corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Sport 1.8 16v - UPDATE - Sold!

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Sport 1.8 16v - UPDATE - Sold!
DannyB
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 10 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, I'm in two minds whether to blank mine off with 5mm perspex and just lay some black vinyl over the top. Carbon would look good though hmmm
djgritt
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Cheers, I'm in two minds whether to blank mine off with 5mm perspex and just lay some black vinyl over the top. Carbon would look good though hmmm

The Vinyl covered perspex would be tidiest IMO, especially if the whole roof was coated

I did consider a few options - a full roof swap ; a welded in plate ; a stock fiitting blank with supports etc

Just went for a simple DIY option, seeing as I don't intend to return the car to standard - drill and rivets through the CF and Roof Steel, with a little sealant for moisture resistance...

[Edited on 02-07-2010 by djgritt]
djgritt
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took the CF to work with me earlier and made use of the Model Shop machinery...

So now it's trimmed to size and had the corners rounded off - hopefully the weather holds out tomorrow to get it fitted!

djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Jul 10 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunroof blanking done...

Had Cousin over to give a hand too, plus we had some bits to do on his 306 today.

First off - remove the Electric Sunroof controls;

Secondly - remove the Sunroof Cartridge - we weighed it at 18kg - so a fair lump;

Left with a hole, obviously;

Three - Align the Blanking Plate - and tape in position;

Four - Drill through CF and Roof, then tidy up holes etc;

Five - Allpy sealant and Rivet - we both worked on one side each with the rivet gun;

Six - Apply more sealant inside;

Done.

Need to remove excess sealant from the outside tomorrow once it has fully gone off, then get on with refitting the Cage/Seats etc, and get the tow strap fitted - might darken the rivets yet too, not sure.

Definite weight saving though!
DannyB
Premium Member

3rd Jul 10 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice job on the sunroof, 18kg is a fair weight!
djgritt
Premium Member

4th Jul 10 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Nice job on the sunroof, 18kg is a fair weight!

Cheers - its not the tidiest of jobs, but I work to 'Function over Form'

18kg removed (plus the weight of the headlining, trim, sunroof control mechs, bolts etc - although the CF & rivets weigh about the same as that) should make a nice improvement to the CoG of it too.
FAZ
Premium Member

5th Jul 10 at 08:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hw heavy is the cf sheet? sorry if ive missed it

18kg is a rediculous weight imo!
djgritt
Premium Member

5th Jul 10 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ
hw heavy is the cf sheet? sorry if ive missed it

18kg is a rediculous weight imo!

All in all (inc Rivets), 2-3Kg - was super light!

And,

Got the last bits done before I start refitting everything tonight;

Rivets coloured;

Tow Strap fitted - shown in fully out and tucked away positions;

Tomorrow night, will be time to hoover/brush out all the swarf etc and clear all the rubbish out of it, then refit the Cage & Seats

Then, wash & polish the heap. It's proper minging.
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All rebuilt and scrubbed up ready for Billing.

Well, apart from refitting the front plate in the morning (some paintwork around the holes was drying when I took the pics)

Should be ready for TV Live too now, can't think of anything else that NEEDS doing for that...
djgritt
Premium Member

30th Jul 10 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of sticker additions at Billing - not sure on the Name ones now TBH, was a bit spur of the moment...

Had this arrive this week - Rear Engine/Transmission Mount - need some of the others too, thats this weekends mission

Dug out some sealer and got busy;

Hoping to fit this weekend, along with any others if i acquire some - then will be fixing the front joint Exhaust blow AGAIN...
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

30th Jul 10 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

INTERESTING PAGE, this has made the to-do list tomorrow bigger.
djgritt
Premium Member

1st Aug 10 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was faffing with assistance from my Cousin yesterday - got the rear engine mount done, with normal silicone filling it, but couldn't find anyone with any of the others in stock so didn't bother.

Old one was original - 14yrs old...

We also attempted to fix the exhaust blow - we were supposed to just be resealing the Cat joint - we ended up cutting the Cat out, getting the welder out and replacing the box with straight pipe. Also whipped out the 2 central heatshields too.

We worked around the joints so that they would be properly aligned and it seems to have worked

Car pulls a lot better now, doesn't sound like I'm dragging hundreds of plastic bags under the car, and its louder.

Proper McDonalds cruiser material now
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Aug 10 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TV Live Pics;

8vcorsa

8th Aug 10 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Proper McDonalds cruiser material now
abit like my corsa then lol mines a maccies car and mines de-catted and full system except not got the 4branch on yet and mines a 1.6 16v sport
djgritt
Premium Member

29th Aug 10 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have some new rimmage...

They are going to look

Which then leaves me with a spare set that could find some Road Legal Track Tyres being wrapped around them.... hmmmmm.
Mark.W

29th Aug 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the new wheel choice,should look good.
am4nf

29th Aug 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much better wheels
djgritt
Premium Member

29th Aug 10 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads

Can't wait to get my Tyres swapped over now - keep going into my Spare room to look at them

Can't rush though, they were only painted thurs/fri so the paint is still a tad soft, and the Centre badges are only resting on as they were removed for painting.

Might get some profiled Griffins and do them Orange though...
djgritt
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Castle Combe yesterday.

Preparation was simples -

Top up Brake fluid - light was flickering on/off around corners
Check oil - no top up needed
Check coolant - no top up needed
Make sure car hasn't rusted away since TV Live - looks Ok
Make sure car starts - Ok
Refit Rear ARB in the dark the night before after wandering into spare room and seeing it there and remembering it was removed a couple of weeks back...

No poncey washing for this one, I couldn't be arsed.

Had a good day, felt like I was giving it more beans than normal as didn't have a passenger with me this time so didn't have the edge of cautiousness about me...

AlexW

13th Sep 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rear appears to squat alot, thought about stiffining up the shocks/springs?

New wheels will be cool.

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by AW06]
djgritt
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
The rear appears to squat alot, thought about stiffining up the shocks/springs?

New wheels will be cool.

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by AW06]

Thats more stable/level on the rear than the Bilstein/Apex combo I had before

I've now got Spax RSX Adjustable Dampers with the -60mm Springs they come with - set 5 clicks off fully hard

Plus it has a Cav Rear ARB Addition

Happy with it though, it does lift the inside rear wheel when pushed hard enough now

It might look worse because It has lower springs on the rear than the front - fronts are -40mm ones
Jamie-C

13th Sep 10 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New wheels will look far better!

Whats the difference in the weight between them? Do you know?
djgritt
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
New wheels will look far better!

Whats the difference in the weight between them? Do you know?

Don't know. But you've givenme something else to do now...
daine
Premium Member

20th Sep 10 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you tell us witch cav the `22`mm anti-roll bar came off, I have one on mine and I think its only `18`mm, and have you found the link yet for the front brakes, by the way, car look`s at home on the track , do you always go to combe ?
djgritt
Premium Member

20th Sep 10 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ARB was off of my old Cav 2.0 16v Saloon which I scrapped

Can't find a link for any UK supplier of these brakes, in fact, I can't even find a link for any prices either - I'm still trying to find someone who can get me bits for when the Discs eventually wear out!

I do always go to Combe at the moment, its local to me (40 miles or so) - Thruxton is a similar distance, but they do naff all.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Sport 1.8 16v - UPDATE - Sold! 23 database queries in 0.2290840 seconds