corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » FAO corb, TOMAS and other ICE peeps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO corb, TOMAS and other ICE peeps
SteveW

User status: Offline
25th Feb 03 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You all know my system by now.

What do you guys think to me upgrading the sub to a W6v2. They come in a 13.5 which is ok for my install. You think this sub owuld be louder in any way?? I know they are more along the lines of SQ but hey, it will be run off the 500/1. Which i checked on the chart, and it ca run it fine.

I really want to be kicking out 145dB.

Cheers for any advice

Steve.
corb

25th Feb 03 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your 15W3 is really one of the most ideal bass weapons, stu smith runs 8 of them and has hit 164.3dB. You dont need to upgrade the sub, look at the amp(it could take more power than your giving it) and the size of the enclosure, if you wanted, you could probably hit 146dB in the right box and with enough power.
SteveW

25th Feb 03 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its sitting in a 2.25 cu ft box. Which is big enough. i dont really want to rip the install apart. Its running 500 RMS from the amp, into the 400RMS sub. How much can i put through it??? I have already blown up one W3 last year. Dont really want to do that again cost to much $$$.

How can i get MORE power from the amp???

Steve.
Jamie @ SAS

25th Feb 03 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure the W6v2 only comes in a 10" or 12". Probably thinking of the 13.5 W7. Not bad for a grand.

If you wanted 12" W6v2 then I think they retail at around £470 and produce approx 500w RMS. The W7 is a completely different beast, needing 1000w RMS and a ported enclosure of at least 67.3litres.

Oh yeah, and it's 10.5 INCHES DEEP!

C'razy

Personally if you wanna stick with JL's I'd have 2 x 12" or 15" depending on what your using the car for.

Jamie

P.S. If anyone wants any JL by the way I have at least 2 of almost everything in stock. That goes for the W7's also. Not kidding.

[Edited on 25-02-2003 by Jamie @ SAS]
corb

26th Feb 03 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

set the gains, boosts and filters correctly and play a burp of 63Hz, i used to put 600rms into my 300rms infinity 12's. i reckon that for a 'burp' of bass you should get away with 1000rms, but only a burp.
TOMAS

26th Feb 03 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I believe its more about power than the subs really. I understand though that you dont want to rip youre nice tidy install to pieces. i'd firstly look at getting a more powerfull amp and then a bigger sub, but to be honest NONE are easy as you dont want to modify youre install! DONT be affraid to put more power though a sub than its RMS. 1.5years ago i ran a 15" type R (500 rms) with a T1507 (900 rms @14v) It lasted ages but the dual - spiders tore into about 5 pieces when i bought Ashani's album lol, that was fooking loud but it was in the WRONG box - 1.5 cuft sealed (what you call TIGHT!!) Im now running 2x 12" type R's (300 rms a piece) and im running them with two MRD M500's (600 rms @14v) and they are fine. Just set youre gains right and watch for clipping and you'll have no problems! I take it you want SPL snowy? well here's what i'd do for spl...

1. Bigger Alternator
2. A couple of Optimas in the boot
3. strip the entire rear out
4. buy BIG amps
5. buy a few 15's (2/3) or a lot of 12's (4/5)
6. build BIG ported TUNED box's
7. find 'THAT' note.
For me spl is POWER and ENCLOSURE thats just my oppinion but im a SQ guy.

New Poll