corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Is renting really that bad?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is renting really that bad?
Colin

User status: Offline
6th Oct 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much could you raise if you slashed your luxury living & saved for a year?

Sell your flete of cars & get a nova SR.............& a house!!!
jrsteeve

6th Oct 09 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although if you're really trying to save up a decent deposit why are you going for a fair size property? Would make more sense to rent a smaller place to make it easier to save up as the rent will be lower, as will all bills (esp council tax :mad

Other option is live with the parents for another year and you're already nearly half way to your £20k target with the £800 per month saved.
Ben G

6th Oct 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm in the same boat.

don't want to rent as it's always been hammered into me that it's dead money and might aswell buy as at least you'll own it after a long period of time.

it's just difficult giving up the things you love for a while.

get rid of the cars, stop going out so often/buying clothes and stuff that are expensive and get a run about cheap on petrol/tax etc and you'll manage to save.

at the moment i spent about 600 a month running the focus, not including the cost of tyres/tax so that's a big chunk of money i'll save when i get rid of it.

you could easily save up 20k deposit in a year.

not sure if your missus works (haven't read every post) but if you do both work then it can be done, just need to stay commited to it.
corsa120

6th Oct 09 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you say get decent house in a decent area, has it not appealed to you that you may be aiming to high and want to much too soon......... you have to build yourself up if you ent got the money so look elsewhere, me and my mrs had to and im only in a half decent house now and will be looking to move to what will be my final house of my life i hope but i had to start at the bottom on a council estate.....

got to accept you cant have ur cake and eat it.... aim lower and sell the car, i know so many people round my way who keep saying they cant afford to move out but 2 weeks later go buy a 10k car im sorry you'll have not have the car.... simple as but we are a greedy nation and expect everything now

but i will say i will never go back home unless i am absolutely out of other options, not because my parents are bad just because owning you own place is awesome and you call it home

me and my mrs sold all our vehicles and saved 600 quid a month for a year we had one corsa 1.2 8v between us............. we now have the house nice mk4 astra gsi/xe corsa/suzuki bandit 1200s bike and im currently looking into my second bike ducati 748 possibly all be cause we werent greedy and started at the bottom

also once you do get the decent house remember it comes with bigger bills they dont stop, bigger living rooms = bigger more expensive carpets etc etc list goes on

[Edited on 06-10-2009 by corsa120]

Pop

6th Oct 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure where abouts in Reading you are or where you are looking at. Myself and the girlfriend bought our house in back in July.

Have you considered getting a lodger? That could allow you to do a part buy part rent thing and not be stung for the rent.

It's an option, not sure if it would work for you though.

[Edited on 06-10-2009 by Pop]

[Edited on 08-10-2009 by Pop]
Colin

6th Oct 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imagine being Olivers lodger.....fucking hell
Ian W

6th Oct 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was saving about 70% of my wages for 18 months so I could buy, in the end decided to rent a couple of months ago as I can't get the 20% deposit required.

I pay £550 a month for a spot on 2 bed flat / apartment in a nice area, kitted it out with everything I need (in cash so no monthly direct debits for sofa, tv etc).

Very happy renting, no stress tbh, just pay the rent, any probs just phone my letting agent. Cooker broke the other week, phoned up - 2 days later nice fixed cooker

I'm single with no dependents so I don't have any reason to buy at the minute and have no plan to unless you can get 95% mortgages - even then I might no bother tbh.
Twiggy

6th Oct 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am no good at maths but by paying interest on a £200k mortage over 30 years = Dead money
Cosmo

6th Oct 09 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twiggy
I am no good at maths but by paying interest on a £200k mortage over 30 years = Dead money

You get the house at the end of it, which should (being the word) cover the cost of the house + interest at a min so you effectively get you money back, or at least a decent chunk of it.

With renting the money has gone forever.
J da Silva

6th Oct 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is it dead money? You receive your product in it's entirety thereafter.

This should be fun, are you Sc0ott with another username?
Cosmo

6th Oct 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
This should be fun, are you Sc0ott with another username?

No, this is the kiddy fiddling version, not the racist one.

Sicko selling kids sex toys and advertising it freely in your sig too
J da Silva

6th Oct 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dora the Explorer dildo?

Peppa Pig cock rings?
Cosmo

6th Oct 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you appear to of missed a chance to mention rod fanni again.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Oct 09 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good thread
pow
Premium Member

7th Oct 09 at 07:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

House prices in the Thames Valley are obsence
Neo

7th Oct 09 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
See that is the issue here, the ones I know are either living up north where house prices are more realistic or have come into decent money in one way or other.

quote:
Originally posted by pow
House prices in the Thames Valley are obsence

Agree with both of you, and its exactly why i moved 140 miles away, Its the only way i could afford to get somewhere. Had I stayed in windsor, I'd have been looking at some scummy area, 1 bedroom flat for the amount i spent on the apartment.

Twiggy

7th Oct 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of interest what is the interest on a 200k 35 year mortgages @ an average of 5%?
Ojc

7th Oct 09 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People talk about working your way up the ladder, but the scale in Reading and surrounding area goes from shithole to decent with no middle ground at all.

So you either buy a 1 bed terraced for 180k ex council house surrounded by cunts or spend 200k+ and get an overpriced 2 bed semi detached that isn't big enough to last a few years.

The house we nearly bought earlier in the year was 220k to buy out right and that was a decent size for two people but even then that was semi detached, had off road parking for one person and visitor parking for another and no garage.

How much is your house Colin incomparison?
Colin

7th Oct 09 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Earlier in the year 190k, I haggled down to £152 at the height on the housing slump, prices have started to climb up again. Its not the best area either, but its a new scheme & theres a new road into it so I dont need to drive past the riff raff on my way in/out!

Reading Berkshire:

Anything in particular wrong with these -

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26925815.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&minPrice=140000&maxPrice=200000&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=1&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FReading.html%3FsortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minPrice%3D140000%26maxPrice%3D200000%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D3%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses

Cheap, needs some work (good thing imo) I think if you knocked down that lean to on the side you'd get a drive down the side & erect a garage in the rear garden?

This one - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23182729.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&minPrice=140000&maxPrice=200000&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=2&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FReading.html%3FsortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minPrice%3D140000%26maxPrice%3D200000%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D3%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26index%3D10

Looks good, again needs some work. Looks like a repo. That would encourage me, not put me off.

Another one - Auction this time : http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23571595.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&minPrice=140000&maxPrice=200000&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=3&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FReading.html%3FsortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minPrice%3D140000%26maxPrice%3D200000%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D3%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26index%3D20

I like this one - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27218099.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&minPrice=140000&maxPrice=200000&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=8&premiumA=true&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FReading.html%3FsortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minPrice%3D140000%26maxPrice%3D200000%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D3%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26index%3D70

Reminds me of grandma's

Ok, all of these need some work, but I think they look like decent places to live?

a_j_mair

7th Oct 09 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to agree with corsa 120 when you are talking about ex council semi detached etc

What exactly do you hope to buy for your first property

Are you expecting a good sized 3 bed detached with a drive way and a garage in a posh part of town??

Ojc

7th Oct 09 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All those houses are nice Colin, but in horrendous areas hence the price. They are cheap for a reason, I like the fact the 3rd one is classed as Tilehurst , it's West Reading and thats all well and good if you want to be gang raped or surrounded by Jam Rolls and drug dealers.
Colin

7th Oct 09 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well location dictates the price im afraid, ive had to move to another town/area to get a decent house for decent money. Around here there are none.

Show me what you can rent for decent money.....
Ojc

7th Oct 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-13454919.html?pageNumber=3&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2FTilehurst.html%3Findex%3D20

Just down the road from me, lovely new build and I know the area and reasonable price.

I'm going to show Rach this later.
Fad

7th Oct 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ollie I dont know the area but surely this is better value for money as there is parking to the front and its furnished?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-23262958.html?pageNumber=3&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2FTilehurst.html%3Findex%3D20

Looks like a well maintained property too
Cavey

7th Oct 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
quote:
Originally posted by Cavey

So you don't NEED a deposit if you can find schemes like we did, it just helps a lot!

Every scheme I've looked into where it states you don't need a deposit has been bull.
The shared equity schemes which are advertised as needing no deposit you still need 10% of your share to put down

Any more information on the one you're talking about?

[Edited on 06-10-2009 by Conway563]

We're going on the homebuy direct scheme, you pay for 70%, the Government and Housebuilder pay the other 30%, 15% each, you don't pay any back for 5 years, then it's 1.75% on it. So the house we're getting was £190k, we pay £133k, the other 2 pay £57k. Then after the 5 years we can re-mortgage for the full amount, and pay back the loans, or just pay the 1.75% interest on the other 30%. If we sell up, they take 30% of the price we recieve.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/housing/buyingselling/ownershipschemes/homebuy/HomeBuyDirect/

We were told we didn't need a deposit, but it helps, I'm not sure if that's true or not as we had cash anyway, so didn't worry about it.

It's a long process with the scheme though, we started looking in June/July, took a month or so to have the application approved, we're now fully reserved, just got a solicitor on monday, and she said it'll take 2 months or so now because of this scheme. Expensive for solicitor too!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll