESX
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Dec 09 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I admire your drive to get the job SetH but lets face it you're hardly going to get amazing experience with VMWARE from reading shit at home or running it on your box.

Vmware at home can be quite simple but soon as you look into dedicated servers such as ESX then things get alot more complicated. Basically its a operating system based on RedHat Linux (i think) thats been customised to run virtual enviroments.
SetH

11th Dec 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drive to get the job? its a piss ant support job and thus a backup.

Yes im out for myself but anyone that isnt in this climate is silly imo, after all ive been treated as a "resource" and dumped at the drop of a hat so if i can blag the interview and mention some VMware exposure and get a few weeks work so be it..
Rob_Quads

11th Dec 09 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can play around with esx too at home. Its possible to get it onto a USB key, boot it up and see what the enterprise version is too
M2RTY

11th Dec 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have 300 or so VMs at work

I have built a fair few in the last few weeks, most using SAN storage

Didnt know too much about them when I started, didnt bull shit in the interview tho lol

pow
Premium Member

11th Dec 09 at 23:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my job at my new school because I showed that i was willing to learn, not becuase I knew it all.
Half Pint

12th Dec 09 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit company and our account manager is a pile of wank.

Andrew

12th Dec 09 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
drive to get the job? its a piss ant support job and thus a backup.

I love comments like this. It's a highly skilled job and will pay off as a skill base knowlege is built. You cannot talk the talk and get to the top, you need something to back it up with. Employers will soon show you the door. If you can deal with your own company, contracting may be the way forward. Some of our contracters are on £400 a day who we use for Cisco stuff and another guy we use when we are low on resources. There is money to be made for sure!!

I've started getting Microsoft Master Certified done through home study. Hopefully in the new year becoming VMCertified from taking a 1 week course at Remark in Manchester.

Certifications are not all they are cracked up to be. Yeah, looks good on paper but you learn the content to pass the exam. Hands on experience is what you need!!

New Poll