corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » What was your income when you first got on the ladder?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What was your income when you first got on the ladder?
Carl

User status: Offline
12th Oct 09 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest what were you or more likely you and your partner bringing in? Obviously everyone has different amounts of deposits and different sized mortgages, but just want to get a feel really.

RichR
Premium Member

12th Oct 09 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was on £25,000 the missus was on £22,000 - our mortgage was £110,000 so just under 2.5x our annual salary. However, we're now on a combined £75,000 so have been overpaying every month - hopefully come renewal time next June, we should be in the position for a good deal, interest rates dependant

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by LiVe LeE]
Carl

12th Oct 09 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did you go at first? we are on 36k at present but houses are a lot cheaper up here so it would work out about 2.5x.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Oct 09 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not bad, remember that invariably the first month's payment will be larger than normal as they'll work it from the exchange date with a standard payment date so you could end up paying almost double in the first month.

We didn't get on to bad but then we weren't living there as we were renovating it. We also had a 12month Council tax break as the house was classed as uninhabitable as it had no bathroom or kitchen. Still had Gas/Electric bills to pay and set up a direct debit of £30 for each per month, but we were using nowhere near that - in the end they gave it all back but I had been trying to build up credit so that when we did move in we had a buffer for any big bills - Its definately worth considering; direct debit the same amount through the year, build up a credit in the summer to help keep the payments down in the winter
RichR
Premium Member

12th Oct 09 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

our mortgage stands us at £719 per month; I can' remember the rate but all in all we spend about £1000-£1200 each month on mortgage + bills excluding TV License (not got one yet as no aerial on the house) or Food/drink etc
Colin

12th Oct 09 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was on around 13k when I bought my 1st place. 1 bed flat....offers over 28k it was
Carl

12th Oct 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one, cheers. It's good to know and get an idea. I just need to wein my girlfriend off holidays, it's what she lives for though.
We are both moving up the career ladder but at the same time we aren't near to starting getting a deposit. I'm also trying to get he to pass her driving test first so its out of the way!
Serious chat time I think soon!
Colin

12th Oct 09 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our new place the (currently getting built) mortgage is 120k, payments are 650-ish a month (30yr mort). Were on 45k-ish between us rising to 75k-ish within 12 months.

We'll be paying £500 each a month into the joint account to start with & see how far it goes.
Kano

12th Oct 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are on roughly 35-37.5k and we got a 70k mortgage earlier this year, had a 15k deposit though so got a decent deal.
C2RL R

12th Oct 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we were on around 35k and bought a 72k house with a 100% mortgage. then 8 months later we split up and i kept the house on my own. it was a bit of a struggle at first but it's fine now.
Half Pint

12th Oct 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

joint income just shy of £60k house was £185,500 with 10% deposit so amount borrowed was around £166k

monthly repayments on 25yr mortgage = £600

we pay a total of £2000 into a joint account every month to cover all bills / shopping and have some left over for saving
Half Pint

12th Oct 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
our mortgage stands us at £719 per month; I can' remember the rate but all in all we spend about £1000-£1200 each month on mortgage + bills excluding TV License (not got one yet as no aerial on the house) or Food/drink etc

have you got a TV or Radio in the house to recieve signals as even with a satellite dish you need a tv license as it is still a reciever, and radio is obvious....

M2RTY

12th Oct 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont need a tv licence for a radio
a_j_mair

12th Oct 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first house
on approx £18k ish

was 100% mortgage on £89k property
rented out for £6k per anum

2nd property
approx £25k + £6500 partner

£102k house 70% LTV
RichR
Premium Member

12th Oct 09 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE

have you got a TV or Radio in the house to recieve signals as even with a satellite dish you need a tv license as it is still a reciever, and radio is obvious....

no, no radio and the TV has no receiving capabilities - built in DVD player so only use it for that at the moment; I've actually cut the old cable from the shitty old aerial outside of the hous and its hanging down. The new aerial is in the shed unfitted.

We have a stereo but its CD only with no radio receiver.

We don't live there, we're still renovating but the upstairs is compelted, as we stop a couple of nights a week maximum; I put the TV/DVD combo up there so I don't have to talk to the missus and can watch a film instead
Colin

12th Oct 09 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
amount borrowed was around £166k

monthly repayments on 25yr mortgage = £600

Sounds on its head that, are they paying you interest??
Half Pint

12th Oct 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i work for them.... variable rate set at BOE base rate (currently .5%)

but i have to pay more tax through beneficial loans which will kick in next year... but that is no where near the amount i'd be paying for an open market mortgage.

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by Half Pint]
Half Pint

12th Oct 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
dont need a tv licence for a radio

edit my bad thought it used to be for radio too

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by Half Pint]
Cavey

12th Oct 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on 18k, missus is currently on 12k or so, we're getting a 123k mortgage, over 35yrs, fixed at 4.69% (i think, might be 4.49) for 2 years. Payments of £581 a month.

This is while we settle down job wise, the missus is getting a pay rise every few months, moving up etc, at the moment, so we'll be better off in a year or two when the fixed rate ends.

We were paying £500 in rent, so it's not a massive rise to be owning our own place
MarkM

13th Oct 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cavey what deposit did you put down?
Cavey

13th Oct 09 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got £10k from parents/relatives.

It's on this homebuy direct scheme, so £123k mortgage, £10k deposit, government/miller pay £57k, £190k house value.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 09 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

19k was my salary, on a 70k mortgage.

14 months ago! North FTW!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Carl

13th Oct 09 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
19k was my salary, on a 70k mortgage.

14 months ago! North FTW!

Was you towing each month? Never thought it would actually be possible to move out on that amount?
whitter45

14th Oct 09 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Our new place the (currently getting built) mortgage is 120k, payments are 650-ish a month (30yr mort). Were on 45k-ish between us rising to 75k-ish within 12 months.

We'll be paying £500 each a month into the joint account to start with & see how far it goes.

not very far if your mortgage is 650 alone
Demo

14th Oct 09 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

house is £123k mortgage is £508 over 40 years. gonna remortgage after our 2 year tracker is up and go over a shorter term. 40 years was just to get us started

my income is £24k and hers is £19k so £43k combined

we are putting £500 each into a joint account which should be ample for bills and food etc

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll