corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra vxr vs Corsa vxr

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra vxr vs Corsa vxr
Kurt

User status: Offline
1st Sep 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are they coming out at the same price insurance wise? Same group?

What are pros and cons of each? Obviously I know the astra is 240bhp vs 180bhp? In the corsa

I'm bored of my punto pretty much and fancy something a little quicker, not really much sense in spending loads on my Punto when the amount extra I could buy something standard with more poower
Adam_B

1st Sep 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the astra is better.
AndyKent

1st Sep 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra is a higher group IIRC, but having driven both the Corsa and Astra several times each, I'd say don't even consider the Corsa. Astra is by far the better car for every-day driving. Worse fuel consumption obviously, but better in every other area imo.

Reliability of the engine is questionable in the Corsa too.
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask OJC he's had both, iirc he said the Astrays much better all round!?
gez bay

1st Sep 09 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsa vxr with the precat (second cat) taken off and air filter will give a astra vxr a run until 110+. corsa handles better as standard, doesnt torque steer. but if you dont look after a corsa vxr the 4th piston is known to detonate, lol.
boz_gsi

1st Sep 09 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think the corsa is 192 bhp is it not?
gez bay

1st Sep 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have a Astra VXR in Red if I had to choose!!
Ben J

1st Sep 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing i'd have from the Corsa VXR is the seats. Otherwise its Astra VXR all the way for me.

But the Arctic is awesome looking.

[Edited on 01-09-2009 by Ben J]
Kurt

1st Sep 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say looking about i could pick up an Astra cheaper than a Corsa too, i quite like the look of the Corsa though and its the same size as my Punto
I'd be quite intrested in what OJC has to say tbh,

Is it not the Arctic that has 192?

quite like the look of this actually
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1196837.htm

shame its only half leather though

this one is quite nice too
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1214296.htm

think i prefer the blue though..

What causes the piston ring to fail btw?

[Edited on 01-09-2009 by Kurt]
gez bay

1st Sep 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not the ring, the actual piston. BOOM! engine gone. just warm them up and run them on super unleaded. they pink on normal unleaded. the corsa vxr is 192bhp and the artic is 200bhp iirc
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That 08 one seems a bit over priced?? Year old & 16k miles asking £14.5k, dont they cost 15k new??
Mase
Premium Member

1st Sep 09 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've looked at a blue one today, 10k miles for £13995. Still a bit expensive I reckon. Not driven it yet though, as apparently I have to book an appointment due to their insurance or something....

Mase
Ojc

1st Sep 09 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gez c16b
corsa vxr with the precat (second cat) taken off and air filter will give a astra vxr a run until 110+. corsa handles better as standard, doesnt torque steer. but if you dont look after a corsa vxr the 4th piston is known to detonate, lol.

Show me this Corsa VXR with precat removed and 'air filter' and I won't turn stage 2 on we'll see if he gives me a 'run'.

Having owned both, here is my opinion.

First of all Corsa, brilliant car. Handles like an absolute dream, a-pillar can be a bit of a nightmare on some roads and roundabouts as it's in your line of sight as you approach particular roundabouts but you certainly get used to it.

This 4th piston thing that is floating around is a bit of a myth, Vauxhall have only had like 5 cars in for the issue, 4 of them it would seem had been mapped at some point by the tuner that will remain nameless.

Lots of tuning options avaliable for the Corsa, 230bhp with stage 1 map and precat removal with 250 avaliable with intercooler. Standard car is (189bhp) more than capable, having recently driven the Mk6 Golf GTi the Corsa would certainly keep pace with it if not start to edge it above 80mph. 130mph is easily achieved.

Seats are nice and I prefer the steering wheel to the Astras. Boot space is pathetic, but unless you are lugging kids around I wouldn't let that get in the way of your decision.

You have to get it with 18" wheels otherwise it just looks wrong, black is deffo the best colour to have it in.

Now for the Astra, 237bhp out of the box. If you go from the Corsa and get straight into an Astra, I guarantee that you will buy the Astra. The moment you sit in the Astra with the black roof lining and seats that you sit in, rather than on. Then you start the engine find a nice bit of open road plant the throttle and it has you giggling like a girl, power delivery is a lot more harsh in the Astra compared with the Corsa but lots of people prefer that. Don't listen to idiots online that haven't a clue about the car, whining on about torque steer, I only ever notice it on roads in awful condition or where lorries have been driving for years and dug grooves into the road, and then I would imagine just about every car on the road would suffer the same issue.

Handling as standard isn't up to the Corsa levels, but a lot of that is due to confidence. The Corsa gives you confidence as it's a lot easier to throw around, the Astra though has lots of grip but due to the standard car having a bit of a wallowy spring/damper setup you just don't know where the limit is. This all changes with a set of decent springs and a rear adjustable anti-roll bar. With these fitted it's a better handling car than the Corsa, not so chuckable than the Corsa as it's heavier but the RARB pushes the car from understeer to a very neutral handling car and all that difference for under £300. LSD will further improve this.

Tuning wise the sky is the absolute limit, 237bhp as standard, Nurburgring has 250-260 with the Remus which is classed as Stage 1. Stage 2 is a remap and exhaust which takes the car to 280-285bhp with over 300lb/ft of torque, not only does the car feel a lot faster but the map smooths out the power delivery as well and makes it a lot more driveable. Stage 3 is 300bhp with the addition of an intercooler.

We went from Astra VXR to Corsa VXR and back to the Astra albeit Nurburgring Edition and trust me now when I say this, you will wish you had an Astra when you get the Corsa.
Kurt

1st Sep 09 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ollie, think i need to go test drive some, A pillar doesnt bother me too much, its exactly the same in the Punto.
I think the reason im prefering the corsa is the fact its the same chassis as my punto, so "theoretically" it should drive and handle the same, which is fine as i like how mine handles, could just use a few more ponies
Ojc

1st Sep 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the Astra.

Honestly.

Trust me.
FruitBooTeR

1st Sep 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£16/17,888 for a brand new 09 Astra VXR at Aston Vauxhall, will be looking into this next year as hopefully they will have come down even more
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
£16/17,888 for a brand new 09 Astra VXR at Aston Vauxhall, will be looking into this next year as hopefully they will have come down even more

Thats quite expensive isnt it!? I thought they were like 15k on the nose without any options!!
FruitBooTeR

1st Sep 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh but if you take advantage of the scrappage scheme etc

Also im sure they might knock it down a tad more if you know how to ask?
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not many peoples got a 10yr old+ car they've owned over a year though.

I dont think i'd pay nearly 18k for a corsa.
Kurt

1st Sep 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin without staff discount my punto would have been 14k
Jambo

1st Sep 09 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might go and pester vauxhall about a nearly new vxr. Damn u people!
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

RRP? There would be some negotiation on that though right!?
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I might go and pester vauxhall about a nearly new vxr. Damn u people!

Shoosht you, you'r keeping the M3!
Kurt

1st Sep 09 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

RRP? There would be some negotiation on that though right!?

Mine was a factory order, it was 13 something with the options of sunroof and tinted windows then i got my staff discount of 3500 off it

pretty sure average joe would pay the full 14k

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra vxr vs Corsa vxr 23 database queries in 0.1021819 seconds