corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Another Headline for the Knckle Draggers Out There

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another Headline for the Knckle Draggers Out There
ed

User status: Offline
19th Oct 09 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/19/hunt_broadband_tax/

So who's going to pay to get the UK out of the internet dark ages if they get in?
Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should be privately funded imo, afterall, they will be the ones using it to bring in 100's of millions in revenue.
pow
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is one tax i'm not actually that bothered about, seems a good diea
ed

19th Oct 09 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that in the future there will be a lot of cloud computing going on. Your iPod wont hold music in it, it will rely on apps like Spotify or Last.FM, you will use applications in your web broswer usin a subscription based service as opposed to buying software, you wont need to go to the video store to rent or buy a movie, it will be provided by your set top box or games console e.t.c...

But for anthing like that to ever happen, we need faster internet connections all over.
Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, that is certainly the future imo.

What sort of speed can wire coverage wireless get? Would it not be wiser to invest in that then spend £200m+ a year on fast wired networks (which still wouldnt provide the speed needed in a lot of rural areas).
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that all sounds good ed but in the future I think I will be still downloading games and nto paying for them, still downloading movies and not paying for them, and still downloading music and not paying for them.
willay
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

What sort of speed can wire coverage wireless get? Would it not be wiser to invest in that then spend £200m+ a year on fast wired networks (which still wouldnt provide the speed needed in a lot of rural areas).

the wire will always rule all.
ed

19th Oct 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
that all sounds good ed but in the future I think I will be still downloading games and nto paying for them, still downloading movies and not paying for them, and still downloading music and not paying for them.
Precicely why you need a 200mb broadband connection then
willay
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the people in control of all of this, digital britain and all that, we need people who actually know what they are on about.
Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yeah I know we'll always get better speeds with wired networks, but is their a wireless alternative that offers very high speeds that would be a better alternative for rural areas rather than having to run a silly amount of fibreoptic for a few houses in an area, etc.
willay
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah I know we'll always get better speeds with wired networks, but is their a wireless alternative that offers very high speeds that would be a better alternative for rural areas rather than having to run a silly amount of fibreoptic for a few houses in an area, etc.

why wouldnt you want to run fibre to every house in the UK? couple that with IPv6 and before you know it your fridge has an IP address
ed

19th Oct 09 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Department of Health need a good connection for themselves and their staff. They're coming up with ideas for new cloud systems, as are other government departments.

Also, the government has something like 200 data centres which run at something like 10% capacity for most of the year, until it's tax return day when they run at nearly full capacity for a little while. This is apparently against their green policies so they want to use a cloud for that too.

More arguments towards it. So we're even more likely to be able to download a movie torrent on 2 mins
Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
why wouldnt you want to run fibre to every house in the UK? couple that with IPv6 and before you know it your fridge has an IP address

As the cost to do so would be astronomical, much more than the £200m being mentioned would be needed, especially if a wireless option is available.
willay
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all this talk of cloud computing makes me sick, its been about for donkeys years and now its the latest buzzword. BOO
Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed

19th Oct 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only mention it because a few people are thinking it could be quite useful at the moment
willay
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

As the cost to do so would be astronomical, much more than the £200m being mentioned would be needed, especially if a wireless option is available.

wireless aint shit yo, and is weather dependant. In a day and age where the Internet can carry yo 999 calls to da pigs, its quite important yo! bro.
ed

19th Oct 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VOIP mobiles
Cosmo

Does your boss know you've been drinking?

Nah, I get what you're saying, hence why I asked if their was a wireless alternative, i.e. some sort of technology that isnt being used currently that would minimise the current faults of wireless.

I just dont get why more isnt being invested in improving the wireless signal rather than throwing silly amounts (not just money, but the time it would take and the disruption to the general public why these works go on) it would take to do it.
Cosmo

quote:
Originally posted by ed
VOIP mobiles

I got given a free voip mobile from BT when I sorted all the voip in Liverpool.
ed

19th Oct 09 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When we finally piss off a country in the middle east enough for them to bomb us, a wired network is probably going to be a bit more difficult to take out in comparison to a wireless one.

Bomb all the clearly visable antennas, or try and take out hidden underground cables...

[Edited on 19-10-2009 by ed]
Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely its just as easy to hit the exchanges?
ed

19th Oct 09 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the idea was that if you did take out some exchanges/cables it would re-route itself. I guess you could take them all out, or use a similar system of exchanges, but wireless.

willay
Premium Member

19th Oct 09 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
When we finally piss off a country in the middle east enough for them to bomb us, a wired network is probably going to be a bit more difficult to take out in comparison to a wireless one.

Bomb all the clearly visable antennas, or try and take out hidden underground cables...

Just for lols, the whole reason the Internet is here is because a network fo networks was created to ensure communication stayed online during the cold war. That network was called ARPANET.
Cosmo

19th Oct 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good job it wasnt called AOLNET or it would of gone down every few mins.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll