corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » XE Conversion - Won't start... Starter?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author XE Conversion - Won't start... Starter?
Davidkent

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above..

I think i'm ready now..

When i connect the Earth and Live to the Starter terminals, It either Constantly spins when i connect the battery - Doesn't engage, just spins...

When i swap them over, i put the battery on fine - The only thing is - When i go to start the car, i just get a click - Sometimes a constant clicking till i release the key, but it just won't turn the engine over..

Anyone had this?

I was thinking dodgy starter, but can never be sure..

Cheers
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could take the starter off and test it, Although it's best to vice it whilst connecting up the power as it can jumps around.
Have you wired the solenoid to it?
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate i have no idea lol...

Basically, when i connected the battery up, it had what i mentioned to you where it would just spin - It wouldn't ever engage, just spin...

I swapped the wires and it was fine, but when i turned the key to start it'd just click...

In that respect, I know the starter works, and i know that the Wire to it from the ignition is definately ignition live, as i've tested.

I just melted the wires though... lol..

Anyway, Basically, i think before i start messing about taking it off, i need to know which wire goes on which bit of it..

The Ignition live is pretty obvious, as it has a smaller terminal if i'm right - But the other 2 Terminals on there confuse me...

Basically, does one of them go to permanent Live, and the other to Earth?

The gearbox is earthed ok, so perhaps the Negative from the battery goes elsewhere, and not the starter?

If i knew where the wires went, it may well fix my problem straight away, as i know the starter spins - It did also occasionally engage as i was connecting the battery, and the engine would turn over about once or twice...

Cheers
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me go check, I'm fairly sure the Starter gets a permanent live and earth, The solenoid will need a switched live so it powers up on the key and push the cog onto the flywheel.
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah - Its just all 3 connectors are on the solenoid i believe... I may be wrong..

I just don't know which one should go where lol

[Edited on 22-07-2009 by Davidkent]
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics to follow.
The big red goes onto the bigger terminal and the black/red goes on to the smaller terminal.
I've then earthed my starter on the mounting bolt.
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right - So there's no earth on there then..?

Basically i've got the Black/Red on the smaller bolt no problem, But i have 2 bigger bolts..

One i have put the Red, and the other i've put the brown which goes to the battery terminal.. This not right then?
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like so.
Earth.

Power cables.

When wired like this what does the car do???
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Davidkent
Oh right - So there's no earth on there then..?

Basically i've got the Black/Red on the smaller bolt no problem, But i have 2 bigger bolts..

One i have put the Red, and the other i've put the brown which goes to the battery terminal.. This not right then?

I think the earth should go on one of the bolts but I didn't do it that way. I like to be different
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had it wired like that... only i have an extra terminal where i've been putting the earth - SO perhaps i should wire it without the earth on there... and try that?

When i have it like that with the earth on another terminal i don't get much - I think thats when it just spins up..
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if you wire it like mine and earth it to the other bolt it should turn the fly wheel.

I'd remove the starter and see if the solenoid is engaging. You can do it yourself or get it bench tested for about £5.
MAybe the starter is fine but the solenoid not working. Is the car on wheels?
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just connected it like yours, but left the earth totally off, It turned over this time, like its working, so not sure where to put that earth in fairness - The box is earthed to the chassis leg, its basically just a case of where the Long wire from the battery negative goes to..? lol

Cheers
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That long earth wire you speak of is shown in my first picture.
Make sure the starter is earthed!!!
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It turns over but does it start?
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right - I'll earth it somewhere then - I'll check in your picture me thinks...

SO that one you've earthed to a starter bolt, is the long one from the battery?

It turns over, but the battery was small and pretty low, so i don't know yet - I've got the bigger one on charge but i'm not exactly sure whether my charger works or not
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup the long earth runs from the battery to the starter.
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the charge on the battery with your voltmeter.
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Battery is definately flat! lol...

I've earther the Started on the end on one of the 2 small pins - Would that be ok?

Where yours is earthed is too big for my ring terminal to fit, so i chose the end of the starter..?
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ring connector was too small on mine. I opened the hole a bit for the bolt to fit through.
As long as the starter casing is earthed it's fine.
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats fine then, its earthed to the pin on the end of the casing - Awesome, well she Turns over, thats a good achievment - I'm just tidying wires up while i'm waiting on the battery - I don't suppose you could tell me what wires need to be left, and what need to be connected etc from under your scuttle / wherever your corsa loom is?

That way it should even fire afterwards!

Cheers for your help mate, wouldn't have done it without you so far!
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not had chance yet chap. I was going to go and look at 2pm but the heavens opened up
I'll try and look later on
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bugger lol fair shout though mate

Cheers!
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you go out there matey, I don't suppose you could look at the hoses on the TB too?

Basically, there's a 3 Way plug thing on the front of the TB at the bottom - One is a small water pipe going left to the head, Another on the right, going to the header tank - But there's one coming straight out towards the block - Whats that for?

And also, Without a fuel vent Valve, where does the smaller one above it on the right go to? - I don't seem to have the plug for the FVV, though i do still have that spare 2 pin plug mentioned before...

Also, The water pipes - From the water Pump, where does that go, and then there's another pipe just above it, facing downwards.. basically there's 3 places for hoses to go.. lol... I know about the rest of the water hoses though..

Just confuses me - Still won't start, but i'm not convinced there's fuel getting through, There's no pressure in the fuel rail at all when i push the little bleed valve thing...

Should there be?

Sorry for the long message again, but i think with just these couple of things sorted, the car will be ready to go almost!

Cheers buddy
Terry12

22nd Jul 09 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes the bleed nipple should let fuel out when pressed.
Where have you got the live for the FPR?
Is the FPR getting power?

The water pump connects to the black plastic pipe and the inlet manifold via the 3 way hose.
The hose on the top left.

I'm assuming if you don't have the FTV then that pipe gets left off.
The early XEs didn't come with the vent.
Davidkent

22nd Jul 09 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so the Vent is an easy enough fix then - I'll run a pipe and just let it breathe... Though i do have a plasticy rubber pipe that would fit already running along the bulkhead - Perhaps thats it..

Ah, that hose makes sense too, I need to try and find one of those bad boys somewhere me thinks! aswell as a top left rad hose and a hose from the side of the head to the heater matrix.. lol

I've got the Live (Thick red / Blue) wire from the Relay on the XE Loom (Spliced into that wire), to where you showed me behind the glove box - Pin number 8 I believe..

I still have the 2 Ignition lives (Thin red/blue) down in the footwell unconnected though, I've also found a bulleted wire from the XE Loom which is the same colour, so perhaps they should be joined up to that - Its all the same circuit but perhaps its not a 'complete' circuit yet - Not sure if that would make any difference in fairness...

Cheers

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll