corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Am i missing the point?? (your car choice)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Am i missing the point?? (your car choice)
Baskey

User status: Offline
21st May 09 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i drive my dads mg b in the summer i find it more enjoyable with the top down, simple as that although for some reason i dont think id ever buy one myself

What i do find sad is when people pay for a drop top, then
on a sunny day keep the top up???

Fonz
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by micra_pete
Now, me personally, I would have the top down ALL the time not because of how it looks, buts that the point of why I would buy one.

exactly!!

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Surely you driving around with the top down all the time to justify your purchase is exactly the same as the brand new Range Rover owner deliberately driving offroad just for the hell of it?

not so, if i bought it to drive a car with the top down then i bought the right car. i dont have the top down to justify the purchase, i have the top down because that is the experience i wanted when driving.
in the same way someone wanted to drive off road would buy a Defender or someone would want a track day car that can still be used everyday would be justified purchasing an Elise, VX220 or similar.
quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
That's hilarious tbh It'd be like me wearing a full rally-drivers outfit and helmet when I was going to work in my imprezas...."for the experience".

I don't understand this mentality of "it's there so I have to use it". Fair enough, if you want your top down in the sun then go for it, but in the cold with a jacket on and heaters blasting? Come on.

i think you are taking the point too far, unless you bought your imprezas for rallying/rally experience? then dressing in such a manner woud be justifiable although the road legal imprezas are different to those used in the WRC and as such it is justfied that the dress differs between the two . if you bought an ex rally car, or modified your impreza to a competition rally spec and then didnt race it then there is a question of why bother.

i dont use the roof becuase "it is there so i have to use it" i chose to look at buying MX5 because the roof was there.
when deciding upon a car we all have ideals we would like it to have, whether this be engine size, number of doors, the badge, its looks, colour, comfort, driving experience whatever. those who have a 1.6 Corsa for example would rather have than a 12v, but that doesnt mean they use the extra 50bhp "just because its there" it is because that is what they wanted to have when driving.

A Range Rover purchase should only be justified if the lifestyle of the driver suits what a Range Rover can offer. as a 24 yr old, single man with no dependants this car suits my lifestyle, a married Mother of two working in payroll is the lifestyle that doesnt suit driving a RAV4/CRV/X5 etc yet it happens.

quote:
Originally posted by mattfiesta
if you need the heater on with long sleeves then the top shouldnt be down, sad act.

Soft tops are for attention seekers and thats all.

please explain further i am interested in why the top shouldnt be down if it is the experience i bought the car for. take a look at "motoring dress" from the 50s and 60s and leather jackets, hats and goggles were the norm (often looking like a WWI fighter pilot) this was how two seater soft top cars were driven. so why should that be any different now? ok so the pilot dress would look odd, but what is wrong in wearing long sleeves?

VegasPhil - it comes down in less than 60s and will stay down all day if the weather stays fine. my journey to work is 25-35mins on country B roads so a perfect situation to be in a soft top avoiding the faster duel carriageways and motorways

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
I saw someone driving an MG TF when the sun was shining last week. He had all his windows down but the roof up. I did think whats the point in having it if you dont get the roof down when it was clearly the sort of weather for it.

my point exactly! this week it has been ideal weather to have the top down, so why am i seeing so many with the top up?
Brett
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
What i do find sad is when people pay for a drop top, then
on a sunny day keep the top up???

Not really. That's like saying cars with A/C SHOULD have it on when it's hot. I don't.

I simply like the look of cars with a hard top on.
ed

21st May 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another point is, soft tops are fucking noisy with the roof down, when you're in traffic you get chocked by fumes and its really windy.
Rich7585

21st May 09 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been a passenger in Pete's mx5 all the way back from bristol to oxford along the M4 with the top down and didnt think it excessively noisy. I have also been in my old man's f and again dont think that is so, i find that with the two front windows down in my astra I have to raise my voice just as much as I do in a soft top. its all to do with the aerodynamics isnt it.

[Edited on 21-05-2009 by Rich7585]
Adam_B

21st May 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i bought my car i got it for the way it drives. I dont really care what other people think and I didnt put too much thought into 'the roof comes off i will look like a cock' thing.

However, first time out with no roof throwing it down some country lanes was a revelation, it really added to the whole experience and how claustrophobic not just a convertable is with the roof on but any car with a roof is. I cant really explain it, but i think its something to do with taking away that little bit of a feeling of invincibility when your sealed in a car.

Its just one of those things, you wont 'get it' till you try it I dont think. I didnt.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have a convertible

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Fad

21st May 09 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends Adam on whether you have a receeding hair line and listen to Radio 2....that could be embarrasing in a convertible.
Adam_B

21st May 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phew, panicked for a moment there but luckily im still on Radio 1
BYRON

21st May 09 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Is it not just a pain in the arse to drop the top to drive to work?

Not when it can be done in 17 seconds no.
dhdev

21st May 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I don't see the point in owning a convertable unless you have the top down all the time, unless its snowing or raining. Why have a car that ruins almost every driving aspect of the car and then not make the maximum amount of use out of the one ''benefit'' i.e wind in your hair.
micra_pete
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dhdev
Personally I don't see the point in owning a convertable unless you have the top down all the time, unless its snowing or raining. Why have a car that ruins almost every driving aspect of the car and then not make the maximum amount of use out of the one ''benefit'' i.e wind in your hair.

Joe

21st May 09 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fonz this is my image of you in your Mazda.

Brett
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He looks like he's having a good "experience"
Joe

21st May 09 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rightly so!

On subject, I'd definately have a convertible. I love mincing about in my mums A4 with the roof down. Only when its a real nice day though, otherwise you look like a Fonz (read - tit)
Fad

21st May 09 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joe you VAG whoare Pow would be proud of you.
BluKoo

21st May 09 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've only ever been in one convertible with the roof down, and i felt like a complete cock.

I didn't want anybody i knew to see me.
Joe

21st May 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad

It's a diesel aswell! VAG TDI DERV TORQUE VAG FTW
Ash_EP3

21st May 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I wouldn't buy one, I always remember back in January this year (when it was fooking freezing) and an old bloke in an m3 vert with the roof down and a load of blokes in the van taking the piss and calling him a wanker when his scarf was blowing in the wind

As already mentioned it is very much a posers thing, they are definately more suited for girls rather than blokes

Saying that my old man has just bought a Saab 93 Convertible and whilst it's very nice with the roof down you do sorta think whats wrong with opening a window? Most verts also need chassis strengthening too which means extra weight which means a slower car compared to the hardtop dependant on what they do with engine
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
quote:
Originally posted by Fad

It's a diesel aswell! VAG TDI DERV TORQUE VAG FTW

You forgot PD

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Am i missing the point?? (your car choice) 23 database queries in 0.1923299 seconds