corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I want a job in auto mechanics...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I want a job in auto mechanics...
Root

User status: Offline
10th Jun 09 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow, that's really wank...sorry to hear that, keep trying local garages
l15ter

10th Jun 09 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a level 3 technicion, i havnt had any work since dec 08, i have started giving up going to the job centre, its becoming useless going there.
im just saying the truth, unless you have qualifications and experience, you have really no hope in getting a job.
sport16v

10th Jun 09 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better off going to the garage yourself with a cv, if there is the possiblity of a job, keep on top of them, keep asking them questions and be keen, they will see you really want it and you will have a better chance
SR91

10th Jun 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
apprenticeships are harder to get once over 21 as minimum wages increase

Not true No minimum wage for apprenticeships..
john_c20xe

10th Jun 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im on like 4.50 a hour, came down from 7 quid an hour plus tips job to this, been here 3 years, i go nottingham to college once a month, nearly all done now, ill probly leave if i can find somewhere better, once an apprentice always an apprentice, always get treated like shit, i hate it, apprenticip was the worst choice i made, all good going away once a month for a week, payed for, but money shit, treated like shit and i work on shit french peugeots all day long
swill_omnibus

10th Jun 09 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm off to college now to do City & Guilds Certificate in Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Light Vehicles and Heavy Goods Vehicles. I'm hoping to do the 1st year then go on to do body shop repair.

I've had to sacrifice full-time work (due to being made redundant and can't find another) so will need to find a part-time job.

I tried a while back going round garages and it was either nothing available or to old (22) so of to college for me!

Keep trying though but if no success then i'd bite the bullet and go to college. May not be your best interest but it'll one step closer to what you want to do
alan t

10th Jun 09 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

igot my apprenticeship as a car mechanic at 15 and am now fully qualified. i used to have to go down to nottingham as well for 2 weeks each couple of months. now that im qualified the wages still arent that great. as others have said working on cars becomes less enjoyable when your having to do it every day. my advice would be just keep it as a hobby and look for a better paid job because mechanics isnt great. good luck in finding somewhere though mate, as someone says try sending letters to local garages asking if theyre taking any apprentices on. thats what i did, a few places never replied but i got there in the end. good luck!
Gizzy

10th Jun 09 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i started my apprenticeship as soon as i left school at 16 shit pay get treat like shit had to go away for 2 week blocks every other month for 1 year then last 2 years had to go Nottingham for week at time now been doing the job 6years and still shit pay and still get treated like shit.i would seriously advice keep it as hobby last thing you want to do when been working on customers cars all day is to start doing your own.plus you will have all your mates and family wanting free services etc can think of better things to do with my weekends than do mates cars for nothing.experience be the best bet ive learned way more just getting stuck into things and helping girlfriends day then i have at college etc
l15ter

10th Jun 09 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SR-91
quote:

wrong, they have to pay you a certain amount depending on age..mit will tell you this
LeeM

10th Jun 09 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by l15ter
quote:
quote:

wrong, they have to pay you a certain amount depending on age..mit will tell you this

from hmrc.gov.uk

Apprentices under age 19 will not qualify for the national minimum wage
Apprentices over age 19 and in the first 12 months of their apprenticeship will not qualify for the national minimum wage
LeeM

10th Jun 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going into mechanics, starting full time course at college in september, they say full time but its 2.5 days so im going from 37.5 hours at work down to 20 hours or something (the other 2.5 days) and factoring in tax and ALG from college i wont be much worse of financially
Root

10th Jun 09 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing pizza delivery atm, for £5 an hour, that's it. No petrol money or nothing.

So it's not too much about the money, as long as I can get full-time on minimum wage at least...doing what i like i will be happy
SR91

10th Jun 09 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee_wee
quote:
Originally posted by l15ter
quote:
quote:

from hmrc.gov.uk

Apprentices under age 19 will not qualify for the national minimum wage
Apprentices over age 19 and in the first 12 months of their apprenticeship will not qualify for the national minimum wage

crazybrightman

10th Jun 09 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did my Apprenticeship a few years back a good experiance and as mentions mixes getting payed, learning, gaining qualifactions and the thing you just cant buy experiance. it all adds up to make you much more employable!
i wouldn't consider the motor trade a life long carear though it would drive you mad!

as for minimum wage i started on £2.35 an hour!
the above is true minimum wage only aplies at over 18 and if you have been in your Apprenticeship at least 1 year.

[Edited on 10-06-2009 by crazybrightman]
Rob E

10th Jun 09 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My advice - Keep it as a hobby....when you do it day in day out for a living belive me, you loose interest in cars and it turns into a case of after fixing them all day, the last thing you want to do is get home and start pissing around under a bonnet
Mertin

11th Jun 09 at 02:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At my work offices I was reading a bookle tabout different apprenticeships. And there was an advert there saying that this year at some point apprentices will get paid a minimum of £90 a week (or something very close)

I was always interested in cars, but I didnt want to be in an apprenticeship where I was stucj workin on cars everyday, on shit wages and stuck inna car garage 6 days a week

I went and did a modern apprenticeship in the oil and gas industry. 18 months at college on £75 a week with travel and accomodation paid for on top of that. After that 18 months, offshore for 3 year- 1st year 16k, 2nd year 20k and im on a 2 on 3 off rota. Which means im getting a level 3 qualification as a mechanic with experience in the oil and gas industry and I can tinker with cars as much as I like in the 3 weeks off. I love it

Almost all mechanics I know who work in garages hate it after a few years and try and get offshore after their time served

win win situation for me tbh
LeeM

11th Jun 09 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone i know whos a mechanic still enjoy it, that includes some in their 20's some in their 40's and some in their 60's!
im doing it because i'd rather do something i once enjoyed for a career and never do it as a hobby again, i hate what i do now i dont want to do it for another day let alone a lifetime
DizzyRebel

11th Jun 09 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No money in mechanics. I loved working on bikes but as a job it became tiresome and now im trying to get out of it. Ive been unemployed for 6 months now because the motor trade is on its arse and level 3 nvq means im overqualified for any other dead end job just to keep money turning over.

If i was you id leave it as a hobby and attend night school if you want to learn more about becoming a better home mechanic. Id never recommend it as a career move for anyone though, not unless your a whizzkid with electronics anyway!
Root

11th Jun 09 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and views and wants to share their own experiences. Until recently I've not known where I want to go in life, not had an incling.

I think this is really what I want to do. I'll be on more money than I'm on now and most importantly I'll be doing something I like. If I get sick of it a year in then never mind lol
mattk

11th Jun 09 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go down to your local technology college then and and enroll
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Root
Im in the exact same situation you are in mate

Exept ive applied for 11 apprenteships around my area and im going into college today to apply for the full time mechanics course just incase i dont get into any apprenteships
Ive been turned down by mazda and bmw so far but im still waitng on the other 9 garages

But all the advice ive been given seems to be the best advice atm

Send off aload of cv's and covering letters to all the local garages and stuff
Then go and apply for your neerest full time mechanics course at your local college just incase you dont get a apprenteship

Then you have covered every angle

Oh and i also deliver chineese food for 2pound a delivery plus tips
And every one is telling me not to be a mechanic aswell

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by FlaFFy_91]
Root

11th Jun 09 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flaffy, I can't send CV's to local garages because there's nothing I can put on a CV that is anywhere near relevant to what they want to hear. I have no experience

I've been e-mailing my college, asking for information about courses, but more importantly...apprenticeships

It's like £250 to re-sit one GCSE subject as well lol

By the way mate, £2 a delivery? You're probably doing better than me (providing it's a busy place)...

unfortunately because I'm on a fixed hourly rate, it works out worst for me when it's busy....and it's a very busy place. Also it doesn't help that when I drive normally I get 26 mpg, and sensibly 35mpg (just). Also I hate doing these jobs where I'm...wasting my cars life, milage, petrol, just doing my job. It's boring.

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by Root]
Mertin

11th Jun 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
Flaffy, I can't send CV's to local garages because there's nothing I can put on a CV that is anywhere near relevant to what they want to hear. I have no experience

I've been e-mailing my college, asking for information about courses, but more importantly...apprenticeships

By the way mate, £2 a delivery? You're probably doing better than me (providing it's a busy place)...

unfortunately because I'm on a fixed hourly rate, it works out worst for me when it's busy....and it's a very busy place. Also it doesn't help that when I drive normally I get 26 mpg, and sensibly 35mpg (just). Also I hate doing these jobs where I'm...wasting my cars life, milage, petrol, just doing my job. It's boring.

A CV isnt all about qualifications and experience. A bit about yourself, your school qualifications even if their not of any interest to the garage, least they can see you have them.

Dizzy Rebel - have you tried getting work in the oil and gas industry?
DizzyRebel

11th Jun 09 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and views and wants to share their own experiences. Until recently I've not known where I want to go in life, not had an incling.

I think this is really what I want to do. I'll be on more money than I'm on now and most importantly I'll be doing something I like. If I get sick of it a year in then never mind lol

do you really want to be bending over engine bays, on your hands and knees and underneath dirty oily cars in a freezing cold garage at the age of 65? I know i dont!

Mert - no, the thought never crossed my mind. Are there even any avenues open for me in that direction?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yer the only types of qualifications on my cv where all computer related

plus as someone above me sed then its not all about qualifications

also yer 2 pound a delivery is alright when its busy
like on a weekday you usualy get about £15 a night
but on friday sat and sunday you make about £40+ a night

but its alot of waiting around during the week

and i totaly understand about adding milage to your car and stuff
it does realy annoy you after making 40 pound on a night you reilise how many miles youve done
lol

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I want a job in auto mechanics... 22 database queries in 0.0153990 seconds