corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Sport 1.8 16v - UPDATE - Sold!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Sport 1.8 16v - UPDATE - Sold!
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Jan 10 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 1/2 Months after picking them up, I made use of the decent weather at home and got on with fitting the Bilstein/Apex Suspension stuff.

Started off with the Rears

Hit a snag when I couldn't get the Top Mount Nuts off. So after a lot of swearing, and utilisation of various tools including Molegrips and Stilsons, I fell back on my trusty Junior Hacksaw with a semi-blunt balde, then proceeded to chop the Nuts off...

Almost 2 1/2 hours after starting to cut one, then beating the remnants of them off with a VW Car Toolkit Reversable Screwdriver and a Hammer, this was the result.

All fitted.

I then moved onto the Fronts. And this is where it got worse.

The 2 lower Bolts were VERY rusted and minging after being subjected to years of road grime. A blast of Penetrating/Release Fluid and after breaking the Hinge/Pivot Screw on my breaker bar trying to get them out, I eventually managed it.
Whipped the strut out, then got stuck trying to get the top mount off. Nut was rusty as feck. Gave up after another 1 1/2hr of trying to get it off. Refitted it then filled the cup areas around the nuts on both sides with the Penetrating Fluid and am leaving it til next weekend.

Semi-Fail overall, but kept me entertained for the day...
Saloon

29th Jan 10 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Impressive, it's progressed a hell of a lot.
kev
Organiser: North East
Premium Member

29th Jan 10 at 01:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should do your new rims the same orange... just doesnt like the same on white rims
djgritt
Premium Member

1st Feb 10 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got these this weekend;

Braved the scary dark and cold tonight, and went about fitting the new Steering Wheel.

Didn't go smoothly though, nothing ever does!

Managed to get the old one off without too many issues, no puller required, just brute manly force...

Had a look at the Corsa Squib, and then tried the Vectra wheel on top. Suprise, suprise, not compatible. Tried the Vectra Squib, and again, shockingly, not compatible.

So, whipped the Squib off completely, and fitted everything without it.

All fits nicely, but now no Horn, Airbag connection or Indicator self cancel. Will get a late Corsa B squib (as it is to fit a different wheel to my original, similar to this Vectra one) and see if that fits, when I can.

Other than that, and the holes from removing the Audio controls, its all good. Smaller than the original slightly, about 1", noticeable too.

[Edited on 01-02-2010 by djgritt]
djgritt
Premium Member

7th Feb 10 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished fitting the Bilstein/Apex setup today.

In the process of stripping the top mounts and fitting to the new shocks;

Waiting to go on;

Fitted;

Now the bloody thing sits high all round... :lmao:

Will have to give it a good run and see if it settles further (didnt after rolling it back and forth on the driveway), if not, may have to invest in some lower springs...

Also now just waiting for the clamps to refit the Cav ARB to arrive too, then can get that back on. After maybe giving it a coat of paint...
Kevxx

7th Feb 10 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tidy work!
when i stuck my bilstiens on it brought my car up also, and i thought it'd handle dodgy, but it was absolute fine on the road! i think you'll be happy when you give it a run!
djgritt
Premium Member

10th Feb 10 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, the rear clamps arrived yesterday, all good.

Refitted the ARB tonight, using the Clamps - made a massive difference in securing the bar in place over the Jubilees, as to be expected...

Seemed to put more tension on the bolted ends too, so, yeah.

Then drove it over to my Mechanic, who is going to do the Braided Lines and a fluid renewal - lots of fresh DOT5.1 to go in, which is nice.

Noticed on the drive over that the Bilsteins have changed the feel of the car, the suspension is a lot less 'crashy' than before (didn't get to pushing it much as we had some snow etc this afternoon and it was below 0C whilst i was driving) - AND the refitted, more tense ARB has made the rear end feel a lot more solid, so much in fact that my lower back is killing me after being jarred about everytime the rear wheels hit potholes or catseyes etc :lmao:

Should have the car back at the weekend, as the work isn't being done til Friday afternoon onwards, so hopefully the Brakes will be much improved, and then I can get to giving it a more regular caning.
djgritt
Premium Member

14th Feb 10 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the car back yesterday after having work done on the Brakes and Exhaust

New Rear Wheel Cylinders, Shoes, DOT5.1 Fluid and Goodridge Hoses and STILL poor pedal!

Feels like it only has the last 1-2" of pedal movement to make anything happen. But when it does happen, jeebus, the new brakes make a massive difference... Impressed, but just annoyed there is no pedal feel!

Don't know what to do about that, Master Cylinder? Servo? Pedal adjustment? (if even possible?)

Also, Exhaust system is fecked - rattly as fcuk and needs renewing - has had some MORE welding and adjustments today, but to no avail, so rattly its actually embarrassing...

Then today I've been tinkering again...

Intended to do more, but Naomi took the Mazda to go to the Stables before I took my toolbag out of its boot, so I only had a Terminal Driver and some Pliers...

So, did the minimal.

Pile of bits;

Headunit
2x Door Speakers
Door Trims
Oddments Tray

Not much, but something.

Then, after my shed raid yesterday, which occured trying to find just one little thing (the item below) I fitted something that was originally knocked up for the same purpose for my Cavalier when I was stripping that out;

Carbon Fibre blank

Not the best fit, could do with being 1-2mm taller, but it does fit in there, though could do with a dab of superglue in each corner to make sure it stays there

Once I get back from my imminent work trip, it'll be a case of whipping the seats and cage out to get the Carpet up and any sound deadening underneath, plus i'll be looking at lowering the seats further and getting a new Exhaust too, and running that big red 25mm Cable from back to front...
djgritt
Premium Member

19th Feb 10 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unplanned Modifications are fun...

Basically, went to the Scrapyards near us to get some bits to sort Naomi's Cavalier out, and came across something I've been trying to find for about 7-8 months now. So, had to have it!

Facelift (or 'Post 97' as they are also referred to) Bumper.

A couple of scratches, but I was fine with that as it's easier to Repair them myself, than paint a whole bumper... IMO.

Also, the Splitter part ideally needs replacing, where it was sat on the car on the floor without wheels, but otherwise, I'm happy.

The grille will be replaced with a Badgeless one soon too.

The bumper change really makes the car look more modern overall too. Me likey.

Best bit though IMO? The fact that the scrappy wanted £10 for it inclusive of Grilles and Splitter. I've been offered ones in similar condition across the forums for no less than £50!
djgritt
Premium Member

13th Mar 10 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I made use of the good weather today...

I'll let the Pics do the talking - they are quite self explanatory...

Let the carnage begin;

After a brief moment of getting my chip on;

Then decided that access needed to be improved;

On with more chipping action - thats now 2 rear footwells and the exhaust tunnel stripped;

Up with the yellowy foam shite - weighs a fair bit - then an excuse for more Hammer and Screwdriver related fun;;

The end result - including the rear footwells, obviously;

Quanity of bonded deadening removed today, a further 4.5Kg alone, not including more trim, the yellow foam and the carpet...;

Needs more tidying, and there is still a little remnant of the bonded stuff left under the central part of the dash, but i'll leave that for tomorrow.

Once it's all out and scraped/cleaned, i'll be looking to lay down some paint throughout the interior. Nice.
kev
Premium Member

13th Mar 10 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spray paint your new rims orange i think it looks great on your car white and orange!!

[Edited on 13-03-2010 by kevcr]
djgritt
Premium Member

14th Mar 10 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kevcr
spray paint your new rims orange i think it looks great on your car white and orange!!

Mmmmmmmm, not sure.

Quite like the White on White, thats actually what I wanted to do originally with the Cesaros, then found the Orange in my stuff when I moved and did it for a laugh, then quite liked it...
kev
Premium Member

14th Mar 10 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:

Mmmmmmmm, not sure.

Quite like the White on White, thats actually what I wanted to do originally with the Cesaros, then found the Orange in my stuff when I moved and did it for a laugh, then quite liked it...

i think your cars the only one that can get away with orange rims

maybe do a photoshop?
djgritt
Premium Member

14th Mar 10 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i think your cars the only one that can get away with orange rims

maybe do a photoshop?

Done already, as soon as I got these ones. They don't work as well in Orange as the Cesaros did, another reason why I haven't done it or really considered it...
djgritt
Premium Member

16th Mar 10 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished work a bit earlier today, so instead of wasting the majority of the afternoon on my Xbox or Laptop, I went out and faffed with the car some more, seeing as I couldn't on Sunday in the end...

Chipped the remaining Bonded Deadening off of the exhaust/gear linkage tunnel, needs scraping now to finish fully;

Then, took some of the Dash Apart after finding more Yellow Foam Shite behind it, in an effort to remove as much as I could without taking the Dash out;

Got a fair bit out (not pictured) but there is still some at the very top to come out, so I'll have to remove the Dash anyway to do that;

Then, while the dash was apart, I found a conveniently located Hole near the washer bottle, through the Firewall, to run a Power Cable, which will be used to relocate the Battery to the Boot soon;

Then, after finding some botched wiring on Saturday (with cut & crimped connections with extra trailing cables going nowhere), I wasn't happy with the crap crimps used, so for now have recrimped them all with high quality ones from my work stock, then taped each crimp individually and then taped the whole loom - I'll pick up some heatshrink when I go to my offices next and then solder the cables and do them properly - first picture is how I found it, after the exposed cable visible had its crimp fall off once disturbed, hence why I did them all again;

More to do tomorrow.

I'll be taking the dash out soon to remove more sound deadening etc, and also to tidy up all the wiring and rectify any more botches I find, most likely near the stereo plugs, which is always a common place.

All good fun.
djgritt
Premium Member

19th Mar 10 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parcel through the post today...

Brand Spanking, Never-seen-a-tyre New. £30 Delivered. Win.
Big thanks to a mate for finding it, I was happy to settle on any 16" Wheel that would fit, let alone an identical match to those fitted!

Now to get my Spare Contisport fitted...
Kevxx

19th Mar 10 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loving it as always!

quick question, i have the same suspension setup (i have eibach instead of apex and thew b12 bilstien) i found it to sit a bit, but handled so well, and took the weight on my xe well, what i'm wondering mate is, did you find the Rarb to give you a much more stable feel? is it worth getting?
i've fitted adjustable top mounts etc, found the suspension excellent.
djgritt
Premium Member

19th Mar 10 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kevxx
loving it as always!

quick question, i have the same suspension setup (i have eibach instead of apex and thew b12 bilstien) i found it to sit a bit, but handled so well, and took the weight on my xe well, what i'm wondering mate is, did you find the Rarb to give you a much more stable feel? is it worth getting?
i've fitted adjustable top mounts etc, found the suspension excellent.

I already had the RARB fitted when I changed to the B4s - but overall the setup is very good. I find it very stable, with very responsive turn-in etc. I'd recommend a RARB, but if you aren't 100% sure on whether to try one or not, try the Cav ARB mod (thats what I run), as it's a lot cheaper and if you do like it, you could consider upgrading to a Whiteline.
The only thing I don't like about it my setup, is the ride height, but purely on a visual basis - it looks too high now.

djgritt
Premium Member

21st Mar 10 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyre Fitted, so now the spare wheel has found it's way into the car...

djgritt
Premium Member

1st Apr 10 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some stuff together to hopefully keep myself busy this weekend, if the weather sorts itself out...

Sportex Exhaust System; 4-1 Manifold & Cat-back System with 4" Tail
Will be running the Cat for now, might look at a Sports Cat soon.

Also,

Battery Box, Fittings, Crimps and 2AWG (35mm) Cabling - not sure the cable I have already run will be up to the job, but this will be...

Hopefully, will have this all fitted by the end of the Easter Weekend - the Battery may not be connected, but i intend to have the cables run and everything bolted in place etc...
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Apr 10 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stupid tossbag Weather...

Anyway, I still braved the rain and cold for a while, and managed to get the Manifold on. Typically, it stayed dry whilst I was working under the bonnet, but as soon as I got on the floor, it started bucketing, and didn't stop.

Also, having issues mating the Cat up to the downpipe flange, but did on the OE downpipe too, so must be an issue with the pattern Cat - still, got around it by removing the packed wire gasket and replacing it with a DIY'd graphite paper gasket and blue Hylomar and pulling the 2 flanges up together - seems to have worked, but with other blows present, hard to tell at this moment.

How we started - oily messy manifold and heatshield

After a few choice words, got it all off - note the heatshield in 2 pieces - last time it'll make me struggle...

New shiny Manifold with Lambda transferred across

New shiny Gakset in place

All fitted and pulled up tight

And a nice bundle of pipework under the Sump now

The weather is SUPPOSED to be better Tomorrow and Monday, so should have it finished by the time I go back to work...
marc24

3rd Apr 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lots of work and effort mate, but looking good.
djgritt
Premium Member

4th Apr 10 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a decent start on the Battery Relocation this morning, couldn't get more done as we are doing family based stuff today. Stupid Easter.

Anyway, I sat the Box in a suitable position - wasn't much room between the rear end and the strut brace!

Then, cut & crimped the Negative/Earth Cable and fitted a mounting stud - then terminated the earth cable

Mounted the Box - 8x M8 Mounting Bolts

Fitted the battery terminal to the Earth Cable, ran it into the box, put on the lid and the securing strap

Crimped one end of the new power cable and fitted the battery terminal - will look to running it through tomorrow

Tried to refit the Cargo Netting, but there's a little obstruction now, so may need to rethink how I can fit in the Netting...

Also, as you may have guessed, i'm changing the power cable - it somehow reminded me of pleasing a woman and knob sizes... :lmao:

Basically, the thinner red cable (16mm2) was adequate, and would have done the job ok, but the thicker yellow cable (35mm2) would do the job better and is likely to give better results.

A strange way of looking at it, but slightly logical... :lmao:

If the weather holds out for tomorrow, I should have the yellow cable fitted through the car and into the engine bay, all secured and grommeted etc etc

Oh, and the rest of the Exhaust System...

djgritt
Premium Member

5th Apr 10 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Productive Day!

Managed to finish fitting the Exhaust System and the cabling for the Battery Relocation, also did a few other little things, not all is pictured...

So, went up to my Cousins to use his better Jack and Stands, and also for another pair of hands! Got all 4 corners up for easy access...

Removed the old system - both the middle box and backbox baffles had gone - both rattling like a bitch! Also removed the Cat, as it needed some modifying. Also removed a Heatshield that was above the backbox, and in the way of the bolts for the Battery Box, and chucked it with the rest of the scrap

Cat marked for Modifying and cut - basically, the guide for the packed wire joint was too long, and fouled inside the Downpipe Flange, causing it to not be able to be pulled up fully

Refitted the Cat first - plenty of flue sealant around the flange to replace the Wire Gasket

Then fitted the rest of the System

Looks a little different at the back now

Drilled and grommeted the upper Firewall to run the new power cable through

Then ran the cable with slack to spare for the Distribution block once acquired

Then ran the cable to the Boot, also cut and grommeted 2 holes through the Seat Mounting section to minimise bends in the cable

Then slowly warmed the Exhaust through for all the sealer to cure - cheap paint from Sportex didn't cope!

Removed the Under-bonnet Insulation/Sound deadening

Then went for a blat before leaving for home - let Nigel (cousin) have a thrash so I could get pics of it moving, and also an idea of how it sounds from outside

Sounds much different. A LOT Louder!
Should get through the track sound checks, but going to get it checked prior to Combe, a mate works at a car audio place and has access to a sound meter - I think it should be Ok though.
Car seems a little different to drive, seem to get a small kick during the revs, between 3-4k where the car seems to pick up a bit better and pull a bit harder than before, be interesting to get it RR'd again soon!
djgritt
Premium Member

7th Apr 10 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evening Hi-jinks...

Do some more for the Battery Relocation - ordered a Power Distribution Block, should be here tomorrow or friday, was despatched today

So, get on with some tonight to save a little time;

Remove Battery & Tray;

Put battery in its new home

Retrieve Carbon Fibre sheeting for the Dist. Block Mounting

Mark and cut CF Sheet to size (not pictured as not complete)

Make Earthing Stud for engine earths and terminate

Bit more space under the bonnet - could do with some tidying

Drill through floor/box and fit battery retaining clamp to ensure security within box when on the move - wrap bar with insulating tape in case of contact with terminals

Thats all - managed to blunt my hacksaw blade on the Carbon, so need to change it and get on with making the plate for the Dist. Block, then terminating all the cables.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Sport 1.8 16v - UPDATE - Sold! 23 database queries in 0.2043512 seconds