corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Weird keyboard problem on laptop

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weird keyboard problem on laptop
Cavey

User status: Offline
11th Jun 09 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, currently typing from a USB keyboard on my laptop.

Basically when it boots up, all fine, i can click to logon as a user, but as soon as i touch the keyboard on the laptop, it stops the laptop keyboard and the touchpad for mouse working.

If I logon using the USB keyboard, the touchpad works until I press a button on the laptop.

Any ideas? Nothing at fault in Device Manager, but am gonna try and update the driver. Other than that, all i can think is that the keyboard connection is loose or something, but just weird that it stops the touchpad working as well
oceansoul

11th Jun 09 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My laptop has a button on it to change between internal and/or USB mouse (i presume keyboard too but never used it) On mine its Fn + F10.

hth
Cavey

11th Jun 09 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, it's not that, because it was happening before I had the USB keybaord plugged in, only plugged it in to figure whehter the machine was crashing or whether it was just the keyboard/mouse
Cavey

12th Jun 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No ideas from anyone else?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Jun 09 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When it happens, see if you can still tab between different windows, try alt-tab as well. If those still work then the machine is still responding, just not to USB.

Next thing to try would be another USB keyboard to see if it exhibits the same symptoms.

The computer should be able to handle multiple inputs, certainly you can have multiple mice. Not sure about keyboards.
saj_123

12th Jun 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
My laptop has a button on it to change between internal and/or USB mouse (i presume keyboard too but never used it) On mine its Fn + F10.

hth

same on mine.
Cavey

12th Jun 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, it's not the USB keyboard that's screwing up, it's the main keyboard on the laptop itself.

The USB works fine, only way i can use it at the moment.

When i go to logon (on XP btw) I can click on the user i want to logon with, mouse moves fine, as soon as i try and use the laptop keyboard it stops, and the mousepad stops as well. However i can plug in a USB keyboard and that works ok, but the touchpad still doesn't.
James_DT

12th Jun 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remove the driver, reboot, install the latest version and see if it helps.
Cavey

13th Jun 09 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried that and it didn't do anything. last resort is a re-install of windows, i can transfer everything important to this PC anyway.

Last, Last resort, open it up and check connections. Don't think the missus would be too happy with that tho
PaulW

13th Jun 09 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had this before on a few laptops. Main culprit is the keyboard itself or the controller.

As you say, check the keyboard connection (most modern laptops are fairly easy to get the keyboard out), if nothing, then look online for a replacement unit.
Cavey

15th Jun 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took it apart, had a play with the keybaord wire, broke the connector a bit...whoops, plugged it back in the best i could, put it all back together, had the complimentary spare screw, as always, and hey presto, keyboard works again, if it breaks again i can blame the missus now. job done

New Poll