corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Heated Towel Radiator

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Heated Towel Radiator
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Oct 09 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I broke my flimsy argos towel rail a few weeks ago, and finally got round to B&Q to find a new one - but stumbled across those nifty heated towel rail thingy wotsits, and I want one

Are they a straight swap for a radiator, and could a complete novice like me get anywhere close to fitting one properly, or is it worth getting in a plumber?

My 'canvas' is as follows:

The rubber pipes you can sort of see disappear behind the plasterboard somewhere... but would those same pipes detach from the radiator and plug into the new towel rail radiator?

Cheers!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dannymccann

15th Oct 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry its not very helpful but that side under the rad really could do with a clean
deanmcreynolds26

15th Oct 09 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i imagine the pipes run central into the wall?

could fit the towel rail, patch the holes for the existing radiator and fit the new one with 2x new valves..

make sure u get the same width thought for length of pipes

not really a big job, but if u dont know what your doing, get someone that does mate
ash_corsa

15th Oct 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you'll need different valves for the bottom of the towel rail mate, the ones fitted now are 90 degree ones, you may need ones that look like this

Im no plumber tho! The plastic pipes will run up the wall in the centre of the existing radiator.
You may be able to get angled towel rail valves which take the plastic pipe rather than having those adaptors on the bottom aswell.

Just make sure the rad you get is a simillar width to the rad you have now, height doesnt matter too much.

You'll have to drain the whole heating system to swap it though

If you arent or dont know anyone who is confident at doing it, id get a plumber in, wouldnt cost much at all especially if you offered to pay 'cash'

Colin

15th Oct 09 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id probably want to rip it all out & do it neat so the pipes come out the plasterboard at the right bit & not coming from a back box. You'll need new valves as mentioned anyway.

[Edited on 15-10-2009 by Colin]
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Oct 09 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one guys cheers, I'll have a chat with a plumber or two to see how big of a job it is in their eyes.

Getting the new valves isn't a problem - and yeah the pipes both go through the same hole in the centre of the existing radiator. Re-plastering wasn't really part of my master plan to dry my towels - I'm sure there must be a neat-ish way of tidying it up.

I'll have a look around on some DIY websites, but i'll definately be getting a plumber in to do the work

Cleaning it now danny

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ash_corsa

15th Oct 09 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin is right, the pipes will exit out of either a backbox or a shitty hole!
You'll see both the hole and the plastic pipes when the towel radiator is fitted.
Cavey

15th Oct 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing to do with the plumbing, but there's a load on homebase, and will be a further 10% off on the 24/25th weekend

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?storeId=20001&langId=-1&c_2=2%7Ccat_14046955%7CHeated+towel+rails%7C14110959&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CBathroom%7C14046955&c_3=3|cat_14110959|Central+heating|14110960
deanmcreynolds26

15th Oct 09 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fancy towel rail with centre set valves?

http://www.smrbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/Signal-Heated-Towel-Rail.html

prob a bit more than you were originally planning,
unless you wana box in a small section of pipes which would prob work out cheaper than replastering?!
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Oct 09 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deanmcreynolds26
fancy towel rail with centre set valves?

http://www.smrbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/Signal-Heated-Towel-Rail.html

prob a bit more than you were originally planning,
unless you wana box in a small section of pipes which would prob work out cheaper than replastering?!

Sweet! I would pay for that tbh, only - I don't have enough towels to fill it

Good to know that they do exist with central valves though...

If I were to mess around with the plastering (got a family member or two I could bully into doing this for me) would the valves actually sit 'in' the wall so that there is no pipe showing at all? Stupid questions now I know, but I assume there exists some kind of bracket to attach the valve to the wall, rather than have it 'floating' away from the wall and having the pipes come through a hole to meet them.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
deanmcreynolds26

16th Oct 09 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.towelradiator.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=167

could get an angled trv and hide all the pipework in the wall again if you know someone that can do the plasterwork,

may need to extend a wee bit of pipe as well, but am sure whoever does it for ya wont be a problem

[Edited on 16-10-2009 by deanmcreynolds26]
mattk

16th Oct 09 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piss easy
16vKarlos

25th Oct 09 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was about to say Call upon Mattk.. What a help he is

Karlos
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Oct 09 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 16vKarlos

I was about to say Call upon Mattk.. What a help he is

Karlos

He's welcome to take a trip up to show me just how easy it is

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll