corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cleaning the throttle body - a bit of advice and guidance

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cleaning the throttle body - a bit of advice and guidance
deano87

User status: Offline
21st Oct 09 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I need to clean the throttle body on my car (X10XE) to see if it sorts my idle problem before taking the car to Vauxhall.

How do I go about doing this?

Is it a case of putting the carb cleaner onto a rag and scrubbing it clean? Should I spray the carb cleaner directly onto the throttle body? What if carb cleaner drips into the engine/throttle?

Any advice etc would be great pics even better

[Edited on 21-10-2009 by deano87]
finch515

21st Oct 09 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its best to take it off the car to clean. however, depending on the carb cleaner, you can just spray it on a rag and wipe down near the butterfly. You can spray it into the throttle body and it shouldn't harm anything. IF YOU DO ANY OF THIS TURN THE ENGINE OFF FIRST, DO NOT TAKE ANY AIR PIPES/HOSES OFF WHILE ITS STILL RUNNING!

Hope thats helpful mate
deano87

21st Oct 09 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What part is the butterfly? The bit that actually moves and opens the whole up when you press the throttle?
Mertin

21st Oct 09 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your spraying it in while the cars running, give it some revs.

Otherwise the engine will stall as carb cleaner isnt combustable

If its an idle problem best off removing the throttle body and giving it a good clean along the the idle control valve.
deano87

21st Oct 09 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Idle Control Valve isn't cleanable, sealed unit on the X10XE's. Has already been replaced with a brand new Bosch one from AutoVaux to no avail.

I will try cleaning the throttle body out etc and removing it
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

21st Oct 09 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always done mine still on the car tbh, it doesn't need to be minty mint so I usually hold the butterfly open, give it a good spray, quick wipe round with a rag and job done.

If you do it like that it'll turnover for a bit longer before it starts then it'll be a bit lumpy from the carb cleaner but after a few seconds it clears and all's good
SR91

21st Oct 09 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I give my 12xe a coat of carb cleaner on the butterfly, cleaned the bugger right up!

New Poll