corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I want a job in auto mechanics...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I want a job in auto mechanics...
Root

User status: Offline
10th Jun 09 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really love cars, I'll admit I don't know everything about them but I've learnt a lot when I've been fixing my car on my own and with my dad's help too.

I really really badly want to start a career in auto mechanics because I really enjoy doing it. I have no previous experience or qualifications though...

any suggestions on what I can do? I don't have the time to take a year long coarse at college because I need to keep bringing money in to pay the bills.
mattk

10th Jun 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

College is the only way Im afraid
taylorboosh

10th Jun 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

night time classes?
Matt L

10th Jun 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you voulantered your services to a garage then in the current climate i personally dont think youd stand a chance without any mechanical qualifications.
personally though id either go college if your deadly serious otherwise keep it as a hobby as day in day out it will get boring and less enojoyable.
SportBoy

10th Jun 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would prob have to see if they do a night course or somthing ,
John

10th Jun 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A night course wouldn't be much use either for a job, the only way is going to work in a garage really.
Root

10th Jun 09 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's all good doing a night-coarse at college for a year, but...then I have to spend a year doing a coarse before I can get a decent job, in that time I'll still be doing delivery job or something wank.

and by volunteering, you mean working for free? I'd do that, just for the experience side, I could continue bringing money in with my other job until I felt I gained enough experience to be taken on (with wages) or go somewhere else with some experience under my belt.

[Edited on 10-06-2009 by Root]
SportBoy

10th Jun 09 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which unless you sick in the head i wouldnt advise , i dont think i would do it again if i was otherwise informed.
Ell_Pulsar

10th Jun 09 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not to dampen your spirit but, it does get a lil tedious after a while lol, and i can never be arsed to do my own car lol, but if your serious about it college is the way 4ward as long as they dont loose your portfolios like me lol
john_c20xe

10th Jun 09 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
I really love cars, I'll admit I don't know everything about them but I've learnt a lot when I've been fixing my car on my own and with my dad's help too.

I really really badly want to start a career in auto mechanics because I really enjoy doing it. I have no previous experience or qualifications though...

any suggestions on what I can do? I don't have the time to take a year long coarse at college because I need to keep bringing money in to pay the bills.

well to get qualifications you will need to get an nvq takes about 3 years thats what im doing at the moment, not worth it really alot of hard work for shit money and work on shit cars
Root

10th Jun 09 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't wanna go for apprenticeships either cus I'll be working @ kwik fit changing tyres.

...so I have to work for free to get some experience? lol, like bar work.
taylorboosh

10th Jun 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I don't wanna go for apprenticeships either cus I'll be working @ kwik fit changing tyres.

...so I have to work for free to get some experience? lol, like bar work.

you wouldnt be working at kwik fit, you would be taken on and payed say 80 p/w by a proper garage
Mertin

10th Jun 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, an apprenticeship is your best bet

start at the bottom of the ladder and work your way up. your getting paid, getting experience and also getting a qualification through college at the same time
John

10th Jun 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apprenticeship would probably be the best bet.

Going to work as a mechanic all day is different from liking it as a hobby as well.
Root

10th Jun 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh though John, there's not a job I'd enjoy doing. This is something that I like doing and I'd love the experience so I could tinker and repair my own car no matter what went wrong with it.

It's a job that I would be happy to stay at and continue doing.

Where can I begin looking for apprenticeships? I've tried going round a few garages already, been to a local community center and asked them but they don't do auto mechanics

I'm 20, so I can't go to connexions. lol

Mertin

10th Jun 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
tbh though John, there's not a job I'd enjoy doing. This is something that I like doing and I'd love the experience so I could tinker and repair my own car no matter what went wrong with it.

It's a job that I would be happy to stay at and continue doing.

Where can I begin looking for apprenticeships? I've tried going round a few garages already, been to a local community center and asked them but they don't do auto mechanics

I'm 20, so I can't go to connexions. lol

Send your CV into local garages and dealerships with a cover letter explaining what your looking for. That way, if they dont have a vacancy just now they may keep your CV for when a vacancy does arise

Keep an eye out in local papers for job vacancies. Usually this time of year is when garages look to start taking on apprentices because college usually starts in september and theres alot of people looking to leave school
steddy-eddie

10th Jun 09 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Connexions do help adults out aswell, apprenticeships are for 16-25 as far as i know, im 23 and have applied and just done tests for my local council doing mechanics on the council vehicles
inliner04

10th Jun 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apprentaships are 16-65. I didnt realise this till i was researching, bceasue im thinking of doing the same thing
moka

10th Jun 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate done a 3 year long course at lexus / toyota. His starting wage was about £2.80/hr. Obviously as he spent more time there this went up to probably around £4.50/hr.

He got to go up nottingham quite alot for weeks at a time.

He hated every minute of it and once he passed he quit... He now works fitting beer pumps and is on about 240 a week. lol.
Kano

10th Jun 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started at Renault doing an apprenticeship and hated it, crap money and my own car always got neglected because its the last thing you want to be doing when your not at work. After a few years now of doing this and that I've staretd as a Breakdown/Recovery driver for a local company that has the Green Flag contract.

Love it and I'm earning nearly 25k for sitting on my arse most of the day.. My advice to you is keep it as a hobby as theres very few jobs working on cars that are actually enjoyable.
a_j_mair

10th Jun 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apprenticeships are harder to get once over 21 as minimum wages increase
moka

10th Jun 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
I started at Renault doing an apprenticeship and hated it, crap money and my own car always got neglected because its the last thing you want to be doing when your not at work. After a few years now of doing this and that I've staretd as a Breakdown/Recovery driver for a local company that has the Green Flag contract.

Love it and I'm earning nearly 25k for sitting on my arse most of the day.. My advice to you is keep it as a hobby as theres very few jobs working on cars that are actually enjoyable.

Keep your passion as a hobby i agree with immensely. I loved computers and everything technical. Done my a levels and im half way through uni, working for experience and hate the fuckin things. I get home and dont even look my pc in the eye/monitor/i dno & dont care

[Edited on 10-06-2009 by moka]
Ste L

10th Jun 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

you say that now, but i've got a few mates who are mechanic's, who are into car's, and after working alday fixing other people, cant be arsed with their own..

and got one, who thinking about looking into something else, as it's crap -

thought about doing this myself, but as above, i like it as a hobby but i know i hate it doing it all the time

only way to get into doing it, is apprentiship, or as said working for free to get expriance..

collage coursed full time or night college will be useless as most places want you to have experiance, which you dont get at college really
Root

10th Jun 09 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of paying for a college coarse, well Im going to see if they can get me in on an apprenticeship first, failing that, I'm gonna do a coarse for a year (I know it's 3 years for full certificate...but if I apply for jobs after the first year, maybe I will get one? THen I have my foot in the door and some experience)...
jibjob

10th Jun 09 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best way to do it is apprenticeship. ive just finished my course and cant get a job because i have no experience and havent done my level 3 but i cant do my level 3 until im in a garage so im stuffed now

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I want a job in auto mechanics... 22 database queries in 0.1105020 seconds