corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » NAS Box

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NAS Box
Andrew

User status: Offline
29th May 09 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of set ups have you geeks got?
noshua

29th May 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

none, but this one looks shit hot

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-029-BT&utm_source=froogle

you planning on getting one? if so what you going to be using it for?

edit; not being nosey, trying to help out

[Edited on 29-05-2009 by noshua]
PaulW

30th May 09 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't really have a NAS box as such, just a redundant pc running as a storage whore, and sharing via NFS.

So far has 2.8TB of storage, but need more as its about 75% full...
ed

30th May 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to get something like this, I've got no proper backups of my data at the moment which really worries me every time I think about it...
Bart

30th May 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im using a Synology CS407 which is shit hot.
Im giving it a really hard time (with numerous PCs and massive file transfers) and im thinking of upgrading to a similar box aimed at businesses.
Doug

30th May 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bart if you are looking to upgrade give me a shout. I have been eyeing up a 4 bay synology box for awhile now
Doug

30th May 09 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back on topic I believe that Drunkenfool has that exact Icybox model, he has shown me some of the features and they are amazing!
Andrew

30th May 09 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Don't really have a NAS box as such, just a redundant pc running as a storage whore, and sharing via NFS.

Currently have a Raid 5 on an SBS 2008 box. It's a little resource hungry at the moment and templemental. Hence i'm thinking a rebuild and reconfig is in the pipeline. There's the questing on electricity it's using too
PaulW

30th May 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Currently have a Raid 5 on an SBS 2008 box. It's a little resource hungry at the moment and templemental. Hence i'm thinking a rebuild and reconfig is in the pipeline. There's the questing on electricity it's using too

I couldn't care less about the electric, it doubles as a torrent box too so is always doing something. Just has a real basic setup of Gentoo with Gnome-Light installed, no faf or any extra's and is quite happy with the paltry amount of RAM I've got in there (512Mb).

It really does do nothing other than sit in the corner being a fatty with all my data.
drunkenfool

31st May 09 at 02:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
none, but this one looks shit hot

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-029-BT&utm_source=froogle

you planning on getting one? if so what you going to be using it for?

edit; not being nosey, trying to help out

[Edited on 29-05-2009 by noshua]

I have that NAS box with two 1.5TB drives in it. Here's the comment I left on the AV forums about the same box...

Yeah, I've got one of these. Overall im very pleased with it, the torrent and ftp servers work great, and the remote access via WAN has even come in handy (I was at uni and needed to download a documentary about one of the 8 possible topics for the oral exam but obviously torrents dont work there. I downloaded the torrent file, sent it to the Icy box and it downloaded it while I carried on revising, then watched it when I got home )
I found setup was a bit of a bitch though. I plugged in two of my SATA drives from my PC and I couldnt access the files. Turns out you have to format the drives to get them to work in there, even as JBOD, which was highly annoying. Also, you can't create a share folder on the 2nd hard drive through the web interface (although there is apparently a way around this by modifying lots of registry files etc), the only way to do it is to browse it manually and create the folder and then map it as a network drive, but this doesn't show in the GUI which means it cant be included under the user and group management settings.
I've got mine connected via gigabit ethernet and I see read/write speeds of around 20MB/s. Im not sure if this speed is due to the NAS itself or not as I havent tested other cables, computers etc yet, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Aside from this though, its a great little unit. I live in a student house and ive always had my computer on 24/7 so my flatmates can access my media collection, but now theres 3TB of it stored on the NAS so I can turn my pc off when im not using it and save electricity

[Edited on 31-05-2009 by drunkenfool]
noshua

31st May 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a reasonable box, bit worried about the transfer speed though, 20MB/s is equivalent to around 200MBit :eek:
drunkenfool

2nd Jun 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I said, it could be an issue with my network or hardware here, not necessarily a problem with the box itself. Its only an issue when setting it up though, but I just left the data going overnight and it was done when I woke up so its not the end of the world
James_DT

2nd Jun 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a 1TB MyBook World Edition which does the job nicely.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Jun 09 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only have a humble WinXP Pro box with a RAID1 setup, 250Gb...
Pablo

4th Jun 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/external-drives/drivestation/hd-wiu2-drivestation-duo/

Works a treat for me hooked up to my network in a mirror situation

New Poll