corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 Vs 1.7 DTI

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.2 Vs 1.7 DTI
Geezer

User status: Offline
4th Mar 03 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which will be better?

simlar speeds and 60mile to the gallon on a diesel so i'd go for diesel

this is the corsa C newest engines
Foz

4th Mar 03 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who actually cares!
Geezer

4th Mar 03 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i asked because i want to know, i've got a 1.2 atm and am getting a 1.7 in a weeks time i woundered what people thought.
Red_SXi

4th Mar 03 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer the 1.2 because it sounds nicer, plus it is obviously more rev happy. I do have alot of fun driving my Dad's 1.7 Dti Sxi though, it has a kinda dump valve, you can only really hear it with the windows open.
Geezer

4th Mar 03 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by black_corsa_sxi
I prefer the 1.2 because it sounds nicer, plus it is obviously more rev happy. I do have alot of fun driving my Dad's 1.7 Dti Sxi though, it has a kinda dump valve, you can only really hear it with the windows open.

any noticable speed difference?
Red_SXi

4th Mar 03 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well............. The deisel feels quicker to drive, and would impress the passengers more because they think they're going faster, but in a race they are about the same, the petrol is better for racing i'd sy cos the limiter don't kick in til 6,500 on the petrol, but the desiels kicks in at abuot 5000 u think. I'd buy a petrol unless i do over 30k a year.

Another thing with the deisel is that if you pull out of a junction onto un-even road surface and boot it in 1st it looses traction easier because of the torque, and i'd amagine handles slightly worse because of this plus the weight factor.
Gambit

4th Mar 03 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would only buy a diesel if i done a lot of miles
Geezer

4th Mar 03 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15 miles the the gallon extra is alot. people still seem to think diesels are bad, the new ones are faily good now performance wise. and sound has got better as well.

but still petrol is better
d0gz_bollox

4th Mar 03 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the deisal will have more power at high speeds since it has a bigger displacement.
Doug_SRi

4th Mar 03 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.7DTi is better, i drive the 1.2 at the moment and its shit in fuel.....my brother has the 1.7DTi and its a bit quicker i think....were getting the 1.7DTi SXi very soon tho but main reason i can give is the 1.2 is really bad on fuel
Mikeboy

4th Mar 03 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the DTi and Im well pleased with it

I've had it bout 2 months and Im still getting used to driving it properly. Maybe it's just me ! but u need to remember when changing gear, not to shove ur foot back down on the accelerator, but rather wait til the clutch is right up, then bring the accelerator down ... or else u seem to lose bout 60% of the turbo-ness/quickess ... lol u can see I know what Im talking about

Yep - its great on fuel - I got over 400 miles on the tank even when it was runnning in.

And like black_corsa_sxi says, if u have ur window open, accelerating in 2nd say, turbo going 'schheeeeeeiiiiiiissssSSSS', - then into 3rd, and u hear a sexy little 'chhhhhh' sound before the new 'scheeeiissssssSS' Love it

Apparantly its got a better suspension set up (no longer "uprated and lowered") - but its different suspension - someone off here said it was better.

Like I say Im still getting used to it, only been driving bout 15 months, before i had an old noooova.

But sometimes when u pull away just right but not really expecting it, it pins u back in ur seat and knocks ur neck back ! Done that a few times .. . I might be exagerating a bit, but u'll see what I mean I hope .
Mikeboy

4th Mar 03 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeh, people complain about diesels being so noisey.

The only time I'd say the DTi sounds noisey is when its cold and its next to a wall or a building, but the rest of the time it sounds sweet - a nice manly purr
Red_SXi

4th Mar 03 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get better economy, but the car costs £700 more, so to get your money back you have to do at least 20k miles a year, and it depreciates more in my opinion. Believe me its only worth having if you do lots of miles
Mikeboy

4th Mar 03 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good point, but imo theres more reasons to get it over just fuel economy
Red_SXi

4th Mar 03 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we shall beg to differ then. I'd be worried about selling it, because i know one thing for sure, i wouldn't want a second hand deisel corsa for shit. But they are becoming more popular now, so i dunno
Kris TD

5th Mar 03 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that noise you here is the egr.
the dieselhas much quicker in gear times than the petrol, woul dsh1t on the 1.2 during normal driving.
Paul_J

5th Mar 03 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think your all missing the other factors...

Tuning...

1.2 16v There's basically nothing that can be done... well cheaply anyway...

1.7 DTi - surely you can add a decent dump valve and bleed valve etc and get quite a lot of extra Bhp from it... Also you see bigger gains from mods like power chips on turbo based cars...

Paul J
Kris TD

5th Mar 03 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dump valve adds no power on td's
bleed valves are only really useful on old td's u need a rechip on newer td's
Cybermonkey

5th Mar 03 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saying that though, TD's are very good when it comes to chipping. Just changing the timing levels for the turbo can see a whole lot more power and torque. I would say go with the diesel. They are a whole lot better nowadays. CorsaFoz you are a dick.

Dave
Foz

6th Mar 03 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
CorsaFoz you are a dick.

Dave

thanks, quite mature fighting online.
Plymouth_Corsa

6th Mar 03 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a silver Corsa C SXi 1200cc 16v in total vauxhall mag a few months ago, and it was in one of there rolling road features, was fitted with a chip, filter and full exhaust system and dyno'd@85bhp - thats better then a 8v SRi....so they can be tuned a bit more then standard, they are not too bad.
Kris TD

8th Mar 03 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats only a 10 bhp gain, not really very much for the 500 plus he would have spent on that sxi.
td's are gonna get very fast and have loads of tuning parts available in the next few years, u can alreay buy psycho stuff for the VAG td's.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 Vs 1.7 DTI 23 database queries in 0.0167449 seconds